Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times

Advertisements

The President’s Proposal puts American families and small business owners in control of their own health care. | The White House (http://www.whitehouse.gov/health-care-meeting/proposal - broken link)

Reading it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
I wonder if the CBO will rate this before the bipartisan meeting? I noticed that he left the union deal in there and is potentially offering states federal dollars to help bridge the medicaid gap that the bill will produce. That's going to be costly in and of itself.

Need to read it some more...

Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I wonder if the CBO will rate this before the bipartisan meeting? I noticed that he left the union deal in there and is potentially offering states federal dollars to help bridge the medicaid gap that the bill will produce. That's going to be costly in and of itself.

Need to read it some more...
The CBO has already evaluated most of it. Very similar to Senate plan in that the financing has not changed significantly. The CBO estimated the Senate bill to result in 100 billion deficit reduction over 10 years. Of course there is always contention about CBO numbers. People tend to believe them when they support their own bias and discount them when they don't.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The CBO has already evaluated most of it. Very similar to Senate plan in that the financing has not changed significantly. The CBO estimated the Senate bill to result in 100 billion deficit reduction over 10 years. Of course there is always contention about CBO numbers. People tend to believe them when they support their own bias and discount them when they don't.
But how do they reconcile the federal monies going to the states for medicaid expansion that was not part of the senate bill. This will drastically change the CBO estimates I would think.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 AM

6,774 posts, read 9,327,743 times
Looks like more of the same based on a quick scan -- special deals for Unions, Louisiana.. although the Ben Nelson kickback is now gone. It still looks like a monstrosity that has the potential to spiral out of control (cost-wise) like many other large government programs. I'd rather see the President focus on other issues and return to this later.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I disagee

this bill does not address the COST of health CARE, all it addresses is cost of INSURANCE, and making INSURANCE (private or government) more affordable

It also by funding grants, etc for medical schools will COST MORE

there is no way there would be a 100 billion over 10 years (about 10 billion a year) reduction on governmental costs. especially when you consider that ACTUAL COSTS continue to rise

Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I disagee

this bill does not address the COST of health CARE, all it addresses is cost of INSURANCE, and making INSURANCE (private or government) more affordable

there is no way there would be a 100 billion over 10 years (about 10 billion a year) reduction on governmental costs. especially when you consider that ACTUAL COSTS continue to rise
The feds are just making the states foot the bill as far as I can tell. The states will then pass that cost onto you, the taxpayer, in the form of increased income, property, and sales taxes. Yippee!!

Oh, and I totally agree that none of these democratic bills address the real root of the problem... rising cost of CARE.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I disagee

The proposal is Insurance Reform and other than waste and fraud as well as emphasis on wellness and prevention, not really dealing with the cost growth. The cost growth is an area that can be addressed as well. There are certainly many things that can be done to slow their growth. Doing away with excessive labs and tests, creating best practices information for Doctors, streamlining the availability of patient information, .... etc. That is another whole area that certainly needs work.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Too little, too late.

This should have been the STARTING point of the health care debate. Instead of sending a proposal to the Hill at the outset, the President remained basically uninvolved and trusted Congress to do what's right. That's like trusting alligators not to eat your dog if they get the chance.

Now, with the whole thing in danger of falling apart, for the President to offer up his "solution" at this late date looks like an act of desperation coming from a position of political weakness. And, that's exactly what it is.

I'm sorry, Mr. President. You dropped the ball on this very important issue by not offering any leadership when leadership counted.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Too little, too late.

This should have been the STARTING point of the health care debate. Instead of sending a proposal to the Hill at the outset, the President remained basically uninvolved and trusted Congress to do what's right. That's like trusting alligators not to eat your dog if they get the chance.

Now, with the whole thing in danger of falling apart, for the President to offer up his "solution" at this late date looks like an act of desperation coming from a position of political weakness. And, that's exactly what it is.

I'm sorry, Mr. President. You dropped the ball on this very important issue by not offering any leadership when leadership counted.
Right. Because having the President propose a bill at the beginning worked out so well for Clinton. His bill never even came up for a vote on the floor!

Obviously, Obama has been deeply involved getting Health Care reform since the beginning of his term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies