Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 PM

199 posts, read 404,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Medicaid money comes from state and federal taxes. If you buy anything in this state (food and clothing are not exempt from sales taxes here), you are paying sales tax. Many medicaid programs have co-pays. Granted, those don't begin to cover the cost of a visit, but it's incorrect to say that most on Medicaid do not pay one red cent.

IT IS FAIR TO SAY THAT......HOW MANY PEOPLE IN YOUR COUNTY OR STATE LIVE OFF OF WELFARE OR GOVERNMENT BENEFITS AND RECEIVE MEDICAID?

HOW MANY PEOPLE IN YOUR COUNTY OR STATE ARE TAXPAYERS AND RECEIVE MEDICAID?

THERE IS YOUR ANSWER RIGHT THERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195nana View Post
IT IS FAIR TO SAY THAT......HOW MANY PEOPLE IN YOUR COUNTY OR STATE LIVE OFF OF WELFARE OR GOVERNMENT BENEFITS AND RECEIVE MEDICAID?

HOW MANY PEOPLE IN YOUR COUNTY OR STATE ARE TAXPAYERS AND RECEIVE MEDICAID?

THERE IS YOUR ANSWER RIGHT THERE
There are very few people in this state who are paying NO taxes. I can't think of a single example.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
There are very few people in this state who are paying NO taxes. I can't think of a single example.
Your right - when that guy borrowed a cigarette from me the other day while I was standing outside a restaurant, I said "When are you going to pay me back?"
He said, "After I pay my taxes."

Old 03-13-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Your right - when that guy borrowed a cigarette from me the other day while I was standing outside a restaurant, I said "When are you going to pay me back?"
He said, "After I pay my taxes."
What the ??? If he buys cigarettes, he pays taxes, both federal and state.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:15 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
What the ??? If he buys cigarettes, he pays taxes, both federal and state.

I think you missed the key word: borrowed cigarette = he didn't buy it.

Kinda like the person on Welfare borrows my federal tax dollar to be
able to get a welfare check .........or be allowed to have MEDICAID

We get your point that EVERYONE pays some kind of tax - some of us are
just TAXED more than others - putting it kindly

Last edited by pollyrobin; 03-13-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I think you missed the key word: borrowed cigarette = he didn't buy it.

Kinda like the person on Welfare borrows my federal tax dollar to be
able to get a welfare check .........or be allowed to have MEDICAID

We get your point that EVERYONE pays some kind of tax - some of us our
just TAXED more than others - putting it kindly
Who's this "we" Kemo Sabe?

Yes, some are taxed more than others; is that something new since Obama was elected? We've had "progressive income tax" for a long time now.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195nana View Post
Mr England look here........America already has Free HealthCare or better yet Control Health Care that they cannot even handle right now called MEDICAID......these people that receive this insurance do not pay one red cent and receive all the benefits you receive in England and maybe more ...... The bad about all of this we the taxpayers pay for it over and over again.....also the long waiting list to see the doctor or better yet the control of what doctor you can see and when

We Americans today do not want to be control by the Government for every blasted thing we do.....yes some feel this is great ..... But the bottom line is that if you really need surgery or medical help in America you can get it with or without money (State and County Health Care Facilities)
NO America does NOT have free healthcare. The tax we pay funds medicaid. The only way to get surgery or medical help in America is either to qualify for medicaid etc or go to a Emergency room and then refuse to pay the bill which means the tax payer pays for your treatment..... not very good and is dishonest but it is done everyday in America. The UK does not have free healthcare either as it is paid by a tax and the taxpayer pays for the health system. It does mean that if a Non taxpayer needs health care they DO get it without having had put towards it but that is a small price to pay for a health care system that treats EVERY person in the UK without any fear of financial hardship. No one in the UK begrudges other Citizens health care. Medicaid is a band aid trying to cover a huge wound and that is why it is not a great example of how a UHC works...far from it.
We also decide in the UK what Doctor we see and what Hospital we use... it is not decided by outside forces or the Govt. as in America where the Insurance Company decides who you see and only use Doctors who are on their particular scheme. The American system is far less flexible than the UHC in the UK.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
For the first time in America, create a real AMERICAN health service for All Americans.

I dont mind this statement at all, as long as neither the federal or state goverments are involved with it.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I dont mind this statement at all, as long as neither the federal or state goverments are involved with it.
The only way America will ever have a Health System that places health first and profit second is if the Govt runs it. I wish people would realise that the most expensive disasters are made by the corporations and not Govt. The Govt. has to cater for far more people than any Corporation and they have done this over and over again yet the brainwashing of the American people against the Govt is now at fever pitch. The reason for this is NOT Govt. failure but inter party hatred that has to destroy the party in power to get back into office.
The Govt unfortunately does not help itself because it plays the game and tries to stay in office by dropping good plans just to please the public and keep its favourability ratings up. One sign of displeasure and the Govt cuts and runs.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The only way America will ever have a Health System that places health first and profit second is if the Govt runs it. I wish people would realise that the most expensive disasters are made by the corporations and not Govt. The Govt. has to cater for far more people than any Corporation and they have done this over and over again yet the brainwashing of the American people against the Govt is now at fever pitch. The reason for this is NOT Govt. failure but inter party hatred that has to destroy the party in power to get back into office.
The Govt unfortunately does not help itself because it plays the ganme of trying to stay in office by dropping good plans just to please the public and keep its favourability ratings up. One sign of displeasure and the Govt cuts and runs.

and since the goverment does not give a damn about the health of its citizens, i sure as hope to heaven that the feds never ever get control of all the money coming from health care.

if they do, I will probably just stop paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies