Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer5000 View Post
Small business provides more jobs than anything else.
Small business is anything under 500 employees.

My company has 400 people, the owner is loaded.

Basically what the OP is saying is "why is he so loaded yet he layed off 50 employees?"

He is wealthy because he knows when to layoff and when to hire to make himself more profit.

Its that simple. He isn't evil, he is smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM

175 posts, read 82,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Where is this section in the Constitution? Can you point to the article and paragraph number for me?
The Sixteenth Amendment (Amendment XVI) to the United States Constitution allows the Congress to levy an income tax without apportioning it among the states or basing it on Census results. This amendment overruled Pollock v. Farmers' Loan & Trust Co. (1895), which limited the Congress's authority to levy an income tax.

Says nothing about who pays and how much.

Also the coutry was established to run on excise taxes but anyway........point being the tax was to be equal among all......on ALL income

Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Oh not because of who they know? Not because they had money to go to yale and make connections? Not because dad has a hook up? Becoming a ceo of a bank with a degree from a small liberal arts school is not an everyday event.

You are also ignoring people who are the best at what they do but still not affluent.
You sound like every other middle class person who is envious of those with money.

Becoming CEO is NOT an every day event, but then again, being the best at what you do is not something everyone can do. Unfortunately, the majority of us will never be better than 'good enough' at our job. Not everyone is the superstar employee who will go on to earn the right to be CEO/CIO/CFO, etc.

You can delude yourself into thinking they don't deserve it, but in a capitalist economy (which we have) if you or I were better at their jobs than they are, you or I would be the CEO.

I am just trying to be realistic. I won't make excuses for my own mediocraty...

Old 02-18-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are those realized gains?

did you read the article????

Buffett cited himself, the third-richest person in the world, as an example. Last year, Buffett said, he was taxed at 17.7 percent on his taxable income of more than $46 million. His receptionist was taxed at about 30 percent.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
"Buffett cited himself, the third-richest person in the world, as an example. Last year, Buffett said, he was taxed at 17.7 percent on his taxable income of more than $46 million."

That sounds about right given the data from the CBO:
http://www.cbo.gov/publications/collections/tax/2009/effective_rates.pdf (broken link)

"His receptionist was taxed at about 30 percent."

Something is wrong there. Neither the CBO nor the IRS report any group having an effective income tax rate of more than 22.45%.
http://www.cbo.gov/publications/collections/tax/2009/effective_rates.pdf (broken link)
Table 1 here:
The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

Old 02-18-2010, 12:34 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You seem to be saying that if companies -- as many of you would have it, "rich people" -- paid their employees better, they wouldnt be such a tax burden on the rest of us.

That is correct.
But if I paid my employees better, I'd have to have fewer employees, right?
I only have a finite amount to spend on labor costs. So do I hire 5 people at $40,000 each, or 4 people at $50,000?

If I hire 4 at the higher amount, didn't I just contribute to the national unemployment?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post

He is wealthy because he knows when to layoff and when to hire to make himself more profit.
and we should protect those only interested in helping themselves why?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
actually he made 46 million dollars last year. He is just able to pay a much lower tax rate because of how he made it

Buffett Slams Tax System Disparities - washingtonpost.com
And how was that?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You sound like every other middle class person who is envious of those with money.

Becoming CEO is NOT an every day event, but then again, being the best at what you do is not something everyone can do. Unfortunately, the majority of us will never be better than 'good enough' at our job. Not everyone is the superstar employee who will go on to earn the right to be CEO/CIO/CFO, etc.

You can delude yourself into thinking they don't deserve it, but in a capitalist economy (which we have) if you or I were better at their jobs than they are, you or I would be the CEO.

I am just trying to be realistic. I won't make excuses for my own mediocraty...

Give a freaking break with the lame class envy BS.... That is not the issue. People don't dislike rich people, they dislike people who treat others like crap and only look out for themselves. It is not envy its morals. If you make 5 million a year how do sleep at night knowing the 20 people you fired just lost their home? Not all people are like that but the ones who are like that are the hated ones. I am not envious at all. I have way more than what I need in life. If I hit the powerball tomorrow (if i played) I would give 95% of it away.

You miss the point becasuse you associate wealth with success.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
and we should protect those only interested in helping themselves why?
Because they don't only help themselves. They employ others and pay a grossly disproportionate amount of the income tax revenue. Look at what happens when their bottom line is negatively impacted:

Quote:
"Other figures in an Associated Press analysis underscore the recession's impact: Individual income tax receipts are down 22 percent from a year ago. Corporate income taxes are down 57 percent."
Meanwhile, look at what's going on with the Social Security and Medicare taxes everyone pays:

Quote:
"Social Security tax receipts are down less than a percentage point from last year, but in May the government had been projecting a slight increase.
...Medicare tax receipts are also down less than a percentage point for the year"
Tax Revenues Post Biggest Drop Since Depression
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies