Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Obama. I prefer Presidents who aren't suffering from Alzheimer's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You mean like the air traffic controllers?
Are you referring to the air traffic controllers whom signed a contract which stated they would not go on strike, then went went on strike?

Reagan had every right to fire them for violating a legal contract.

Anyway, the answer to the question is obvious... REAGAN! Not even close compared to what's-his-name.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Obama. I prefer Presidents who aren't suffering from Alzheimer's.
Well, he wasn't diagnosed with it until late 1994.

And considering the fact that the 1980s decade overall was very prosperous, and that the inflation dropped from 13% when he took office to under 5% when he left office, and that unemployment dropped several points to 5.5%, and that interest rates dropped from 20+% to under 12%, it looks like we could use another Reagan!

Especially considering the fact that the highest 5% wage earners were actually paying more (by percent) in taxes in 1989 (43.6%) than they were in 1979 (37.6%) and that the lowest 50% of wage earners paid 6.8% of taxes in 1979 and decreased to 6.1% in 1989.
(Source: Information Please Almanac, page 75; 1991)

Old 02-18-2010, 02:42 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
So are you saying the Libertarians are the only party that have true fiscal conservatives left?

Does not Paul run on the Libertarian ticket, I believe he has been on Bill Maher and Maddow Show.

From what I little I know of him, the GOP does not like him too much.
Pretty Much,

No Paul switched to the GOP. He is an outsider but he still answers to the party.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Pretty Much,

No Paul switched to the GOP. He is an outsider but he still answers to the party.
Thanks for the info.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:43 PM

377 posts, read 326,260 times
I would choose Obama. But only by default b/c Reagan was such a horrible president.

The recovery in the early 80s was due to Carter appointee Paul Volcker...not Reagan's tax cuts.

Reagan cut taxes! He also signed 7 tax increases in his 8 years in office including the largest tax increase to date in our country's history.

Reagan's deregulation bent made the S&L scandal happen.

Reagan ordered the mining of Nicaraguan harbors during his little off the books wars thus casting the US as a terrorist nation in the eyes of the World Court...which is the main reason the US does not recognize the court's jurisdiction.

Reagan backed terrorist death squads in El Salvador and Nicaragua...for that alone the man deserves ignominy.

On his watch our country went from a creditor country to a debtor nation.

And finally, he traded arms with our enemies in Iran. An act of treason that was not pursued b/c the independent investigator who chose not to put the country through another impeachment trial.

"A few months ago I told the American people that I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that is true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not."

--Ronald Wilson Reagan, President of the United States

Old 02-18-2010, 05:55 PM

563 posts, read 518,820 times
This shouldn't take long to decide. I would take Reagan anyday. Time to tick off China now.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Reagan's dead...

Get over it.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Just the thought of Reagan being president reminds me of dark times.
I remember them, he never did.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 02-18-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yes, Iran-Contra was evidence of that. (Selling weapons to Iran-who took Americans hostage--remember?)
Selling weapons to Iran (actually it was Israel who passed them to Iran) and Iraq so they would cripple each other and no longer be a threat to Saudi Arabia. Carter also sold weapons to Iran, even several F-16s at a time when they were the latest in US fighter technology.

Must have been part of the deal after Reagan requested that the Saudis triple oil production to starve the Soviets of their primary revenue source.

The pieces all fit together quite nicely. Saudis sure are sneaky. Any coincidence that the Gulf War was also in the best interest of Saudi Arabia? Take a look at the Carter Doctrine if you do not believe me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Reagan's team was actually able to cut sky high interest rates, create credits for machinery investment to prime the pump. those sleights of hand are not available for Obama, since interest rates are already close to zero! just look at how much your savings account pays. reagan was also dealt a difficult hand that was not solved overnight. but at least, his team cut interest rates and there were still an abundance of manufacturing jobs in this country during his time. reagan was dealt the better hand.
Actually the idea was to increase interest rates to starve inflation. Reagan reappointed Volcker for the job. Rates reached 20% at their peak. Manufacturing was not exactly in its prime in the 70s and 80s. There was a large wave of outsourcing in the late 70s especially in the steel industry as well as other heavy industry sectors. Automakers took a huge blow during the energy crisis, and the railroad industry was still stagnant.

However, by the end of Reagan's presidency we had been on the largest peacetime economic expansion in US history, and had a revitalized transportation industry and a new emerging high tech sector that would later fuel the Dot Com bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies