Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Although I disagree with any racial group poking fun at other racial groups, you are comparing apples with oranges. Blacks have had a long history of being looked down upon and mistreated just because of their skin color in the US. They were slaves, subjected to cruelty, segregated away from the mainstream, murdered and subjected to other injustices. Although most of Americans are much more enlightened, there are still segments of our society that denigrates blacks - just check out the millions of racist and race-baiting threads here on CDF if you don't believe me. The scars of racism and discrimination still run deep as it was less than 50 years ago when MLK and other civil rights activists were fighting against segregation. This "invitation" is insulting as it seems to imply that black culture is synonymous with ghetto and just shows how much contempt is shown towards the black community by these UCSD students who organized this party.
I highly doubt that this frat put that much thought into the theme of this party. If they are contemptuous of black ghetto culture and gangsta rap, then I applaud their actions even more. As it is, too many black youth and the youth of other races glorify that macho ghetto lifestyle as if it were tough and admirable to be like that. Too many non-black young teens and men imitate the gangsta styling as they call each other "dawg" and the N word, say "what what", or call women "b*tches" and "hoes".

Down with ghetto culture, no matter what race is doing it.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:53 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Being a southerner I have seen in my life,and lately several threads that people,including you,have said inbred,trash,redneck,toothless,among other things when speaking of southerners.It is all fine until someone says a little joke about your heritage or background. and stereotypes.Cry me a river
Sorry, but your comment about thinking it's just a joke proves all of the stereotypes that you mentioned about the south.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I highly doubt that this frat put that much thought into the theme of this party. If they are contemptuous of black ghetto culture and gangsta rap, then I applaud their actions even more. As it is, too many black youth and the youth of other races glorify that macho ghetto lifestyle as if it were tough and admirable to be like that. Too many non-black young teens and men imitate the gangsta styling as they call each other "dawg" and the N word, say "what what", or call women "b*tches" and "hoes".

Ya think? These types of parties are popular in college fraternities.

Students Protest Fraternity Parties | The Cornell Daily Sun

VDARE.com: 09/24/03 - Miller Is Mad; etc
(See "Another Fraternity Party")

Hamilton College - News - Frat Party Protest

Philip Greenspun's Weblog » 2003 » November » 05
(See "Should Universities Permit Free Speech?")

Critical Mass - Duke gets it mostly right

http://xicanopwr.com/2007/10/texas-f...t-theme-event/

Plus many more. These were all found on a simple Google search.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:14 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This interesting because I attended college with a fairly large number of international students many of whom I befriended. I would bring friends home from college (on weekends, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) and I would quite often get comments that indicated that they had a completely different (and negative) impression about how Blacks lived in America.

From what they learned in the media, all Blacks are poor, live in the ghetto (or in the projects), we have loud music blasting profane rap lyrics, all of the women have illegitimate babies, messy and dirty houses, etc, etc, etc. Then they actually meet the real Black Americans and learn that the media sensationalizes/exaggerates the negative aspects.

And to be completely honest, these negative images of Blacks in America are perpetuated by both conservative and liberal media.
You've got to be pretty stupid to think all blacks are uneducated and live in the ghetto (even as a dumb arse European) just like you have to be pretty stupid to think all whites who live in the south are uneducated "red necks" who live in single-wides.

But the point you are leaving out/ignoring is that many do live the life that is portrayed by the media. I see it every day with my clientele. There is no sensationalizing of the negative aspects. It's what it is and it's exactly what is "portrayed" in the media. I invite you to spend a day at my business. You will see very quickly what is NOT made up, sensationalized or exaggerated. Saggy pants with bedazzled back pockets on men/boys, a language spoken that needs some sort of dictionary that has yet to be created (not to mention the hand signals) dirty toddler/infants in dirty pajamas at 2pm, not a pot to pee in and going to the food bank for food but lot's of money for hair, nails, grills and leases on a caddy, women actually asking their "friends" why their 15 year old hasn't had a baby yet, cockroaches climbing out of women's pocketbooks, people with no teeth (and it's NOT b/c they forgot to put their choppers in), mothers losing their kids in drive-by's or random stabbings (over a girl or "fronting" to be a gang member...then when the big guns are brought in and the "proper greeting" by the kid pretending to be a "big old, mean old, intellectual Blood" is wrong: kid ends up..stabbed...to death on the little league field) it's pretty damn real. And it's not a big city. It's a nice town with a huge population of low-income/no-income living off the government all within a few blocks. Which is where all the crap happens and the unfortunate part is that it's also all brought into the schools.

Ghetto is ghetto. And it absolutely exists despite the fact that this is not 1810, it's 2010. What's the PC excuse for this behavior and lifestyle?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with both of you. And I think that party was trying to perpetuate those stereotypes. I don't live in Cali, but isn't Compton largely ghetto. I don't think there is much doubt the point of this "party" was to mock blacks and black history month.

The thing that bugs me with these fraternity shennanigans (in addition to what I"ve already posted) is my suspicion that their girlfriends are in on it, too. Most guys' party planning (in my experience) is to bring out the keg, the cups and the chips. They usually don't go for coming up with little themes, costumes, etc.
Define "ghetto"?

Compton is predominantly Hispanic.

There are awful parts and there are average looking parts. But more importantly, there are far more average Joes trying to live a decent life and raise their families than there are people "gang banging" or trying to be rap stars.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with both of you. And I think that party was trying to perpetuate those stereotypes. I don't live in Cali, but isn't Compton largely ghetto. I don't think there is much doubt the point of this "party" was to mock blacks and black history month.

The thing that bugs me with these fraternity shennanigans (in addition to what I"ve already posted) is my suspicion that their girlfriends are in on it, too. Most guys' party planning (in my experience) is to bring out the keg, the cups and the chips. They usually don't go for coming up with little themes, costumes, etc.
I actually once lived in Compton and did not encounter much ghetto elements. The neighborhood I resided in was very peaceful and the neighbors knew one another. I realize that Compton is statistically not considered a safe area to live in and maybe I just lived in a nicer part of the city. I know that the demographics is changing and more latinos are moving into the city whereas many of the blacks are moving towards the Inland Empire for a better quality of life.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
You've got to be pretty stupid to think all blacks are uneducated and live in the ghetto (even as a dumb arse European) just like you have to be pretty stupid to think all whites who live in the south are uneducated "red necks" who live in single-wides.

But the point you are leaving out/ignoring is that many do live the life that is portrayed by the media. I see it every day with my clientele. There is no sensationalizing of the negative aspects. It's what it is and it's exactly what is "portrayed" in the media. I invite you to spend a day at my business. You will see very quickly what is NOT made up, sensationalized or exaggerated. Saggy pants with bedazzled back pockets on men/boys, a language spoken that needs some sort of dictionary that has yet to be created (not to mention the hand signals) dirty toddler/infants in dirty pajamas at 2pm, not a pot to pee in and going to the food bank for food but lot's of money for hair, nails, grills and leases on a caddy, women actually asking their "friends" why their 15 year old hasn't had a baby yet, cockroaches climbing out of women's pocketbooks, people with no teeth (and it's NOT b/c they forgot to put their choppers in), mothers losing their kids in drive-by's or random stabbings (over a girl or "fronting" to be a gang member...then when the big guns are brought in and the "proper greeting" by the kid pretending to be a "big old, mean old, intellectual Blood" is wrong: kid ends up..stabbed...to death on the little league field) it's pretty damn real. And it's not a big city. It's a nice town with a huge population of low-income/no-income living off the government all within a few blocks. Which is where all the crap happens and the unfortunate part is that it's also all brought into the schools.

Ghetto is ghetto. And it absolutely exists despite the fact that this is not 1810, it's 2010. What's the PC excuse for this behavior and lifestyle?

Just to clarify, its not only Europeans who are bombarded with negative stereotypes of Black life in America; its Africans, Latin Americans, Asians.

And yours is a classic example of a person's limited experience coloring their overall perspective. I do not know what your business happens to be but you simply deal with lower socioeconomic level of Black people on a daily basis.

Maybe if you had a different type of business catering to a different socioeconomic class of Black people you would have a different type daily clientele. You are obviously not dealing with college educated, professional Black people.

I am aware of what you are referring to when you describe you clients, however, myself, my Black friends and family where raised with a different set of values (much more of the Huxtables than "Good Times").

I do not have any personal acquaintances who are anything like your descriptions and I must say that the majority of Black people are not the type that you are describing.

And as for your request for a non-PC excuse for classless/bad behavior - there is no "excuse" for poor behavior but this (less than stellar) behavior exists among poor Blacks, poor Whites, poor Hispanics, poor Native Americans, poor Asians, etc.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

But then you turn around and denigrate any attempt to celebrate the achievements of those blacks who maintained a culture of excellence as needlessly imposing, unnecessary, and annoying. Blacks cannot win either way with racists like yourself. Your credibility is shot.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Good post, but I believe it is a huge problem, since the hip hop and thug cuture scare the hell out of a lot of white people, it makes it tougher for a young black guy trying to better himself. You see, people tend to stereo type the negetive side of things and it carries over to the positive side." see one black person and assume he is bad" as a self defense measure. Not saying it's right,just seems to be human nature. Hope you understand.
The negative shouldn't "carry over" to the positive. People are individuals. Any person who allows that principle to dictate their mindset is by definition racist.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Define "ghetto"?

Compton is predominantly Hispanic.

There are awful parts and there are average looking parts. But more importantly, there are far more average Joes trying to live a decent life and raise their families than there are people "gang banging" or trying to be rap stars.
It was a question; I left off the question mark and noticed it too late to change it.

To answer your question, "ghetto" to me means shabby housing, lots of crime, and the like. I don't know if that defines Compton, just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies