Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Really, the Democrats have less to fear from this group than the Republican Party has to fear from them. The truth is that virtually NONE of these folks voted Democrat anyway. If they vote at all, they vote Republican. Republicans don't really know how to deal with the tea baggers. After what happened in NY 23, the Republicans are probably scared to death of them because they are active primary voters. But the Republicans really cannot afford to turn them off because they need them in the general elections. The problem is that many of these folks come from the looney bin of politics- the birthers, the racist, the Confederate flag wavers and many anti Semites populate this crowd. Right now the Republicans seem to want to coop these folks but if the start rubbing shoulders with the more nutty members of this group, independents will RUN like roaches from a flashlight. But if they start open warfare with the tea baggers, the tea baggers will either not show up or maybe even start a new party (Sean Hannity is scared of this).
At CPAC, Will Tea Party and GOP Establishment Clash? | The Atlantic Wire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
The Tea Party is made up of republicans, conservatives, democrats and Independents, who have had enough of out of control spending and massive debt and deficits as far as the eye can see. The democrats a bleeding Independents.

Want proof? Mass, VA, NJ.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:15 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,375 times
Well, I would think that EVERYONE should be afraid of Tea Party Nuts. After all, nuts are nuts...as we saw today in Texas.

But what you fail to realize, or just don't want to admit, is that the vast majority of those engaged in the Tea Parties are not nuts. They're simply regular folks who are fed up with a system that seems to be running amok.

And as a movement, they're still in their infancy. The fringe element exists...but will be pushed to the wayside as with any other movement. They're beginning to cement their message of smaller govt, fiscal responsibility. The GOP would be wise to embrace the message. Probably too late for the Dems, who derided, insulted and dismissed them out of hand.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:26 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I think the Tea Party has SOME legitimate concerns.
Instead of advocating for less government (like the Tea Party seems to advocate for), I'd advocate for better government and one that stands up for all the citizens that aren't millionaires and billionaires.

I don't have a problem with government spending, I do however have a problem with tax dollars going towards bailing out Wall Street but not Main Street.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
The fact that both the Clinton machine and the Neo-Con Republicans are in a sweat over the Tea Parties should tell you something.

Since both those main party factions are in bed with global corporations and the Tea Parties frighten them, it seems to me that everyone oughta become a "Tea Bagger," if for no other reason than to help prevent the Neo-Con's from absorbing the movement.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
I keep hearing that there are Democrats in the Tea Party but never see them. They are imaginary like the tooth fairy. On top of that, the Tea Party has never been happy to see a democrat win an election but are overjoyed every time they lose something to a Republican. They're not fooling anyone.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM

571 posts, read 943,206 times
4% of Tea Partiers are Democrats, 55% are independants, and 41% are Republicans.

I wish someone could find the polling source for this, I just saw it the other day somewhere and now I can't seem to find it. Maybe I mixed the indy and repubs up, but I remember for sure that 4% identified as Democrats.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Based on some of the hateful signs I've seen from these Tea Parties, I would say people should be cautious of them.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,195 times
I'm afraid of any zealots holding up the bible in one hand and a gun in the other. People like that can justify almost any action, somehow.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I'm afraid of any zealots holding up the bible in one hand and a gun in the other. People like that can justify almost any action, somehow.
Yeah, they used to lynch black people with a bible in hand. It's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies