Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should the US tax its citizens?
Other / Neutral / Don't know / Don't care 8 19.51%
A 20% tax on all sources of income for everybody is the best way 11 26.83%
Tax the rich more; taxcuts for the middle class and poor 18 43.90%
Tax the middle class, taxcuts for the rich because they create wealth 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Think about it, $100 to someone bringing in $1,000 a month is a lot more money vs someone who makes $10,000 a month.
right, i get that...

isn't that about living within your means?? obviously, if you only earn $1000/month, you're not going to go out and buy a $1500 LCD TV!

food, prescriptions, etc, Fair Tax wouldn't apply to those items...and keeping more of your income would allow you more money to spend on food and prescriptions...maybe you don't understand the idea of a Fair Tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
right, i get that...

isn't that about living within your means?? obviously, if you only earn $1000/month, you're not going to go out and buy a $1500 LCD TV!

food, prescriptions, etc, Fair Tax wouldn't apply to those items...and keeping more of your income would allow you more money to spend on food and prescriptions...maybe you don't understand the idea of a Fair Tax?
I personally think the Fair Tax is just something the right want so they will pay less in taxes. If you look at the organizations for the flat tax (Heritage, Cato, etc) you'll see it's big business that funds this push. That should tell you something.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
Quote:
right, i get that...

The fair tax also prebates for food and drug expenses for the poor

Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,439 times
Quote:
I personally think the Fair Tax is just something the right want so they will pay less in taxes. If you look at the organizations for the flat tax (Heritage, Cato, etc) you'll see it's big business that funds this push. That should tell you something.
please, forget about the left/right crap. also, i'm talking Fair Tax, not Flat Tax.

the Fair Tax is based on consumption. with that being said, logically, the wealthy will pay more, right? the wealthy people will consume more than the poor. are you picking up what i'm throwing down??

Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
The main problem I can see with this is that tax-collection that is based 100% on consumption would suffer dearly during times of heavy recession (like now) when consumption drops dramatically....

I can see a scenario where the recession would kind of feed on itself from there and get progressively worse. Less tax revenue due to less consumption means spending cuts (HAHAHAHAH!!! I can't believe I just said that.... I mean a NORMAL government would cut spending anyway.. ), which would mean some job loss, which would further decrease consumption which would further decrease tax-revenue, etc, etc...

I like the idea in general. Just wondering how it accounts for things like this?
Well it's not really much different from what we are currently experiencing. Tax revenues to the federal government are way down right now because of the high unemployment rate. I'm not sure which would have a greater effect during a recession, loss of income tax revenue, or loss of consumption tax revenue.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 AM

938 posts, read 1,229,931 times
Quote:
Fair Tax...based on consumption. eliminate the IRS.
You trying to start a Civil War? way too many comfortable zombies in America to suggest eliminating the IRS. the thought alone could make them call you a Conspiracy Kook.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
You trying to start a Civil War? way too many comfortable zombies in America to suggest eliminating the IRS. the thought alone could make them call you a Conspiracy Kook.
no there are actually a lot of people who want to end the federal reserve / irs

i'm one of them.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a consumption tax would actually bring in more than we spend so we would have a surplus (even over the big spending we do now) so we would have a trust fund for when the economy dips

btw even in this recession spending has not droppped much

most estimates on the fair tax, is it would bring in about 5 trillion....2 trillion more than we currently recieve, enough to fund a national health system......hmmmm
Quote:
I thought you were against that.
nope was never against a national health care...ALL I HAVE EVER SAID was HOW WOULD YOU PAY FOR IT

and the fairtax is the answer

Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
No. If I work hard, save my money, manage my money and realize gains, why would I want to give 20% away? I'm not saying I would not give anything, but 20%?
I pay way more than 20% now

Old 02-19-2010, 11:47 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Flat sales tax with a monthly paid prebate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies