Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,414,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Glad you bring up e-verify. Considering the GOP had the Presidency AND the Congress for 6 years (the Congress even longer during Clinton's term) why wasn't e-verify made an official and enforceable employment law of the land?

And if you read the articles, the GOP did not want Buy America provisions at all.

And with the tax cuts and scaled back Buy American provisions they STILL did not vote for it.

But you are correct, there should be both strong Buy American AND Hire American provisions in any jobs or stimulus bill.
No, I was considering this current stimulus bill, the one passed by Congress and signed by Obama. The one that had e-verify removed by the Dems under pressure from big business. I'm not talking Bush..that's water under the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,037,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, I was considering this current stimulus bill, the one passed by Congress and signed by Obama. The one that had e-verify removed by the Dems under pressure from big business. I'm not talking Bush..that's water under the bridge.

That's the one the links referred to. Could you post the source for the Dems removing e-verify?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,414,339 times
Quote:
That's the one the links referred to. Could you post the source for the Dems removing e-verify?
It was in the stimulus and removed by Pelosi and Reid when it got reconciled.

UNBELIEVABLE -- Democratic Leadership Requires Stimulus Job Access for Illegal Aliens -- Secret Negotiations | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

There's plenty of hits if you google "e-verify removed from stimulus bill"

Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was in the stimulus and removed by Pelosi and Reid when it got reconciled.

UNBELIEVABLE -- Democratic Leadership Requires Stimulus Job Access for Illegal Aliens -- Secret Negotiations | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

There's plenty of hits if you google "e-verify removed from stimulus bill"
The House passed it with E-Verify. The Senate didn't.

Groups like the US Chamber of Commerce were the ones against e-verify, but at least they had stricter requirements to limit the use visa workers in the final bill.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 PM

18,998 posts, read 14,176,568 times
Here's how it all works.
  • Title 12 USC Sec. 411 says that Federal Reserve notes are obligations (debts) of the U.S.
  • To make more FRNs, Congress has to increase the debt.
  • Congress and BHO borrowed trillions and authorized the printing of a batch of new FRNs.
  • But those notes are borrowed AT USURY into existence.
  • EVERY NOTE IS A DEBT. AND INTEREST IS OWED ON EACH ONE.
  • So where do they get the currency to pay the interest?
  • BORROW MORE!

[Severe Head Smack]

Check the record yourself - Congress has been borrowing MORE than it pays in interest on the outstanding debt. (Didn't Bernard Madoff go to prison for doing the same thing on a smaller scale?)

So, NO, the stimulus will not save a job, but it will impose higher taxes, more pain and suffering, and burden the future generations who shall curse us in our folly.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 AM

Looks like they've been lying about how their 2008 Presidential candidate, had his top economic advisor play a role in the stimulus package.

"Zandi, an adviser to the presidential campaign of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), later played an important role in designing Obama's economic stimulus package, enacted by Congress last year.

In an interview, Zandi said he supports a one-year extension of tax cuts for the wealthy - with the cuts phased out starting in 2012 - in part because election-year anxiety about budget deficits is preventing Congress from approving additional stimulus in any other form. He acknowledged that tax cuts for the rich tend not to be an effective way to pump money into the economy because they tend to save it rather than spend it."

Last edited by kovert; 08-28-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 12:13 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,433,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Yes. And that pig Eric Cantor is among the worst of the worst liars. You can always tell when he's lying because his slimy lips are moving.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,061,835 times
Quote:
Looks like they've been lying about how their 2008 Presidential candidate, had his top economic advisor play a role in the stimulus package.

"Zandi, an adviser to the presidential campaign of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), later played an important role in designing Obama's economic stimulus package, enacted by Congress last year.

In an interview, Zandi said he supports a one-year extension of tax cuts for the wealthy - with the cuts phased out starting in 2012 - in part because election-year anxiety about budget deficits is preventing Congress from approving additional stimulus in any other form. He acknowledged that tax cuts for the rich tend not to be an effective way to pump money into the economy because they tend to save it rather than spend it."
All you did was point out why McCain was a bad choice as well. btw, what part of the stimulus involved extending the tax cuts for the wealthy? You claimed one thing, and then to support your claim you posted something that didnt happen.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:31 PM

Ah, once again an apt demonstrated of horrendous reading comprehension skills along with a lack of credibility to boot.

1st of all the main point of my post, which I clearly stated and which clearly went over someone's head, was that Presidential candidate McCain's right hand economic man, Zandi, was a major player in the stimulus package.

That fact that he was and the formerly known as conservatives have been trashing the bill shows their hypocrisy and lying nature.

2nd, the stimulus included tax cuts for the vast majority of ALL Americans.

So what ever delusions, overactive imaginations have manufactured about my making imaginary claims, which I clearly have never made are just that.

Fairy tale delusions.

Still, these kinds of fabrications are not unexpected, considering the source.

Quote:
Lets see: failure to acknowledge reality; illogically believing greater taxes == greater deficits; believes he's a better investigative reporter than Frontline which actually interviews people that were involved in the event itslef; adds up to ZERO credibility but 100% desperation for attention and approval.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:45 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,862,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
See above before you start to celebrate...

Btw, do I need to remind you that the Democrats took over Congress in 2007.. Right when unemployment numbers began to grow?
Good point. The stimulus was a bunch of BS. I worked as a teacher back in 2009. My school received loads of stimulus cash, according to my principal. Yet, 10 teachers still lost their job in my elementary school. My small district laid off over 50 teachers and the number INCREASED when the stimulus dollars came out. What did my school district do with the stimulus dollars? I have no idea.

Even though schools are getting stimulus dollars, they are not hiring. Sub lists are locked.

Another example. There is a sign in my hometown that says Project funded by American Investment and Recovery Act. I have driven by this area multiple times in past few months. Total number of workers I see working on this road project=ZERO. I have never seen anyone working on this road that is supposedly a stimulus project.

I am just reporting what I have seen regarding the stimulus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies