Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Try 23% more...and if your idea is that entire 23% is entirely based on people who claimed bankruptcy because of health care costs, I'd like to see your data. That's ridiculous.

People will find ways to be irresponsible with money no matter what freebies the government hands out. So using 'bankruptcy' and 'financial doom' as a reason for UHC in this country is both based in falsehoods AND in a poor comprehension of human nature.
I think you used the wrong denominator. The Canadian # is the denominator. In any event, I didn't say what you are presuming me to think. Watch who you call ridiculous, please. You don't happen to have a link for those numbers, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Hey Geeoro...I posted some tax stats comparing the US and the UK. Taxes in the UK are much higher. Tell me again about that "free" healthcare?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Hey Geeoro...I posted some tax stats comparing the US and the UK. Taxes in the UK are much higher. Tell me again about that "free" healthcare?
We don't mind paying more tax for the benfit of our Citizens. Many in the UK get healthcare for absolutely NOTHING. NO ONE in the UK worries aout healthcare Either getting it or being able to pay for it... pity this CANNOT be said in the USA...and you defend it.....Amazing. Seems so wierd that there are Americans screaming against paying more tax for the benefit of American citizens YET do not scream about building new hospitals in Iraq and funding a new health system for Iraqis. There was a report on the news today about the new Hospitals built in Baghdad by the American's with American tax payers money. Nothing is for nothing but i am quite prepared to pay higher tax in the USA so that EVERY American gets good health care. Pity some American's don't feel this way about their fellow Citizens and would much rather fund foreign health systems.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
We don't mind paying more tax for the benfit of our Citizens. .
Geeoro - I want to make sure we are clear; you are saying that you have been given the authority by I suppose the Government of Great Britian, to speak on behalf of all other British subjects - is this correct?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
We don't mind paying more tax for the benfit of our Citizens. Many in the UK get healthcare for absolutely NOTHING. NO ONE in the UK worries aout healthcare Either getting it or being able to pay for it... pity this CANNOT be said in the USA...and you defend it.....Amazing. Seems so wierd that there are Americans screaming against paying more tax for the benefit of American citizens YET do not scream about building new hospitals in Iraq and funding a new health system for Iraqis. There was a report on the news today about the new Hospitals built in Baghdad by the American's with American tax payers money. Nothing is for nothing but i am quite prepared to pay higher tax in the USA so that EVERY American gets good health care. Pity some American's don't feel this way about their fellow Citizens and would much rather fund foreign health systems.

I'd rather pay more in taxes for universal health care than bombing people in Afghanistan and Iraq and bailing out crooked banksters.

Geeoro, I doubt many Americans are aware we're funding UHC in Iraq. Do you seriously think many Americans are informed about the issues?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
[quote=InsaneTraveler;13124903]
Quote:
I am an American. I am going to assume you are too. Even though we may disagree on the political spectrum I would never tell you to leave your home (America) because of your political beliefs.
And just exactly how do you determine that I said that some should leave the country? Quite an effort to put words in my mouth. Unfounded as it is, and there is no proof of the assertion.

Quote:
Example: Lets pretend that tomorrow, all rights to purchase guns are taken away and gun sales are banned. Current and prospective gun owners are going to be quite upset about this. I'm sure they will protest and bicker on forums and start a few fights about the issue, but I would never tell them to just pack up, leave everything they know, and move to Finland if they want to own a gun.
Now "pretend" is a valid method of argument? If your supposition was ever put forth, there would be a revolution against those trying to make it happen, IMO.

Quote:
So many Republicans use the 'Go live there then' defense mechanism when health care in other nations is cited. That isn't the attitude any American should have. We should want this nation to be better for everyone.
A totally unverifiable claim aimed at using a broad brush to support your erroneous assertion. Just because you say so does not make it so.

Quote:
I respect leecas' opinion on the health care issue. I just consider it to be the most UN-AMERICAN thing to tell another American to leave the nation because of a difference in political thought! This applies to both Republicans and Democrats
I would tend to agree with this statement with the proviso that no one in authority has made such a statement as you claim.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You got that right! hussein obama and his criminal administration came up with this health care scame behind locked doors with union thugs. Why would anyone with half a brain support anything that is so wrong for America it must be hidden and rushed through, giving no one a chance to read it. Until hussein obama brings it into the light of day, no one should support it.

What is this con man hiding?
And Americans feel a hell of a lot safer as long as it's the private health insurance companies deciding who gets health care and who doesn't rather than letting the government decide such matters.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And Americans feel a hell of a lot safer as long as it's the private health insurance companies deciding who gets health care and who doesn't rather than letting the government decide such matters.
Anyone who believes that is incredibly naive! The insurance company's motive is profit, not the provision of health care. Nor is it the way "Americans" feel. Not every American.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Lots of American conservatives would strongly disagree with you. American conservative also strongly believe in health care thru bankruptcy, because this way the government stay of paying for health care.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:06 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
It's obvious that stupid Americans balk at working for the benefit of another, under coercion of government. And it's also obvious that when government is controlling who, how, what, and when you access health care, you have surrendered your right to choose.

In short, whatever is not mandatory is forbidden.

That's what is known as a totalitarian dictatorship - for our own good.

Remember, government is the reason why health care costs are skyrocketing.
[] Who causes inflation?
[] Who imposes licensing, which increases the cost?
[] Who encourages litigation, as in tort abuse?
[] Who is responsible for the ever rising insurance premiums?
[] Who taxes the medical industry and personnel, who transfers the cost to the patient?
[] Who imposes such bureaucratic paperwork, that physicians now have to hire an office staff to process it all?

If government really wants Americans to be able to afford health care, the solution is to get government entirely OUT OF THE WAY.

But that would require a surrender of power, and that is something government is loathe to do.

Maybe Americans aren't so stupid, after all.
But those in power sure hope we stay stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies