Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times

Advertisements

Where is all the media on this issue?

And the numerous libs here who craved something like this would happen. Heck, most of them lost sleep thinking about this.

Add to it, Obama clearly wanted this to happen so he gets credit for another FAILURE.

Now we can look forward to Obama being tried for his war crimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
I have been told by the radical right that Newsweek is the leftest of the left news source on the planet. Once I quoted Newsweek and that is what they told me.

Anyway, appraently it was the White House who presuaded the OPR to downgrade the accusation. So, you guys are accidentally celebrating Obama's success. How embarrassing.....

Quote:
Cohn is immediate past president of the National Lawyers Guild and a professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law. She said today: "A prior draft of the Office of Professional Responsibility's report reportedly determined that John Yoo and Jay Bybee violated their professional obligations by writing the now infamous 2002 torture memo. After several months and likely pressure from the White House, the OPR's conclusion was downgraded to 'poor judgment,' which will not trigger potential discipline of Yoo and impeachment of Bybee. This is consistent with Obama's approach of shielding Bush officials from accountability to curry favor with Republicans." Obama Shielding Torture Memo Lawyers? -- Institute for Public Accuracy (IPA)

Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Obama shielding Bush officials? Doubtful at best.

Quote:
August 1,2002
Office of' the Deputy Assistant Attorney General
The Honorable Alberto R. Gonzales Counsel to the President The White House Washington, D.C.
Dear Judge Gonzales:
You have requested the views of our Office concerning the legality, under international law, of interrogation methods to be used during the current war on terrorism. More specifically, you have asked whether interrogation methods used on captured al Qaeda operatives, which do not violate the prohibition on torture found in 18 U.S.C. § 2340-2340A, would either: a) violate our obligations under the Torture Convention,1 or b) create the basis for a prosecution under the Rome Statute establishing the International Criminal Court (ICC).2 We believe that interrogation methods that comply with § 2340 would not violate our international obligations under the Torture Convention, because of a specific understanding attached by the United States to its instrument of ratification. We also conclude that actions taken as part of the interrogation of al Qaeda operatives cannot fall within the jurisdiction of the ICC, although it would be impossible to control the actions of a rogue prosecutor or judge. This letter summarizes our views; a memorandum opinion will follow that will more fully explain our reasoning.
http://www.justice.gov/olc/docs/memo-gonzales-aug1.pdf
Definitely not shielding... they (Obama et al) were looking specifically into whether or not there was any merit behind pursuing charges and whether there was any basis for prosecution of Bush officials.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Default No misconduct for Bush interrogation lawyers;

We already knew this, didn't we?

So much for the war crimes BS coming from the Left.

This must be a monumental blow to them. I mean, they've been screeching for war crimes trials for years, never with any evidence to back up their claims.

Hopefully, this will put it to rest. Hopefully, the Left can take comfort that once again, they were wrong.

Review: No misconduct for Bush interrogation lawyers - USATODAY.com

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Justice Department lawyers showed "poor judgment" but did not commit professional misconduct when they authorized CIA interrogators to use waterboarding and other harsh tactics at the height of the U.S. war on terrorism, an internal review released Friday found.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Thank God for some sanity.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 PM

37,200 posts, read 19,200,869 times
So the best lawyers that Bush could get to work for the Justice Department were lawyers who used "poor judgment"?

Why couldn't he have real lawyers who demonstrated "good judgment" or even "superior judgment"?

Maybe the lawyers were coached by the administration goons on what they were supposed to recommend, huh?

I'm glad the crooked bastards are finally gone.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Cleared by those terrorist sympathizers??? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I SAY!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:44 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So the best lawyers that Bush could get to work for the Justice Department were lawyers who used "poor judgment"?

Why couldn't he have real lawyers who demonstrated "good judgment" or even "superior judgment"?

Maybe the lawyers were coached by the administration goons on what they were supposed to recommend, huh?

"Poor Judgment" is the opinion of the investigator.

I think their judgment was just fine.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:

Shouldnt we have "good judgment", or even "superior judgment" in regards to judging those who were put in charge to defend americans from terrorists trying to kill us?

If only you upheld yourself to the same standards you want to impose upon others.. I know.. you expect more from those who represent us in the White House.. I can respect this opinion, but in the end, its just that.. just an opinion for the cop-out response thats sure to come, especially considering the "judgment", or more properly the lack of judgment, we are seeing from the current administration..

Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:

Well, the whole thing it's a two-edge sword. But given the chance, I would error on the interrogations as they were done.

Back then we heard all kinds comments from the left about Homeland Security and Bush wiretapping American citizens, but once Obama took over the whining stopped. The telephone monitoring hasn't stopped, Homeland Security wants to keep a tab on all telephone conversations (even GPS tracking), and the left is as quiet as Al Gore is in relation to global warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies