Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That's odd...I worked in a convenience store where most of the employees were over 30, several were over 50, one was over 65, and all were paid within 20 cents of minimum wage.

How is that a STARTING point?

Funny how people look at the same thing in such different ways. You see the situation you describe, and think that the job has the wrong wage, that it ought to be increased so those workers can better get by. I see it and think these people are working at the wrong job. By the time one reaches age 30 or 50, one should have advanced enough that they are no longer working at an entry level minimum wage job. (Perhaps the 65 year old has already retired, and is just working here for the few extra bucks and something to do.)

Other than the store manager or owner, do you really see a convenience store job as something more than a starting point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
So people with low intelligence or a disability can make their life better? How do you know if it is an excuse if you have not walked in their shoes? I would not be surprised because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about not sure what fantasy land you live in.
I walk in those shoes, when I can walk. I have a disability, in fact grocery shopping alone can be a challenge.

I refuse to accept defeat though, either at my job, or in life.

There are people of low intelligence who have jobs. They may not be CEO of an Insurance co., But it is work, they are some money, and it contributes to a more well rounded life.

I can no longer do the work I once did, and my salary is lower than what I used to make, but I can still work, and earn a living.

So yes, people with low intelligence and with disabilities can make their lives better. The question is, do you want someone to do it for you, or do you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself? As for me, I want to say I made it happen.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Should the market dictate the quality of housing people are allowed to build, sell, or rent?

Should a landlord be able to rent out housing that is affordable to someone making $1 per hour?
Why do you think people would work for a $1? The cost per job would find a balance between the person offering the job and the person taking the job. If they're offering a job for $1/hr and they're beating off applicants with bats then you got some serious problems.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
neither. The market should dictate what people should be paid. No minimum or so "living" wage.
Secrets Of The Plunge Protection Team Is Fed Buying Behind the Stock Rally? yes the market should be allowed to determine a lot of things like where the Dow is. But we have market manipulation so what is good for them is good for us as well. To argue that it is wrong for there to be a minimum wage and not to argue that it is wrong to have plunge protection then you aren't being internally consistent. One thing that a minimum wage does, if it is set high enough, is it keeps people from working for starvation wages and the violent outcome that can bring. (The French revolution, the killing fields of Cambodia, and the cultural revolution in China come to mind.)

Old 09-27-2011, 11:42 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Your "solution" just adds to the actual problem.

What do you propose we do with the folks already making $60K a year? They make $120K now? Or how about $240K?
Those at $60k would go to $120k and that would be the new median income. Wage price inflation. If we have a planned inflation we can ask businesses to adjust the price wage structure accordingly. It isn't 100% guarantied but a lot would go along If not too many over shoot the prices they need to charge then we can get a controlled 200% inflation in GDP buy doing a 4X on the minimum wage.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
One thing that a minimum wage does, if it is set high enough, is it keeps people from working for starvation wages and the violent outcome that can bring.
One thing that a minimum wage does, if it is set high enough, is it keeps people from working .

And there ya go. That's enough right there.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Those at $60k would go to $120k and that would be the new median income. Wage price inflation. If we have a planned inflation we can ask businesses to adjust the price wage structure accordingly. It isn't 100% guarantied but a lot would go along If not too many over shoot the prices they need to charge then we can get a controlled 200% inflation in GDP buy doing a 4X on the minimum wage.

So you want to give the very bottom earners, those who are without either the skills, experience, education or motivation to work their way up to a better than minimum wage job, FOUR TIMES their current wages, and then give those people a bit further up the ladder, who have worked & studied & probably sacrificed to get where they are, only TWICE what they are currently making. Did the jobs they do somehow become less important or valuable? Why are those jobs suddenly worth only half what they were worth, in relationship to the bottom level jobs?

And what about the people that were earning $120k at the start of this mad science experiment? Do they get an increase too, and if so, how much?

Old 09-27-2011, 01:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Funny how people look at the same thing in such different ways. You see the situation you describe, and think that the job has the wrong wage, that it ought to be increased so those workers can better get by. I see it and think these people are working at the wrong job. By the time one reaches age 30 or 50, one should have advanced enough that they are no longer working at an entry level minimum wage job. (Perhaps the 65 year old has already retired, and is just working here for the few extra bucks and something to do.)

Other than the store manager or owner, do you really see a convenience store job as something more than a starting point?

I'm just pointing out the REALITY that minimum wage isn't just for teens anymore, or for entry-level workers anymore.

Certainly we had stellar performers and others who weren't so stellar...why why was their compensation within such a narrow range? Clearly, there were employees whose pay was not commensurate with their performance.

The oldest employee is a lifer of the low-wage world; he still works there, and is a few months shy of 70

Old 09-27-2011, 01:09 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
So if this is all "planned" whats the plan for when this is announced...surely there will be lag time between announcing it and implementing it. My first vision is of half the country hoarding every product they can get their hands on before all of the prices double.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I'm just pointing out the REALITY that minimum wage isn't just for teens anymore, or for entry-level workers anymore.

Certainly we had stellar performers and others who weren't so stellar...why why was their compensation within such a narrow range? Clearly, there were employees whose pay was not commensurate with their performance.

The oldest employee is a lifer of the low-wage world; he still works there, and is a few months shy of 70
The point is that the requires no special education or skill, is not particularly onerous, unpleasant or difficult, is not accompanied by any significant level of responsibility or stress, and can be done by most people with a 6th grade education. As a result, there is no need for the business owner to pay more to get that job done.

You're right; Minimum wage isn't just for teens. It's for anyone who cannot, or chooses not to, move on to a better paying job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies