U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you marry your complete political opposite?
Yes. 35 39.77%
No. 36 40.91%
Very, very rare chance. 17 19.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM

39,024 posts, read 22,203,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
No, because I think the opposite of me would be some sort of fascist, authoritarian type. I usually go for women who have a laid back, live and let live attitude toward life.
People describe me as laid back and that I have a live and let live approach to life but I am a Christian conservative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Political values are so entertwined with one's moral and ethical values that I can't understand how anyone can marry someone with strongly opposing political views.
I agree which is why I could not marry a far lefty as there are views held by leftists that contradict my own worldview so it would never work. Now I could see myself marrying a conservative democrat as long as he is a Christian first before he is a democrat as I'm a Christian before I am a republican leaning towards independent.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:11 PM

24,866 posts, read 34,464,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
People describe me as laid back and that I have a live and let live approach to life but I am a Christian conservative.
then you aren't a "Christian conservative". Maybe you are Christian... and conservative. Are you fiscally conservative? If you truly believe in "live and let live", that's liberal. So I find it surprising you say you couldn't marry a leftie.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Good point but what you seek is no longer possible. Americans are different now. Women have babies out of marriage. My mom has worked all my life & nobody in my family has got into trouble w/ police. Mothers must have day care in order to work. The world is changing so policies need to be adjusted to fit the new reality. Republicans look backwards for fear of the future [sort of weak].
Many things worked better in the past as opposed to today's times and maybe it is best to study what worked before and what is failing us now to look for solutions - Ever think of that? Times have changed, some for the better and some for the worse. No one is suggesting that we return to a former era but we do need to look at what worked then to figure out how to repair the things that are broken now. The whole thing is that both political parties need to quit mindless bickering and partisanship and work bipartisan on solutions to the issues of today.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
then you aren't a "Christian conservative". Maybe you are Christian... and conservative. Are you fiscally conservative? If you truly believe in "live and let live", that's liberal. So I find it surprising you say you couldn't marry a leftie.
I could not marry a leftie as our priorities are drastically different and most (if not all) lefties are not Christian.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 PM

19,784 posts, read 14,437,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Would you marry someone who had the complete opposite political ideologies as you?

I don't think I could. It would be hard. Especially every 4 years, I would show support for the Liberal/Democrat guy or gal and he would do the opposite. I dont think it would work. We would probably both fight a lot.

You?

I already did, twice, and buried them in the basement.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:16 PM

24,866 posts, read 34,464,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I could not marry a leftie as our priorities are drastically different and most (if not all) lefties are not Christian.
not me. I'm a democrat and a Christian. I live quite conservatively myself, but I realize that the way other people live is none of my business. That's the "live and let live" part of my view.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:16 PM

19,784 posts, read 14,437,958 times
Chatteress:

and most (if not all) lefties are not Christian.

You did a poll, did you? Polled every Christian church member about their political affiliation?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Chatteress:

and most (if not all) lefties are not Christian.

You did a poll, did you? Polled every Christian church member about their political affiliation?
No ... I did not do a poll. I based my assertion about the ideology of the left which contradicts Christianity and rooted in humanism.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
not me. I'm a democrat and a Christian. I live quite conservatively myself, but I realize that the way other people live is none of my business. That's the "live and let live" part of my view.
I'm pretty much that way but if a law comes up for a vote, I will vote my values. Otherwise, I'm a live and let live type of gal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies