Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 10:57 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
No one is saying that there should not be different levels of income that there shouldn't be rich and middle classes. What I am saying is that the people who are poor should not have to worry everyday if they will be able to eat that day or be able to pay there rent.
Ok, well when talk to the Federal Reserve, they are good at creating money, maybe they can print some extra bills up and hand them to these people that you are concerned about. You just dont seem to get the fact that the only way to make money to support yourself is to find a skill or trade and find a place that values that skill or trade...once you do that, you will get paid at a rate at which the market values that skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Ok, well when talk to the Federal Reserve, they are good at creating money, maybe they can print some extra bills up and hand them to these people that you are concerned about. You just dont seem to get the fact that the only way to make money to support yourself is to find a skill or trade and find a place that values that skill or trade...once you do that, you will get paid at a rate at which the market values that skill.

Well yes and no. I've acquired a niche skill at which I'm very good. Specifically, I buy and sell a niche collectible but it's not really a field where you can go out and find a job, because there are hundreds of self-employed people doing the same thing as one or two person operations and they rarely hire anyone.

While I'm very good at what I do, I simply do not yet have the cash on hand to acquire enough inventory to make a lot of money. It's like starting from scratch and building it slowly.

This is true generally for business startups, you can be extremely good at something but until you've built up a customer base your skill will not be fully valued. And if you're undercapitalized, you might never get the promotional exposure you need to attract the customers who will bring in others through word of mouth.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:27 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Well yes and no. I've acquired a niche skill at which I'm very good. Specifically, I buy and sell a niche collectible but it's not really a field where you can go out and find a job, because there are hundreds of self-employed people doing the same thing as one or two person operations and they rarely hire anyone.

While I'm very good at what I do, I simply do not yet have the cash on hand to acquire enough inventory to make a lot of money. It's like starting from scratch and building it slowly.

This is true generally for business startups, you can be extremely good at something but until you've built up a customer base your skill will not be fully valued. And if you're undercapitalized, you might never get the promotional exposure you need to attract the customers who will bring in others through word of mouth.
I have a side business that is somewhat similar in that hurdle, but its fun and challenging working out ways to overcome it.

But yes, it is something that the market and/or the employer need to value and have demand for.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

Why are you just avoiding the part where I pointed out that not everyone is smart enough or has the ability to get a skill or trade and that there are not enough higher skilled jobs for everyone. Saying people should just get a skill with out finding out if they even can is lazy thinking by people who just want to make sure they do not have to help the poor in any way. These are selfish people who only have a me me me attitude and I am tired of there childish ways.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Minimum Wage or Livable Wage?
I understand the OP objective, but...

I keep seeing this thread title and every time I do I think of the time I served in Americorp where they pay volunteers a livable wage. That wage averages out to about $2.61 an hour and I over heard my director tell another person that they get $18.00 an hour for their volunteers.

I believe it is important that folks understand what the government considers a livable wage on a pay scale.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Why are you just avoiding the part where I pointed out that not everyone is smart enough or has the ability to get a skill or trade and that there are not enough higher skilled jobs for everyone. Saying people should just get a skill with out finding out if they even can is lazy thinking by people who just want to make sure they do not have to help the poor in any way. These are selfish people who only have a me me me attitude and I am tired of there childish ways.
There are very few among us that can't develop any level of skill.. Laying bricks is a skill.. Carpentry is a skill, truck driving is a skill, roofing is a skill. Nowhere in the constitution or the declaration of independence does it say that everyone will be successful.. We have the right to "Pursue". No society has all winners. In every society there are those that fall through the cracks. Right now in this country we have entirely too many that simply have no ambition to "Pursue" anything other than a monthly check from the government. There will always be those that we will need to assist, but there are too many feeding at the trough that are fully capable of making their own situation better.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
No one is saying that there should not be different levels of income that there shouldn't be rich and middle classes. What I am saying is that the people who are poor should not have to worry everyday if they will be able to eat that day or be able to pay there rent.
But that's the very definition of poor. Poor people will ALWAYS worry everyday if they have the money to pay all the bills, and will usually be living paycheck to paycheck. Most of them want to get up out of that situation, and understand that they have to find a way to earn more in order to do so. You seem to be saying that we should somehow mandate an increase in their pay, making the "poor" no longer poor without them having to do anything different.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
But that's the very definition of poor. Poor people will ALWAYS worry everyday if they have the money to pay all the bills, and will usually be living paycheck to paycheck. Most of them want to get up out of that situation, and understand that they have to find a way to earn more in order to do so. You seem to be saying that we should somehow mandate an increase in their pay, making the "poor" no longer poor without them having to do anything different.
Why is this okay though? We are one of if not the richest nation in the world and their should be no reason that we have so many poor people.It is ridiculous that this countries has people who are billionaires and millionaire yet we have people who do not get enough to eat everyday. Why should the poor have to do anything more then just work to make a living? This is a slavery mentality that says the people who are poor on their own are not worth having enough to eat and a place to stay. The poor are treated like second class citizens to many people

Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There are very few among us that can't develop any level of skill.. Laying bricks is a skill.. Carpentry is a skill, truck driving is a skill, roofing is a skill. Nowhere in the constitution or the declaration of independence does it say that everyone will be successful.. We have the right to "Pursue". No society has all winners. In every society there are those that fall through the cracks. Right now in this country we have entirely too many that simply have no ambition to "Pursue" anything other than a monthly check from the government. There will always be those that we will need to assist, but there are too many feeding at the trough that are fully capable of making their own situation better.
You need to have handyman skills to be a carpenter and not everyone has, you have to be a good driver to be a truck driver and not everyone is and most roofing jobs are going to immigrants.There are not enough of these jobs for everyone to do though. People pick min wage jobs because they are the jobs that have the most openings so they are easy to get. If we are talking about people who do not work then yes you are right they have no ambition but if you are talking about poor people many have ambition but do not posses the money or ability to get a better job.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Why is this okay though? We are one of if not the richest nation in the world and their should be no reason that we have so many poor people.It is ridiculous that this countries has people who are billionaires and millionaire yet we have people who do not get enough to eat everyday. Why should the poor have to do anything more then just work to make a living? This is a slavery mentality that says the people who are poor on their own are not worth having enough to eat and a place to stay. The poor are treated like second class citizens to many people
No one has to do anything more than work to make a living. But the living one makes is mostly dependant on the work one is capable of doing, the relative difficulty of finding others able & willing to do that work, and the value placed on that work by those willing to pay for it. The people are WORTH wewhatever they can make themselves worth. But stop expecting (or trying to mandate) that people pay higher for something that the market does not demand a higher pay for.

You (and many others) make the mistake of equating the value placed on the job someone does with the value placed on the person doing the job. There is a HUGE difference. But employers don't pay for a person. They pay for a job to be done. Whether it's done by a really smart guy with a sociology degree or by an intellectually challenged lummox who barely goth through high school, rounding up carts at the grocery store is the same job, and therefore demands the same pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies