Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This thread isn't about attacking a man who slept around, and obviously had some character issues.

Just because he cheated on his wife, doesn't take away from the fact he is a awesome golfer. Just as many people of great prominence often have flaws.

Should we be demonizing him for his character flaws? Seriously, is his private life any of our business at all?

Should we take this time to start caring less about celebrities personal issues, and only focus on what makes them famous?

I understand people see Tiger as a roll model, and they are worried about what his actions will influence in other people. However, my Dad always told me "If everyone else jumped off a building, would you do it to?" I think that if Tiger is influencing your kids to be bad people, because he was bad, then you the parent are the issue, not Tiger Woods, or any other celebrity.

To me, this whole media following him is stupid. There are bigger issues facing our country, than Tiger Woods affairs or apologies.
He is an awesome golfer, no one can deny that, he is also a cheat and a low life. I am sick and tired of celebrities thinking they are free to do what they please. I agree with you on the roll model part. Should we demonize him? No, but I truthfully can't stand him, I never have liked him and I think the sorry apologizy which he read was a crock of you know what.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Default It's about the image...

So why was he being paid for endorsing products? It's an IMAGE they are selling. Not his golf prowess. Not someone else's golf prowess. It is IMAGE.

Advertisers want to appeal to you in many ways.

If you wear a Tag Heuer watch, they want it to symbol success and worth.

People don't shell out the thousands for something just because they like the color. Branding an item has a lot to do with positioning it.

Now, what does this have to do with Tiger? He was famous, in the public eye. The media cast him as a family man, a good soul, a guy who worked his way up. People admire that kind of thing, and like to see someone become successful through hard work.

But when someone displays gutter behavior and bad morals, and in this case, really bad morals, who wants their product identified with that person?

Think about it. How many people REALLY admire Donald Trump? There are those who say he was successful, blah blah, but really, is he someone you'd trust or look up to?

You see, if someone wants to be successful and fame goes with that...they ARE in the public eye, whether they want publicity or not. They want the money the ads give them, and along with that goes the notoriety.

Everyone wants to absolve him for what he did to his wife and kids, but heck, if anyone does what he did, it is just plain sick.

Stop absolving him because he was a good golfer. That's not WHY he is losing the contracts.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:32 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
I don't think this is either politics nor a real controversy.... this is some guy trying to make money, and his personal problems.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:26 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Everyone saying "who cares?", well, Tiger cares. He cares that you like him so Nike, and Tag Heuser, and Buick, and Wheaties, and Gatorade make him a cool hundred million a year. I guess there are that many stupid people in the world who would be influenced by a great golfer (one of the best to ever play)

So now that everyone is aware of his personal peccadilloes (which, when looking at the sum total show a pathology towards entitlement and a clear break from the commitments one make in their personal lives) I see the advertisers are dropping him like you would a brown recluse spider/black widow.

And that means less money to put gas in the yacht "Privacy". So if you must ask "who cares?", remember, Tiger cares, and so does his marketing staff. And wife. And everyone else trying to make a buck off his golfing fame

Old 04-25-2010, 01:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
He's a good golfer. He's a thoroughly average and un-admirable human being.

I don't look up to him as any sort of a role model, and neither should anyone else. The fact that people look up to him shows how dumb and money-hungry those people are. I can think of PLENTY of much better role models than that guy; interestingly, most of them weren't that rich.

I also don't give a crap what he feels and what he did / didn't do, blah blah. That's between him and those impacted by his choices.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I don't care at all about what Tiger Woods does in his private life. I don't care that he cheated on his wife. That's a matter for the two of them and is no one else's business. I also don't consider him a sex addict. He's just a man that gave into temptation. When poorer people cheat, and they cheat also, no one cares. And women cheat also on their loved ones.

And no celebrity endorsement has ever caused me to want to buy a particular product. So whether or not he is a good family man doesn't affect what products I buy.

And no one I know thinks that Tiger Woods is a sex addict. We all laugh and say... "and what man isn't a sex addict?"

Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
Am I the only one who realized that Tiger woods never slept with 1 single dark skinned woman?? His wife was scandinavian, and all of the prostitutes he hired were light skinned.

That says a lot about Tiger...

Old 04-25-2010, 03:46 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,321 times
I care that he sorry, I hope that he and wife and family will eventually find a life of peace and tranquility. I really do! He was addicted to sex and not ostensibly in love with any of them.

Now take your average Gov. Mark Sanford...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies