Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,298,907 times

Advertisements

Increase in unemployment under Obama? You do realize this recession started under GWB? And unemployment soared under him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 11:47 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,133,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think they know who is and is not trying to do something about it.
I hope they do... but....

Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,442,738 times
Government needs to get out of the way of the private sector. That doesn't mean subsidizing certain companies and making monopolies. For some reason people seem to think the government can create competetion without leaving the tax payer on the dole for the monopolies it creates. If you'll think about it people will do for themselves. They will find ways and markets and if markets aren't there they'll create them. The only think government is good for is leaching off of that process and just like any parasite it slows down its host for its gain.

This doesn't mean there is no need for government at all. What this means is there is a give and take and growing the government is the opposite of job growth policies.

Small businesses accounted for 50% of the GDP from 1997-2004. If that sector can grow then tax revenues will increase. If that sector is taxed at higher rates, and that includes the $250k+, don't expect pro-growth.

What can the government do to help a brother out? Get out of the way and stop spending like drunken sailors.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:59 AM

If you were in a race, would a straight up race go faster than one with obstacles like hoops, hurdles, or pits you need to navigate through to make your way to then end? I think you all know the answer.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
(/sarcasm) If we're in another "jobless" recovery then we don't need any jobs, do we ?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:29 PM

955 posts, read 2,156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

What I don't understand is why, with the changing economy in the US, people continue to have lots of kids, why they don't value education and why they blame the government for "business" decisions.
I agree with point one. I totally, wholeheartedly agree with your second point. That just baffles me. And on the third point, I guess I am not sure what you mean. I do not think that people blame the government for business decisions. I think they blame government for not setting the appropriate climate for job creation.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:37 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,457,010 times
I am curious to see how the conservatives are going to react when millions of people are stuck on unemployment for years because there are just no jobs.

How will the politicians react? If they stop the benefits, they could lose alot of votes. If they continue them for years on end, they could anger other voters.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,176,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I am curious to see how the conservatives are going to react when millions of people are stuck on unemployment for years because there are just no jobs.

How will the politicians react? If they stop the benefits, they could lose alot of votes. If they continue them for years on end, they could anger other voters.

The unemployment only lasts so long. Then it's poverty, like homelessness.
It seems the conservatives are more interested in bashing Obama.
But this is America...who really gives a damn about the homeless, where they sleep, what they eat, if they are healthy, etc? Why break cherished American traditions?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:18 PM

And what good are social welfare programs if the parent company -- the federal government -- goes bankrupt? It appears some would rather completely take care of a few people here and now so that in the future the country, and its people, have no venue to be successful. They'd rather see the country collapse then to have some people go without. They'd cut off their nose to spite their face.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:20 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,176,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And what good are social welfare programs if the parent company -- the federal government -- goes bankrupt? It appears some would rather completely take care of a few people here and now so that in the future the country, and its people, have no venue to be successful. They'd rather see the country collapse then to have some people go without. They'd cut off their nose to spite their face.
'go without' what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies