Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

OK, there's too much stuff to quote since I left last night, so I'm going to make two posts. Lots of good stuff here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I suspect that is the case in my local ER as well. At least the ER staff triaged correctly and I was seen due to the severity of the symptom I had at the time.
I think your first sentence refers there being a lot of illegal aliens in your local ER. Of course, living in California, you're going to see more Hispanics anywhere than you would in Connecticut. OTOH, they are not all illegal. There have been studies that show that most patients in ERs have insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree. She did not sue though. I remember her saying that no amount of money would EVER make her son and happiness come back but she did go and have a talk with the person in charge. I remember she actually got a lot of parents and other adults get with it and go in front of the hospital and protest and talk about their concerns.

It was even worse when the man with the broken toe INSISTED. It is like...just do it then! Those "nurses" were probably too busy laughing about last nights reality drama. Or still drunk from a party.

Sad though, isn't it?
Yes, that's sad, very sad. Most ERs I've been in have signs up that state that patients are seen in order of medical need. I've never heard of such a thing happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,751 times
[
Please don't ditz the nurses as drunks. You have that mixed up; those are the patients.[/quote]

Yeah I don't know about that. I used to work in a hospital pharmacy and we used to bust nurses all the time for stealing drugs. Constantly. Also there is a whole subset of the nursing population that are raging ETOH'ers. I work with a bunch of them.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
You are correct and that is something that no one in Washington is thinking about. That is why this health-care reform is a joke. The idea of everyone having health care is great but there IS a ripple effect and no one is talking about that. No one is addressing how that will be handled.
I will repeat, that is no reason to deny people insurance. Perhaps facilities will need to be expanded. How do you know "no one is talking about the ripple effect"? Are you on a committee or something? There already is talk of opening more medical schools. There are more ways to solve this problem than to deny a certain percentage of people insurance b/c the system can't handle that many people.

Quote:
Really and how do you know what the cost will be for those that go to the ER when on the Governement plan? And what if you live in an area where there are no urgent care facilities?
Most urban/suburban areas have urgent care facilities, and more are popping up every day. The Walgreen's drug chain is opening urgent cares in many of its stores. Some hospitals even have an "urgent care" area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
And it's been my experience that many of the "insured" using the ER inappropriately are those on medicaid. But you know, it's just anecdotal observation.
As I said above, the vast majority of ER patients do have insurance. Of course, Medicaid is part of insurance, OTOH. Many medicaid patients don't have regular doctors. There need to be some incentives to get doctors to take more medicaid patients.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree. She did not sue though. I remember her saying that no amount of money would EVER make her son and happiness come back but she did go and have a talk with the person in charge. I remember she actually got a lot of parents and other adults get with it and go in front of the hospital and protest and talk about their concerns.

It was even worse when the man with the broken toe INSISTED. It is like...just do it then! Those "nurses" were probably too busy laughing about last nights reality drama. Or still drunk from a party.

Sad though, isn't it?
That's a slap in the face to all Nurses. If you think that is really true, I'd like to see you do their job. It's easy to talk through your ass when you have no idea how to do their job!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I will repeat, that is no reason to deny people insurance. Perhaps facilities will need to be expanded. How do you know "no one is talking about the ripple effect"? Are you on a committee or something? There already is talk of opening more medical schools. There are more ways to solve this problem than to deny a certain percentage of people insurance b/c the system can't handle that many people.
Ok so please show me one link to anyone in washington talking about it because I post loads from doctors saying they will not be able to handle the patient load.

Quote:
Most urban/suburban areas have urgent care facilities, and more are popping up every day. The Walgreen's drug chain is opening urgent cares in many of its stores. Some hospitals even have an "urgent care" area.
Ok I live about 30 miles outside NYC in a very large town and we just got our FIRST urgent care center LAST YEAR!

Quote:
As I said above, the vast majority of ER patients do have insurance. Of course, Medicaid is part of insurance, OTOH. Many medicaid patients don't have regular doctors. There need to be some incentives to get doctors to take more medicaid patients.
This is not about whether they have insurance or not. The issue is what is going to happen when everyone has does have insurance but there is ZERO deterrent to go to the ER for non-emergencies just because they don't want to wait for the doctor?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
That's a slap in the face to all Nurses. If you think that is really true, I'd like to see you do their job. It's easy to talk through your ass when you have no idea how to do their job!
Please, give it up. Take a seat at the nursing station of your local ED and you'll see for yourself. I love the way nurses are deified, it's total feces. When my brother was dying we had to get a rush CT done from the ICU. The nurse taking care of him was sauntering around taking her time, CT was waiting for him it took over an hour to get it done. She saw NO urgency in getting it done because to her he was dead already. And don't get me started about them interjecting their opinion and passing it off as fact.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Quote:
Please don't ditz the nurses as drunks. You have that mixed up; those are the patients.

Yeah I don't know about that. I used to work in a hospital pharmacy and we used to bust nurses all the time for stealing drugs. Constantly. Also there is a whole subset of the nursing population that are raging ETOH'ers. I work with a bunch of them.
A whole subset? Gimme a break. When I was licensed as a nurse in Pennsylvania, I got a newsletter from the board of nursing periodically that listed the suspensions and what they were for. For a state as big as PA, with a health care culture bigger than many states, there weren't that many. I'm saying like a handful for the entire state. The suspensions were mostly for alcohol, and even though men only make up 5% of nurses, at least 1/3 to 1/2 of them were men. I would say the percentage of alcoholics in nursing is about the same as the percentage in the general population. These "nurse myths" do nothing to help the profession.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A whole subset? Gimme a break. When I was licensed as a nurse in Pennsylvania, I got a newsletter from the board of nursing periodically that listed the suspensions and what they were for. For a state as big as PA, with a health care culture bigger than many states, there weren't that many. I'm saying like a handful for the entire state. The suspensions were mostly for alcohol, and even though men only make up 5% of nurses, at least 1/3 to 1/2 of them were men. I would say the percentage of alcoholics in nursing is about the same as the percentage in the general population. These "nurse myths" do nothing to help the profession.
Men vs women etoh'ers makes no difference. I work in NY and we busted one month easy. You know how many nurses quietly get "counseling" then are allowed to continue working? Tons. The biggest "nursing myth" is that they are the most compasionate profession. Total bunk.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Please don't ditz the nurses as drunks. You have that mixed up; those are the patients

I'm going off topic here, but needed to respond.

You are generalizing greatly.

"According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, it is estimated that 8% to 12% of health care workers, including nurses, have substance abuse problems. Furthermore, 11% to 15% of pharmacists, at some time in their career, are confronted with alcohol and/or drug dependency problems"

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406738

Elsevier

Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
No the point is that if everyone is given free insurance what do you think the emergency rooms will look like. If they know they will not have to pay the bill? People will not wait for a doctor visit they will go to the ER.
That makes no sense, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies