Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:04 PM

45,325 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

No need to speculate on the connection between an increase in cigarette taxes and the subsequent decrease in consumption and tax revenue. It's already happened in MD starting three years ago when newly elected Gov. O'Malley pushed through an increase in the tax. People quit smoking or just skipped across to VA, WVA or PA. PA then raised it's tax but cigarettes are still $1 a pack cheaper there than MD. As a result even with the tax increase total cigarette tax revenue is down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The crazy thing about smoking is how much we pound this info into our kids about the dangers of smoking, and most of them are very ANTI smoking while growing up, but some still make conscious decision to start smoking. I've seen it happen with some of my kids freinds and once with a friend of mine who decided to light up for the first time at age 30. I don't understand, and I try really hard to not call people I know "stupid", but sometimes there is no other word. It's not like they are addicted before they even start so....wtf?

People are their own worst enemy.
IT's theirf choice. We have a choice to be "stupid" in this country if we desire. Well at least we used to. Now every nanny and busy body feels they have to regulate certain behaviors.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:28 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
You and your Nanny State need to get your noses and grubby little fingers out of everyone else's personal lives and find a productive hobby.
Ease up, I'm on your side. Though I never smoked cigarettes, I agree that this is getting crazy. Heck, I was against the city and states dictating where people can smoke.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Why do people fight to smoke? It is DISGUSTING and it is nasty. I do not appreciate anyone smoking in my face.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Why do people fight to smoke? It is DISGUSTING and it is nasty. I do not appreciate anyone smoking in my face.
Then walk away when someone around you smokes.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
And there are people like you who get disgusted when they see a fat person eating fatty or sugary foods. Some even go up to the fat person and yell at them for being fat and eating and looking so disgusting. Seems perfectly fine to you until people begin to attack something you do and enjoy.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
And there are people like you who get disgusted when they see a fat person eating fatty or sugary foods. Some even go up to the fat person and yell at them for being fat and eating and looking so disgusting. Seems perfectly fine to you until people begin to attack something you do and enjoy.
Tru dat.

McDonalds and BK will be next. We're already seeing bans on trans fats.

I eat pretty healthy but I'm not a freak about it.

Sometimes when I'm at the grocery store I look in someones cart and it is pretty obvious why they are fat. I think it's disgusting. But it is insane to want, or think, govt can fix it. They got the right to eat frozen pizza. I got the right to eat blue berries. And it would never occur to me to tell them what they should eat.

I used to smoke. I started having chest pains. I quit. Much easier than I thought it would be. I knew it was bad for me. I didn't people telling me.
I don't tell people to quit now. If they ask me how I quit I tell them. Otherwise, it's their business. That's the way I see it.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:

Why did people fight for the right to vote? Why did they march for civil rights?

It's a freedom issue which has nothing to do with or I personally. It's about liberty and justice for all.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:02 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Smoking, like many other things, falls into the category of "mind your own darned business." I don't smoke in indoor public places. I don't smoke in other people's homes. I don't smoke in other people's cars. What I do in the privacy of my own home and in my own car is MY BUSINESS. I'm so sick of people now days who want to have their nose in everyone's business. They always have an excuse for it but what it boils down to is they are so busy taking out the sliver in the eyes of others that they don't notice that they have a great big log in their own.

If you don't want to smoke, don't. If you don't want to eat fast food, don't. If you don't want to drink coffee, don't. If you don't want to drive an SUV, don't. If you don't want to live in a McMansion, don't. If you don't want to eat meat, don't. No one is forcing you to do what you don't want to do. But do others the courtesy of allowing them to make their own darned choices. Man, I actually remember when this was a free country and people were too busy living their own lives to try to live the lives of others too.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:08 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
then stay off my front porch.i never smoke in the house or in public places.so why tax me so hard. leave me alone as i do you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies