Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

This has to be just a rumor, right? I find it hard to believe the former President of the United States would stoop to doing opposition research on leaders of the Tea Party Movement when he's the former President of the United States and not some yahoo in the Democrat party.

"They plan to identify 7-8 national figures active in the tea party movement and engage in deep opposition research on them. If possible, they will identify one or two they can perhaps 'turn', either with money or threats, to create a mole in the movement. The others will be subjected to a full-on smear campaign."

Bill Clinton Plotting Assault on Tea Party Movement? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Okay, I could see Carville involved but Bill Clinton? Really? It's kind of Junior High School for a former President to be so afraid of regular people that he would do something like this? I can't say I'm buying his involvement. It was only yesterday that the Dems were pooh-poohing the tea party as irrelevant "astroturfers." This seems kind of over the top to me to a point where I don't think it's credible. Is it?

» Clinton Plotting Tea Party Counterattack - Big Government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM

97 posts, read 110,741 times
Why would he not want to help fight against candidates and politicians that have different views than he does? That's pretty typical. I guess it's not "mature" or whatever, but its nothing out of the ordinary either. Again that doesn't make it right (at least if your of the opinion that its immature, I could care less) but a lot of politicians and former politicians do it.

And just one thing that bugs me. Nothing against you since when you say "Democrat Party" I'm sure you don't mean it in a derogatory way, even if you oppose the party's views; but it is called the Democratic Party. I know some people think that doesn't make since because Republicans are in the Republican Party, but I don't know what to tell you. If you create a party, you can call it whatever you want, and this organization named itself the Democratic Party. No amount of reasoning and logic can change the official name of the organization. It's the Democratic Party, it's not debatable, that's its official name.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This has to be just a rumor, right? I find it hard to believe the former President of the United States would stoop to doing opposition research on leaders of the Tea Party Movement when he's the former President of the United States and not some yahoo in the Democrat party.

"They plan to identify 7-8 national figures active in the tea party movement and engage in deep opposition research on them. If possible, they will identify one or two they can perhaps 'turn', either with money or threats, to create a mole in the movement. The others will be subjected to a full-on smear campaign."

Bill Clinton Plotting Assault on Tea Party Movement? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Okay, I could see Carville involved but Bill Clinton? Really? It's kind of Junior High School for a former President to be so afraid of regular people that he would do something like this? I can't say I'm buying his involvement. It was only yesterday that the Dems were pooh-poohing the tea party as irrelevant "astroturfers." This seems kind of over the top to me to a point where I don't think it's credible. Is it?

» Clinton Plotting Tea Party Counterattack - Big Government
Look at this little article from Australia and see if you can't maybe see some of the same kind of activity. This woman was smacked by the labor government and other political parties and even jailed for going against the established parties. Could there be a chance that the Tea Party movement could be getting slammed the same way.

Britain's far-right party 'wants Hanson'

Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
First of all an Associate Content article is not a creditable source by any stretch of the imagination. Second of all, it would be naive for anyone to think that the opposition party front runners and groups like the Tea Party Movement aren't researched up one side and down the other. It's common practice before upcoming elections. Clinton being personally involved? Highly unlikely. The Democratic party itself? Yes, and I'll bet the Republican party is doing the exact, same thing of the Tea Party leaders. They have more to lose than the Democrats if they start a 3rd party.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 02-17-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Look at this little article from Australia and see if you can't maybe see some of the same kind of activity. This woman was smacked by the labor government and other political parties and even jailed for going against the established parties. Could there be a chance that the Tea Party movement could be getting slammed the same way.

Britain's far-right party 'wants Hanson'
No, Bill Clinton's just exercising his free speech by opposing a movement he disagrees with. He can't throw them in jail, even if he is a former president. Certainly James Carville can't do anything. I think you'll be fine.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
First of all an Associate Content article is not a creditable source by any stretch of the imagination. Second of all, it would be naive for anyone to think that the opposition party front runners and groups like the Tea Party Movement aren't researched up one side and down the other. It's common practice before upcoming elections. Clinton being personally involved? Highly unlikely. The Democratic party itself? Yes, and I'll bet the Republican party is doing the same the exact, same thing of the Tea Party leaders.
That's a good point too, and I'm sure if Clinton is helping the party out, he is likely not as aggressively waging war on the tea party as the article's diction seems to imply. If the Tea Party wants to have a credible status as a political force in this country, they cannot be above scrutiny and opposition

Old 02-17-2010, 03:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymd View Post
No, Bill Clinton's just exercising his free speech by opposing a movement he disagrees with. He can't throw them in jail, even if he is a former president. Certainly James Carville can't do anything. I think you'll be fine.
It's obvious that he can from what is happening,. In fact he is too busy fight the trnch battle to take control of the democratic party to bring in back from the far left wh8ich happen last time the democratic party committe metet before the election. he warned them then that they could not gover from the left but must move to the center. They ignored the advice from one hwo has been there and have seen what has happened.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
With Bill after them, they may end up like Vince Foster.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
First of all an Associate Content article is not a creditable source by any stretch of the imagination. Second of all, it would be naive for anyone to think that the opposition party front runners and groups like the Tea Party Movement aren't researched up one side and down the other. It's common practice before upcoming elections. Clinton being personally involved? Highly unlikely. The Democratic party itself? Yes, and I'll bet the Republican party is doing the exact, same thing of the Tea Party leaders. They have more to lose than the Democrats if they start a 3rd party.
That's what I'm saying. I can't believe Bill Clinton, a former President, would be personally involved but then that makes me doubt the veracity of the whole story. If they just said the Democrats were involved...but throwing his name in with it, makes me doubt the whole thing. In my opinion, a former president trades in his office at the end of his term, for one of "wise advisor" or "wise consultant" or revered statesman. You know, Clinton and Bush doing the Haiti thing --- that's the kind of classy thing you expect from them along with speaking engagements, books and giving advice when asked for it. Why sully their reputation with slimeball party thug tactics? They've moved past that. They're on a different plane now. If I could see Bill Clinton doing anything now, it should be telling Obama how he tacked to the center and advising him how to do it, like he did, to wind up in office for 8 years. Not that I want to see Obama in office for 8 years but if I was Obama I'd be begging Bill Clinton to help me instead of the brainiacs running the show at the White House, now, that have him still in campaign mode. That's the way Clinton should be used by the Democrats, not as some get in the mud and roll around in it guy.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Know thine enemy. First rule of war, politics, business and life.

My problem with Clinton (both of them) is his idea of "Center" is well to the right of center. Clinton is a DINO completely supporting the corporatocracy dominating American politics and could care less about the problems faced by most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies