Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Didnt good o'l Teddy Kennedy come up with "no child left behind"?

More lasting crap from Teddy!
No. GWB actually came up with it, based on something that had been put in place in Texas while he was governor there. He handed it off to Boehner for House passage. It was introduced in the Senate by Jim Jeffords (R-VT). Kennedy was just one of several sponsors in the Senate, though he is most often associated with it due to his long dedication to educational issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
too funny. so the daily kos reports that one Bush advisor joined 1799 other approved providers of supplemental educational services.

And btw, Sandy Kress was the chairman of the Dallas county democratic party
I wasn't being partisan when I posted the OP and I was not being partisan when I provided the link to the profits made off of the program. Why are you turning into a partisan issue? If you insist ...

Bush's Family Profits From `No Child' Act

WASHINGTON — A company headed by President Bush's brother and partly owned by his parents is benefiting from Republican connections and federal dollars targeted for economically disadvantaged students under the No Child Left Behind Act.
Bush's Family Profits From `No Child' Act - Los Angeles Times

Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM

113 posts, read 245,232 times
Obama is seeking to reward the NEA, shocking!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Just going to say it.... All the programs and money in the world won't change the demographics of failing schools, which are the primary culprit...

There's a reason why poorer districts don't do as well, and I guarantee you that the teachers are a VERY small part of it...
Well, this is where segregation actually worked.

Remember, in the 50's and 60's, the black schools had teachers that cared. It was up to the students to prove that they were just as good as the white kids.

Competition between the races spurred intellectual growth. After desegregation, grades went down. Maybe because white teachers didn't want to teach black students, maybe because black teachers didn't want to teach black kids.

Its been proven on several occasions, when you give students someone to fight against, as part of their education, they fight.

I'm not saying we should resegregate the schools, although that could be an option. But maybe we could show them what private schools are doing, and have some competition against them.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Didnt good o'l Teddy Kennedy come up with "no child left behind"?

More lasting crap from Teddy!
Actually it was modeled after the Texas system, that one George W. Bush put into place as governor there. He thought it'd work well on a national level, and it just didn't.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That law has damaged education in this country and should be completely repealed.
The teachers union causes far more damage. They're not even interested in education. We're graduating millions of functional illiterates from public schools and it's the teachers union and the vast numbers of crappy teachers that are responsible. If you can read this it's not because of a teacher.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
rhett,, the point is if you promote a kid from 5th grade to 6th grade, but he cant pass 5th grade, then what is going to happen to that kid, and his peers in 6th grade....that kid will bring everybody down.......that is the idea of INFORCING STANDARDS......cant pass..we will try special ed...that doesnt work, maybe there is a medical/psycological reason...still no progress...here is the door.

promoting when they dont meet a standard hurts everyone

if a teacher has 20 students and 19 pass, the teacher is doing real good....if a teacher has 20 students and only 9 pass...there is a problem,,,are you going to blame a majority of his/her students, or will you admit the teacher isnt getting through to the kids.....this is why the tests...it measures not only the children, but also the ability of the teacher to teach.......just because you have a teachers degree and you are hired as a teacher, doesnt mean you are EFFECTIVE
It can actually be that in one year you have 11 kids out of 20 with various severe problems. At times it can be very difficult to get the extra help a kid needs. I've known teachers who have had to keep pressing the issue for the whole year in order to get a kid help that everyone recognized at the beginning of the year was needed.

What if a teacher has a kid who comes into the classroom 1 to 2 years behind. To get them to score well on the test they will need to advance them 3 years. If they advance them only 2 1/2 years and they will perform poorly on the test. Is that a bad teacher? I'd say the teacher did an outstanding job.

You need to encourage the best teachers to take on the challenges of the most difficult situations. If you punish them for less than perfect results they will tend to migrate to schools without a lot of issues.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I wasn't being partisan when I posted the OP and I was not being partisan when I provided the link to the profits made off of the program. Why are you turning into a partisan issue? If you insist ...
NCLB wasn't partisan. It passed the senate, 91-8 and the house, 384-45. The fact that Obama wants to overturn such a wildly popular bill demonstrates yet again why his policies are out of the mainstream and confidence in his admin is in freefall. That and how he'll play the teacher unions.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Just going to say it.... All the programs and money in the world won't change the demographics of failing schools, which are the primary culprit...

There's a reason why poorer districts don't do as well, and I guarantee you that the teachers are a VERY small part of it...
Absolutely correct.

Quote:
Research has long shown an association between students of poverty and low test scores. There have been five major positions researchers have taken to explain this association. These are: 1. the family background perspective 2. unequal educational resources view 3. the concentrated poverty and social dislocation thesis 4. the culture of poverty theory, and 5. the racial factor. It is often difficult to isolate these factors. Poverty and Learning - WikEd (http://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/index.php/Poverty_and_Learning - broken link)
The problem of low student achievement is far more complex than the lack of a good teacher.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
So, what do we do with children who can't or won't learn? Or with parents who can't or won't parent?
We recently put all the students who failed to show any interest in learning in a class to themselves, to avoid them continuously distracting the students who wanted to learn. Parents of the non-learning and disruptive students blamed other parents and teachers, which was quite amazing to hear and watch. Well now that all the disruptive students are in classes together they no longer believe that "not learning" is fun anymore. We can now let them know that they are the failing seventh grade class and they are extremely embarrassed. They now have a choice to sit in class and learn or they can politely leave and go to the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies