Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti—Eight of the 10 detained American missionaries were set free Wednesday, marking a milestone in a 19-day saga that captivated the American public but irked Haitian leaders who complained it became a distraction from their immense rebuilding task.

The judicial magistrate in the case kept in jail the group's leader, Idaho Internet entrepreneur Laura Silsby, and her nanny and main colleague in the Haiti venture, Charisa Coulter.
Ms. Silsby and Ms. Coulter are being held because, unlike the others, they made a previous trip to Haiti in December during which they apparently visited a Haitian orphanage. "I want to know why she came and what she did at this orphanage," Mr. Saint-Vil said Monday.

Chiller Roy, a lawyer for Ms. Silsby, declined on Monday to comment on his client's December visit to Haiti. Ms. Silsby will remain in jail, but Mr. Saint-Vil ordered Charisa Coulter, who suffers from diabetes, to be moved to a hospital, the Associated Press reported.

Mr. Saint-Vil, the magistrate, also said he wanted to ask Ms. Silsby when she met Jorge Puello, a man who presented himself as a lawyer for the missionaries. Mr. Puello isn't a lawyer but a fugitive wanted by El Salvador on charges of child trafficking and by the U.S. on a variety of charges including immigrant smuggling.

Haiti Frees Eight American Missionaries - WSJ.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Must be pro-bono because she's bankrupt and has been having financial and legal problems for some time from the links posted on the other treads.

I'm sure her god thing will see her through, after all, mythology is a great defense.
That, and "it's for the children" are certainly used often enough.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
I want to know about this fugitive child-trafficker fake lawyer!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I want to know about this fugitive child-trafficker fake lawyer!
Nice friends she has. She sounds like a conniving whack-job.

There are also no reports of her sheep/congregation back home that paid for all this.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
I believe everyone was wanting this thing to go away, but there always seems to be another connection with child-trafficking and this group.

It was strange from the start.

What about the so called "lawyer?"

Was he arrested? As I understand; "it is because of the lawyer" that the two missionaries are still being detained.

What a coincidence.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
That woman is most assuredly shady to say the least.
Mr. Saint-Vil is being very fair minded in his dealings with this..I would not have released her either and hope the other 8 dumb a**es learned a valuble lesson

Old 02-18-2010, 07:24 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Must be pro-bono because she's bankrupt and has been having financial and legal problems for some time from the links posted on the other treads.

I'm sure her god thing will see her through, after all, mythology is a great defense.
That, and "it's for the children" are certainly used often enough.
Seconded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies