Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,815,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Personally, I don't think that snowboarders and extreme skiers should be held to the same level of comportment as athletes in the more traditional sports. Most Olympic sports have roots in military competitions, these young folks invented "outlaw" sports based upon their youthful "outlaw" sense of esthetics so why would the Olympic Committee try to change them or their sport into something that it isn't. Frankly when Olympic snowboarder Ross Rebagliati tested positive for marijuana, my thought was that any instead of trying to revoke his medal the IOC should toss any snowboarder who tested negative for not being true to the sport.
It is snowboarding. . . rather tame pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,184,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
So what's a 22-year-old Olympic snowboarder with a shiny new bronze medal to do but go out on the town and get snapped in suggestive poses with said bronze medal? Scotty Lago, who came in third after US teammate Shaun White, is predictably very sorry—and he's also headed home after, ahem, volunteering to leave the Olympic Village. TMZ had the photos.

US Snowboarder Scotty Lago Leaves Vancouver Over Racy Pics With Bronze Medal
He is no tiger woods

Old 02-22-2010, 02:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,574,832 times
Big deal. He was enjoying himself. I guess this is evidence that our culture still has a strong Puritanical streak.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:04 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,685,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No problem, you're crazy.

The IOC just like the NCAA is one huge organization of pimps, who sell the athletes and the games to the highest bidder by promoting it as some high human ideal. Athletes must have decorum but don't ask decorum of the IOC or their sponsors.
When do you graduate college? I may come down in person and welcome you to the real world.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
You also live in Boulder, BTW. There's supposed to be a certain etiquette and decorum amongst Olympians, and simulating oral sex with your medal probably doesn't etiquette or decorum. Call me crazy, but props to the USOC for doing this. Once again, when it comes to social issues, the posts in this thread will fall right in line betwen liberal and conservative ideologies.
I don't live in Boulder, and I don't know what that has to do with anything. I don't go to parties like that, but then, I'm not 20-25. I know about snowboarders, living in Colorado as I do. I also know about twentysomethings, having two myself.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,261,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
It is snowboarding. . . rather tame pics.
Is snowboarding, like, frozen waterboarding?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Is snowboarding, like, frozen waterboarding?
I heard that joke yesterday. You're late to the party!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,913,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
When do you graduate college? I may come down in person and welcome you to the real world.
You are going to welcome ME to the real world when I write about the commercialization of the Olympics and you write about some starry-eyed fantasy about Olympic ideals?!?!?!? Now that's funny.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:27 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,267,458 times
Fair or not fair? Depends on whether or not they sign some kind of contract that covers behavior on and off the snow. I suspect a morality clause is somewhere at the bottom of this.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Seriously, get over yourself.
for what? is that the best you've got? lame...

she is a nasty ho and her parents should not be proud of her. See my next comment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
relax... I hope you don't have a daughter around the same ago.... good chance she took a pic just like that one.
My daughter just turned 23 and has never been featured in a picture with worldwide distribution thank you very much. and the last time I was in church was at least 35 years ago, so don't bother ASSuming anything in that direction either.

I know the people without an issue are kids/very young "adults". No parent would be proud to say their kid was a nasty skank like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies