Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,169,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They spent 3 days stomping and cheering for conservative ideas. They yelled and cried when Beck came on stage as if he were Jesus coming back. They screamed for Gingrich. Then they took a poll and voted for 2 of the most liberal candidates they could choose.
WIN: They voted for RON PAUL- yes the guy that opposed Bush's war in Iraq that conservatives want to keep going forever.
Traditionally conservatives opposed interventionist foreign policies that entailed in entangling alliances or intervened militarily in places that weren't a threat to the country. Not to mention Paul has pointed out the unconstitutional nature of entering into war without a formal declaration from Congress.

Quote:
The guy that opposes going after illegals that the conservatives say they hate so much
Paul suggested the illegal immigrants be dealt with by way of economics which most scoffed at. Yet we can see the obvious implications of our economic hardship being directly related to the decline in illegal immigrants, so a connection not only exist between economic disparity between the US and Mexico, its an obvious one.

Also Paul is the guy who wanted to amend the Constitution to remove birthright citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants that are born here.

Quote:
and the guy that actually thinks it is OK to legalize marijuana.
If one truly promotes liberty and freedom, this also includes the liberty and freedom to smoke a joint in your living room or snort cocaine to palookaville. With freedom and liberty comes responsibility to know how to act, well, responsibly. He has never advocated for its use and as a doctor has warned of the ill effects drugs have, but one can't say they are for freedom and liberty if one also works to restrict the liberties and freedoms of the people they seek to govern, no?

Quote:
He is also soft on crime, against the death penalty for any crime
He is one of the few people who are truly hold the position "right to life". While many will fight for the life of an unborn child, they will also have no issue with ending the life of another for committing a heinous crime. Paul only recently changed his stance on the death penalty when he said that he couldn't in good conscious progress the ideas of right to life while at the same time supporting the death penalty. In this case, his views are consistent with his beliefs.

Quote:
and his stand on abortion is mixed at best!
No mixed too it, he believes that abortion is an issue that should be a matter of individual states to decide. Reasoning being, the more specific the social issue, the more locally it should be dealt with.

Quote:
Do you see the problem here?
Not at all, in fact it pleases me a great deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,589,673 times
Quote:
Obama IS a conservative. His policies are essentially the same as Bush's were whether it is on Iraq, bailing out the big banks, GM and Wall Street or any number of other issues. He FOOLED lots of people like me by running as a liberal but now he has shown his true stripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
bush is conservative

Bush was no conservative. Obama is far from being a conservative.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,713,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Read the link I posted about Ron Paul.
Look at Ron Paul's voting history.
Ron Paul votes just as he talks.
He's not out to fool anyone.
Do you think Ron Paul could govern the country? HE would have so many enemies it would be horrible! Do you remember that other gadfly Bob Dornan? Ron Paul would make him look popular in the Congress and Senate!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,169,690 times
Quote:
Do you think Ron Paul could govern the country? HE would have so many enemies it would be horrible! Do you remember that other gadfly Bob Dornan? Ron Paul would make him look popular in the Congress and Senate!
Yes, with great difficulty for the very reasons you pointed out. He is very much against the establishment mentality that permeates Congress and government today. However, Paul has never sought to be popular and had to be talked into running for President in 2008 as it wasn't even his idea to do so.

All things considered, I'd vote for a guy who wears black sneakers and brings his brown paper sack lunch to work as he has for 20 years in a heartbeat. Personally, I'd seek out the most unpopular guy who was willing to challenge the status quo in Washington today, I've had my fill of the Washington K-street gravy train.

You realize the reason Ron Paul is so thin is because he doesn't allow special interest to buy his lunch, right?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,408,787 times
i voted for Ron Paul in 2008. he is a true conservative.

TnHilltopper hits it out of the park again! keep up the good work...

Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
Being against foriegn wars is Conservative. Iraq was nothing but a transfer of trillions to the Defense contractors.
Best part about CPAC was watching them being taken to the cleaners by the Village Idiot, Glenn Beck

Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,342,080 times
Ron Paul can be seen as having similar interests as liberals when it comes to social issues because if it isn't mandated by the constitution, then he believes it should not be regulated by the Federal government. Some of these issues are also what liberals fight for. However, it is Paul's extremely conservative stance on the constitution that makes him appear to be progressive on social issues.

Whatever way you want to spin it, I think Paul is one of the most honest people in congress who votes on his ideals and not on what is best for him at the moment, so I would have no problem voting for him for president.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,640,437 times
Here is Ron Paul's actual stance and voting record on every major issue by a completely non-partisan site. It also has every other political figure and their stances. Lets get some facts on the issue.

Ron Paul on the Issues

Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,408,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Here is Ron Paul's actual stance and voting record on every major issue by a completely non-partisan site. It also has every other political figure and their stances. Lets get some facts on the issue.

Ron Paul on the Issues

thanks for that link!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,074,816 times
Quote:
He is very liberal. He makes anti war protesters look moderate. Conservatives are supposed to be pro war. I guess that is why so many booed when the vote results were announced.

Conservatives are not pro war. They are pro troops. A very big differance. If there sons, daughters, siblings husbands and wives they support them and whatever engagement they are sent to. I am very much a conservative but hate wars. I would never speak out against the troops or a war because it aids the enemy. I would write my representitives and the president to protest.

Last edited by dcsldcd; 02-23-2010 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies