Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
He discounts any reasons put forth by Stack because he is convinced he is insane. Yet, Clockworking can't accept the idea that a Muslim terrorist might also be insane and his religous reasons for killing might in fact be based on reasons of insanity. It just shows they are choosing to view these incidents differently and apply different standards.
Absolutely. That was apparent from their first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:14 AM

587 posts, read 1,464,296 times
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I think this is the first little insight into his "regular Joe" side. Written by a staff writter at the Austin States Man who played in a band with him and spent time with he and his family.

BTW the girl was his step daughter.

Shock as friends and I realize we knew suspect

Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,940,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

What?!!!

Yes, let's sympathize with the nutball.
This is exactly what scares the bejeezus out of me.

'Harassed by the IRS?'

How harrassed could he be flying his own gd $100,000 private plane?
My thoughts exactly.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If the name fits...
Have you read his manifesto?

Old 02-19-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
His intentions are irrelevant.
He flew into a building knowing that he would kill people.
I'm sure the families of those dead don't really care of his motivation.
Why not just pay your taxes? Gee, that's a novel idea.

Would you assign the same "so sad, too bad" sympathies for either the 9/11 terrorists or Timothy McVeigh?

The Austin guy knowingly killed people.
If I had a gripe with your child, are you saying that it would be okay if I bombed everyone in your neighborhood?
What's the difference? The end result is the same.

I can't believe that you're justifying this. Second thought, yes, I can believe it.

And the people he killed and their families don't matter? There's also going to be a big cost to fix the building.

Perhaps because he committed a terroristic attack on the US government and it's employees. That would pretty well define it for me.

____
As an aside, don't teabaggers get into frenzy states like this? Isn't that the whole issue? Is there a connection?
Ah, once again you bring politics into the discourse, inferring that he is a right wing nutjob. This is why your posts are so incredulous and littered with falsehoods. If you READ the manifesto, especially the last few lines, you would find that he was more of a left winger than a right winger; the same as the stupid biatch that murdered her fellow teachers.

Try posting some FACTS please.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,826,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I think he's more in the way of the angry father who shoots and kills his entire family before killing himself.
One little difference, the suicide dad, didnt walk into the nearest IRS office and attempt to kill IRS officials before taking his family's lives.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 AM

4,530 posts, read 4,076,373 times
Quote:
Why isn't he referred to as a domestic terrorist. His intentions were clear. He was trying to kill IRS employees in his attempt to bombard an IRS building. I thought only Muslims commit acts of terrorism but I guess he doesn't count because he is White, non-Muslim and only targeted the IRS. That's not terrorism right? He isn't a suicide bomber because he didn't use bombs...just a plane right? It doesn't matter if he took out half the side of the building right? Yeah, he is not a suicide bomber. He is just an angry person from Texas.
I know little about the case other than some clips from his blog that I heard on the radio, sounds like the guy was watching too much Fox News.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:48 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Why isn't he referred to as a domestic terrorist. His intentions were clear. He was trying to kill IRS employees in his attempt to bombard an IRS building. I thought only Muslims commit acts of terrorism but I guess he doesn't count because he is White, non-Muslim and only targeted the IRS. That's not terrorism right? He isn't a suicide bomber because he didn't use bombs...just a plane right? It doesn't matter if he took out half the side of the building right? Yeah, he is not a suicide bomber. He is just an angry person from Texas.
He is no more a terrorist than the Ft Hood shooter, so at least they are being consistent in their definitions.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I think he's more in the way of the angry father who shoots and kills his entire family before killing himself.
Would you say the same if he was an arab born muslim?

Old 02-19-2010, 05:55 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Not that I want to defend the White House or anything but he did try to burn down his house with his family in it, too. If, instead of a plane, he tried to kill his family and then went to the office building in Austin, where the IRS had some offices, and tried to shoot everybody instead of using a plane, and then turned the gun on himself, would you still want to categorize him as a terrorist?

The thing is you don't want to dilute the word "terrorist" if the guy's behavior prior to the incident, doesn't match the description. But if I had to guess, if the guy is a registered Republican he'll be called a terrorist and if the guy is a registered Democrat, he'll be called "some nutjob."

Oops, I have to add to my post that the family apparently wasn't inside the house he tried to burn down.

Last edited by LauraC; 02-19-2010 at 06:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies