Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times

Advertisements

Here is the link -- Toyota memo shows $100m savings over floor mat recall | Business | guardian.co.uk

The memo shows that in a confidential presentation at its Washington office last July, Toyota said it had slashed costs by persuading US regulators to agree to an "equipment recall" to fix defective floor mats in about 55,000 Camry and Lexus ES350 models.

The limited recall, in September 2007, appears on a list titled "Wins for Toyota Safety Group" that includes millions of dollars in other savings the firm achieved through lobbying for delays to safety and other regulations in the US.

Lions, tigers and bears! Oh, my!

Toyota was once the poster boy for corporate goodness, in "image" at least; how things have changed.

"Moving Forward" has a new meaning all on its' own nowadays.

BTW: Any Toyota workers on the P&OC forum? I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 AM

113 posts, read 245,289 times
This recall is a big hoax. The only deaths and injuries are not related to the Toyota problem. You are only throwing more fuel on the fire of corporate hate. Several websites report that accidents and injuries 'are still under investigation' This is a way of misleading the public that there have been some. Even the guy in California who crashed and died (due to a floormat NOT provided by Toyota) could have put his car in neutral and saved his neck and his three passengers. But I repeat, this accident was not Toyota's fault. But the truth doesn't matter, just like the AGW scam.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
It really does not matter we (The US) have zero recourse anyway and even if we did we will not do a damn thing about it.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmer laktow View Post
This recall is a big hoax. The only deaths and injuries are not related to the Toyota problem. You are only throwing more fuel on the fire of corporate hate. Several websites report that accidents and injuries 'are still under investigation' This is a way of misleading the public that there have been some. Even the guy in California who crashed and died (due to a floormat NOT provided by Toyota) could have put his car in neutral and saved his neck and his three passengers. But I repeat, this accident was not Toyota's fault. But the truth doesn't matter, just like the AGW scam.
Did you read your own post? I mean, re-read the bolded sentence - is this really your logic or are you attempting dry humour?

Never should a driver be forced to rationalize such a mechanical breakdown in that instance in order to save his life.

Rather than acknowledge a problem and recall its goods, you'd rather scared drivers, driving in excess of 60-70mph have the know-how to swiftly and accurately handle the situation dealt to them.

P.S. Ever put a car in neutral going 60-70mph? My guess is that you haven't or you'd know THAT'S not a safe proposition either. It just HAPPENS to be safer than your car slamming into a brick wall at 70mph.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
You are way behind! Some history to help you catch up:

Quote:
Toyota must fix their problems instead of blaming consumers for their own deaths. Recalling Toyota cars for the wrong reason namely floor mats ignores this nightmare of runaway Toyota cars. Toyota offered their condolences to the dead drivers and recalled 3.8 million cars for floor mats only.
Quote:
Other vehicle systems such as the transmission and braking system and throttle are said to make it difficult even for the best driver to stop a car that suddenly accelerates to 120 miles per hour. Some car designers indicate that the ignition, transmission and braking systems may prohibit the driver from escaping and recovering from a runaway Toyota.
Other theories are that the Toyota vehicles have an electro-magnet problem in the vehicle’s computer system. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA have not found any problems yet.
Quote:
Car experts say not to tap the brakes if your car is a Toyota with this defect here are some tips:

1) Do not tap on the brakes -hit them hard.
2) Do not shut off the engine for this cuts off your steering and other controls.
3) Put the car in neutral.
4) Put the emergency brake on to stop the car.
5) Pray and pray hard.
Toyota Runaway Cars | Politicol News

Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
P.S. Ever put a car in neutral going 60-70mph? My guess is that you haven't or you'd know THAT'S not a safe proposition either. It just HAPPENS to be safer than your car slamming into a brick wall at 70mph.
What's so hard about putting the car in neutral? I have accidentally slipped my car into neutral while driving down the road before, although not necessarily on the expressway. At least if the car is in neutral, you can brake and steer your vehicle to a safe place.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Another cult follower of Toyota and/or corporations? Drink the kool-aid and you shall receive ....

This "recall" is a few years in the making. It's a problem that just didn't happen overnight. Anyone with half a brain knows that you just don't recall millions of vehicles due to floormats.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
I still believe that some idiot drivers who should not have got a driver's license created the whole "problem"...

Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
What's so hard about putting the car in neutral? I have accidentally slipped my car into neutral while driving down the road before, although not necessarily on the expressway. At least if the car is in neutral, you can brake and steer your vehicle to a safe place.
I think everyone has put a car in neutral at reasonable speeds. Highway speeds are NOT reasonable speeds. It's akin to being on the expressway and slamming on your brakes. Do you often see folks slamming on their brakes without warning on the interstate?

a) no. b) where I live, there are enough people that I'd no doubt be rear ended. c) If you happen to not have your steering wheel straight at the point of deaccelerating, you leave open the possibility to losing control of the car.

This is not a safe alternative. It may be the ONLY alternative, but it's not by any means safe.

In my area, they had a guy show people what to do in case it ever happened. I had to laugh when I saw him do it on a closed course straightaway. Real world conditions? Hardly.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Putting the car in neutral does not affect maneuverability one iota. It's perfectly logical to do it under any condition in an emergency, unless one's a true blue idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies