Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you marry your complete political opposite?
Yes. 35 39.77%
No. 36 40.91%
Very, very rare chance. 17 19.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I like George Bush's daughter Barbara. Considering her political views (and who her dad is), it would never work, so my answer to the poll was no.
I think the kids of all presidents turn out ok. Can't recall any daughters or sons of presidents being unliked. And I think Cindy McCain is very hot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Would you marry someone who had the complete opposite political ideologies as you?

I don't think I could. It would be hard. Especially every 4 years, I would show support for the Liberal/Democrat guy or gal and he would do the opposite. I dont think it would work. We would probably both fight a lot.

You?

Before my wife and I were married, she was supporting Jesse Jackson for president. I figured she was too good looking and kind for me to pass up, despite the dem issue. Oddly, being an intelligent woman, she is now a very conservative republican who makes me look like a liberal.

In short, behavior can change over time and temporary insanity is no reason to end a relationship.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Well, the signs of incompatibility should have reared it's ugly head when the guy pulled up for a date in one of those Crayola-colored toy Tata Nano cars, lectured you in a restaurant about the evils of trans fats, turned off the lights not to get romantic but to save energy, and had a bumper sticker saying, "Withdraw From The Overseas Contingency Operation NOW!"

In other words, it wouldn't have lasted to the proposal stage.

Last edited by LauraC; 02-23-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
[quote=LML;13015153]I'm a liberal and I have many dear friends who are conservatives. It works out fine since we are all adults and are able to discuss issues on which we disagree without being disagreeable and nasty about it. [quote]

It's a heck of a lot different from being married to them.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
The wife and I have been married for 20 years. She leans left and I lean right.
She was spoiled her whole childhood and I spoil her too. She thinks it is the governments job to take care of us.

In the last 10 years, her being a small business owner and not an employee, she is starting to come around. The healthcare reform deal had her in a panic.

She rubbed it my face that Obama won, now she has buyers remorse!!!!
Now, she thinks he is a DA and she voted for him. She has since learned what Progressive Politician, really means. She can't stand Nancy Pelosi.

She may switch and lean to the right, after all this mess and her now owning her own business, now.

She is my best friend, my lover and my soul mate.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur

I voted no because if a person is Republican they are more likely not to be educated

There is that elitist attitude, rearing its ugly head.
I'm better than you, so I know what's best for you.

It is people like you that cause the mess and stir the crap, because you think your sh*t doesn't stink.
That is why November mid terms, can't come quick enough.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Would you marry someone who had the complete opposite political ideologies as you?

I don't think I could. It would be hard. Especially every 4 years, I would show support for the Liberal/Democrat guy or gal and he would do the opposite. I dont think it would work. We would probably both fight a lot.

You?
If you truly loved each other, then this would already be accounted for. Might it cause fights , yes, but all married people disagree are one time or another.
James Carville and Mary Matlin as two opposite as could be happily married

Old 02-23-2010, 12:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
You mean, can any of us imagine being in a James Carville -- Mary Matalin type of marriage?

It's difficult to imagine, but I bet they have great chemistry... you know, s**ual tension that they "work out" at home.
I don't even want to picture those two having sex

Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I don't even want to picture those two having sex
I saw them both in New Orleans last year. Lets just say the camera is very kind to him.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
I really don't think I could be happily married to someone on the opposite end of the political spectrum as me. That would just make for too many incompatibility issues.

My husband and I have been together since our high school days, and 22 years later we still have the same/similar views and are happy. We rarely fight about anything.

I do have members of my family that are definite left wingers. We get along just fine, we just don't discuss a whole lot of politics. My sister is a classic liberal, and we've only gotten into one argument over politics and that was 6 years ago. In a marriage though, I think that would be harder to do, especially when it comes to raising children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies