Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times

Advertisements

i would guess the powers that be fear all the dependent tax write offs plus your employers ins co would go broke fast. it just cant work in a everybody else has to pay for me world. it worked in the past because everybody took responsibility for their own lives. if you could only afford one wife too bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Links?
Brigham Young - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christian Polygamy is NOT Mormon Polygamy - Christian Polygamy INFO â„¢

Pro-Polygamy.com â„¢ - Pro-Polygamists Glad that Fugitive Warren Jeffs was Caught

Its hard to find accurate figures on this, but

USATODAY.com - Polygamy laws expose our own hypocrisy

There are as many as 50,000 Americans practicing polygamy today. Most of them aren't mormon, most don't live on compounds, most aren't associated with Jeffs group in anyway.

As I said, since polygamy is so hated, its hard to find accurate numbers, but I watched a HBO special (no, its not big love, but it aired just before it started) and it showed several families who were normal, didn't marry children, and were polygamists.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Why is it accepted for a serial philanderer to have a bunch of illegitimate children, but a polygamist, who "marries" the mothers of his children and is financially reponsible for all his children, can be arrested?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why is it all right for a serial philanderer to have a bunch of illegitimate children, but a polygamist, who "marries" the mothers of his children and is financially reponsible for all his children, can be arrested?
You need to read up on polygamy. Get this month's National Geographic. These guys only have one legal wife whose kids they are required to support. The rest of the wives are "celestial" or spiritual wives, the guys do not claim the kids and they (and the women) are on welfare.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why is it accepted for a serial philanderer to have a bunch of illegitimate children, but a polygamist, who "marries" the mothers of his children and is financially reponsible for all his children, can be arrested?
There is a problem in that.

Many polygamists use food stamps, and welfare to take care of the fathers illegitimate children. Of course, that number is quite small, and that should be against the law.

Marrying multiple partners, should not be illegal.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Brigham Young - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You told me he is irrelevant.

Christian Polygamy is NOT Mormon Polygamy - Christian Polygamy INFO â„¢

No discussion of # of wives, just a rejection of Mormonism, which some FCs think is a "cult".

Pro-Polygamy.com â„¢ - Pro-Polygamists Glad that Fugitive Warren Jeffs was Caught

Again, nothing on # of wives, mainly an anti-Warren Jeffs piece by the above "Christian Polygamists.

Its hard to find accurate figures on this, but

USATODAY.com - Polygamy laws expose our own hypocrisy

4 wives, on a 13 yr old.

There are as many as 50,000 Americans practicing polygamy today. Most of them aren't mormon, most don't live on compounds, most aren't associated with Jeffs group in anyway.

As I said, since polygamy is so hated, its hard to find accurate numbers, but I watched a HBO special (no, its not big love, but it aired just before it started) and it showed several families who were normal, didn't marry children, and were polygamists.
Please provide some links to substantiate the bold.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I Have Two Husbands: A Polygamist's Diary

Its actually the most common form of polygamy in the world. (The United States and the Middle East are very small parts of the world).
Re-read my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay
I highly doubt there are many marriages involving one wife and two husbands. THAT would be newsworthy.
Did you even read your article?
Quote:
our family is now composed of Alan, Eric, Leslie, Amber, and myself, plus our children
That adds up to 3 women and 2 men in my math book, dunno about yours. Women > Men

By the way, this thread was about why it's illegal [in the US] to marry multiple men or women. We weren't discussing the illegality of polygamy worldwide... so you can keep your snarky comment about the US being a very small part of the world to yourself.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
There's a thing called divorce. It's widely utilized in this country.
Men are shattered after the divorce.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:51 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Like Gay Marriage, this has no affect on anyone's life if you aren't involved. I am not someone who would want to be married with like 5 partners. However, if someone else did, it would not matter to me.

The only legit thing I can understand about polygamy being a problem rather than same sex marriage, is simply tax reasons. If they could come up figuring that out, then why not?

People need to let other people live their lives and mind their business. (With the exception of letting those under age girls get married to much older men. That's an issue. Polygamy is not)

Old 02-20-2010, 12:57 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Islam has never been a significant religion in the United States. And none of our other laws are based on Islam.
None of the laws should be based on any religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies