Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a single-payer system in the U.S.?
Yes 27 34.18%
No 33 41.77%
Maybe.... 3 3.80%
I like the German system 2 2.53%
I like the French system 6 7.59%
Yes, if it's voluntary to join 5 6.33%
Other [in comments] 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,736,791 times

Advertisements

HHS warns of double-digit spike in health premiums - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100218/ap_on_bi_ge/us_health_insurance_rates - broken link)

Quote:
Proposed premium increases by Anthem Blue Cross for Californians purchasing their own coverage set off a wave of criticism and forced the company last week to announce a postponement. Now, the Health and Human Services Department says similar pressure on premiums is being felt in at least six other states.
"This shocking increase isn't unique," said the report, being presented by Secretary Kathleen Sebelius at a news conference Thursday. "Across the country, families have seen their premiums skyrocket in recent years, and experts predict these increases will continue."
Quote:
The HHS report found that those numbers are in line with increases sought by insurers in other states — at a time of robust profit growth for the companies and a lack of competition in most states.
I am still in disbelief that there are many who want to keep insurance companies around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,596,663 times
Nationalize Health Care Like Britain, any "reform" that includes those parasites is a waste

Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,921,694 times
When the only other option is to pay for 50 million uninsured and countless millions who play the system, the choice is obvious. Once again the spirit of entitlement that permiates current American thinking rears its' ungly head.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
When the only other option is to pay for 50 million uninsured and countless millions who play the system, the choice is obvious. Once again the spirit of entitlement that permiates current American thinking rears its' ungly head.

You do realize many insurance companies deny people the option to buy their insurance. There are many people out there who WANT to pay for health insurance but the insurance company refuses to sell them insurance.

Then you have the people who work full time jobs but their employer doesn't offer health insurance and they can't afford health insurance OR they are denied health insurance due to a pre-existing condition (which I am sure EVERYONE has).

I am under no illusions that a single-payer system will be free. It does however offer LOTS of savings that our current system cannot offer us.

If there is anyone who has a sense of entitlement, it's health insurance companies who feel they are entitled to rake in enormous profits at the expense of American's lives.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,590,209 times
Sad thing is that the Dems were in 100% in control to fix the problem and instead got nothing done other than blaming Republicans for their own failure to agree on anything.

The Dems basically could have taken an easy pitch and got a base hit and made everyone happy, but instead the far left was swinging for the fences and struck out.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,369,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Sad thing is that the Dems were in 100% in control to fix the problem and instead got nothing done other than blaming Republicans for their own failure to agree on anything.

The Dems basically could have taken an easy pitch and got a base hit and made everyone happy, but instead the far left was swinging for the fences and struck out.

Thank you so much, i just get so tired of all the lame excuses, and there are quite a few! they are now grasping at straws. Do people think we are that naive or what. Him being in office, Obama has nothing what so ever to do with his color, that so many on here try and trump up. It does have everything to do with he and his administration, and his policies and his politics. They could have yes made quite a statement, but no they have not, they have showed us just how, crude, and secretive, and stubbon, they all can be. The blame game this late in any one's game does get quite old and stale. Most can see what is going on around them, they can see how many people are suffering, yet they opt to put the blame on someone else, do they not see that who is in power is not the Savior they thought he would be. That all the fancy talk about CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE, would end up being our Downfall.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post

I agree with everything but the part in bold. What exactly are you trying to say?

Not every Dem is created equal, let's keep that in mind. The Democrats that supposedly represent me are not the same as say Dennis Kucinich (a HUGE single-payer supporter).

Many of the Democrats on the hill are corporate wh*res who pretend to try to represent the people. MANY of the incumbents on the hill need to be voted out and replaced with people who will represent the working people of this country. I'm sick of all these corporate sellouts. If you want to work for a corporation, apply to be their CEO or something.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I agree with everything but the part in bold. What exactly are you trying to say?
I think what he means is, rather than go for a bill that would have had bi-partisan support, the Democrats chose to go it alone, and then act shocked when Republicans wouldnt support a bill that they had nothing to do with..

Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,421,151 times
I think there needs to be a happy middle ground. I do NOT want a government run health-care program, I do want serious reform for health Insurance Companies. The problem is that with the Dems it is all or nothing. Government runs nothing effectively. Pass laws that will place certain restrictions on health insures but don't freakin try and take over the whole system.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,677,586 times
"...at a time of robust profit growth for the companies and a lack of competition in most states."

There is a big part of the problem. Government regulated, and essentially helped monopolies.

Why can car insurance be so affordable and health insurance not? Because there is a HUGE amount of competition in the car insurance segment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies