Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'm not sure about the 40% statistic but there are many women in church who has had abortions. The church I used to attend even had a post-abortion support group for women dealing with the emotional aftermath of abortions. I know of at least one person in my church who was open about an abortion she had when she was younger and how she deeply regretted it and often thought about what the child would have been like. That was a powerful testimony she gave that evening and one that I would never forget.
Women and couples from all walks of life have abortions. Some regret it later and I've no gripe with their assessment of their own feelings.

What needs to be considered was suppose this young girl had gone ahead and had a baby she could not afford: would she turn to prostitution to pay her way through life; would she have ended up on drugs as many hookers do; would the child have suffered; would the child end up in an abusive foster care situation. There are so many possible outcomes that I end up wishing people would let their past decisions not trouble them; that woman made the best decision she could at her young age. She is rather courageous for speaking up.

Perhaps we could reduce abortions greatly if more birth control info and resources were available for young people (especially those of limited means) and more resources for pregnant girls, instead of the scornful judgement of the religious right towards unwed moms.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,491,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Women and couples from all walks of life have abortions. Some regret it later and I've no gripe with their assessment of their own feelings.

What needs to be considered was supposed this young girl had gone ahead and had a baby she could not afford: would she turn to prostitution to pay her way through life; would she have ended up on drugs as many hookers do; would the child have suffered; would the child end up in an abusive foster care situation. There are so many possible outcomes that I end up wishing people would let their past decisions not trouble them; that woman made the best decision she could at her young age.

Perhaps we could reduce abortions greatly if more birth control resources were available for young people (especially those of limited means) and more resources for pregnant girls, instead of the scornful judgement of the religious right towards unwed moms.

I personally would like to see more of the religious folks offer to take an unwanted child and raise it, rather than confront the expectant mother on the sidewalk outside an abortion clinic and scream "Murderer!" in her face.

And I'm not talking about on an individual basis either. Why not on a collective, congregational basis? A lot of these mega churches and mega ministries are rolling in cash. Wouldn't that money be better spent running orphanages for unwanted children than on new suits and cars for the pastor?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Most prolife folks are not really entirely prolife. Most of them have exceptions they are willing to allow so it's all bunk anyway. I've never met one of those "not even if the woman is going to die" types IRL and everyone I've talked to on the matter I've convinced them they are really prochoice but don't want to call themselves that. Most people just like the sound of "prolife" and want that lable because it makes them sound like a better person.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,983,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

What needs to be considered was suppose this young girl had gone ahead and had a baby she could not afford: would she turn to prostitution to pay her way through life; would she have ended up on drugs as many hookers do; would the child have suffered; would the child end up in an abusive foster care situation. There are so many possible outcomes that I end up wishing people would let their past decisions not trouble them; that woman made the best decision she could at her young age. She is rather courageous for speaking up.

Perhaps we could reduce abortions greatly if more birth control info and resources were available for young people (especially those of limited means) and more resources for pregnant girls, instead of the scornful judgement of the religious right towards unwed moms.
Unwed mothers do not receive as much scorn as many like to believe. My medium-sized church has tons of single mothers who are treated very compassionately.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I personally would like to see more of the religious folks offer to take an unwanted child and raise it, rather than confront the expectant mother on the sidewalk outside an abortion clinic and scream "Murderer!" in her face.

And I'm not talking about on an individual basis either. Why not on a collective, congregational basis? A lot of these mega churches and mega ministries are rolling in cash. Wouldn't that money be better spent running orphanages for unwanted children than on new suits and cars for the pastor?
Although I don't agree with your assessment of churches (and no most are NOT rolling in the dough), I would like to see a return of orphanages and other church-ran systems to care for the unwanted children.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
I always wonder how many people are pro-life until they find themselves or perhaps their daughter faced with the decision.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I always wonder how many people are pro-life until they find themselves or perhaps their daughter faced with the decision.
I've heard stories from abortion providers about this. There have been cases where the people who have been active protesters have an abortion and claim their situation is different. ::Of course it is sweetie:: Then they go right back to the protest line when it's over.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:53 PM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Quote:
Unwed mothers do not receive as much scorn as many like to believe. My medium-sized church has tons of single mothers who are treated very compassionately.
Sounds like a really nice church, one with a focus on human need, not human failings or shortcomings. Sadly, it's the loud-mouthed judgmental types like Pat Robertson, James Dobson and the late Jerry Falwell who get the publicity and poison public discourse.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't think I can handle an unplanned pregnancy at this stage in my life.... hence, I'm abstaining.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
I don't think I can handle an unplanned pregnancy at this stage in my life.... hence, I'm abstaining.
well, good for you, but a lot of people don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies