Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
And you know this how????????????????????
Let me tell you some facts.............
I am Diabetic. Millions are Diabetic in the UK.
NO Diabetic pays for any Insulin or drugs or syringes or anything to do with their diabetes. I recently went into my nearest pharmacy and they gave me..free of charge a brand new top of the range blood testing machine....... for NOTHING. All of my other drugs that i get for any illness i may have are also free because being Diabetic i am EXEMPT from paying for ANY drugs.
Now don't you feel a bit Stupid?????????
One must surmise that you still believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny,....and Santa.

Your comment that these medicines are FREE is just bullcrap. SOMEONE paid for them,...maybe not the end user,...but SOMEONE.

Free medicine,....free doctor visits,....free surgery,...free hospital stays,...free wheelchairs and motorized carts. It's ALL free AMERICA,...all you have to do is vote for the UHC and EVERYTHING IS FREE.

Yeah,....right........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 02:25 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
It does in germany. What makes you think it doesn't?
UHC has been around since 18..something, I don't remember the exact date but it was introduced by Bismarck.

if govt funded healthcare refuses available drugs, treatments or procedures because of budget constraints, you can say what you want but you have in effect been refused treatment. this kind of thing occurs frequently in countries with uhc. these shortages occured regardless of record tax revenues. it remains to be seen how uhc will cope as this recession drags on and budgets come under severe pressure. in germany, many of the hospitals are managed by private companies, charities and even churches with state subsidies. even though this system is vastly more efficient than the uk system for instance, they still face huge budget shortfalls and every year it gets worse.

like the french, they have often gone down the route of slashing salaries for doctors. this sends out an encouraging message to those embarking on a career in medicine in addition to driving many health care providers to search for greener pastures. from just basic research i see that the germans have adopted some kind of co-pay system and are trying to encourage a more market orientated approach. we strangely want to go in the opposite direction.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:12 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Don't worry, my attorney has helped me handle the situation. Been dealing with the government long enough to know how incompetent they are and how they operate. Now if you would please answer the question I asked you it would be much appreciated.
I have in previous posts put the formulas for NHI Contributions. It is not a constant and changes with earnings and changes each year. If you are employed then your monthly contribution is taken out of your salary every week/month depending on when you get paid. If you are self employed you pay a small sum each month and that amount is then taken away from you tax bill at the end of the year. The NHI Contribution is not big and many don't even know how much goes out as it is not big enough to really affect them.
Here are the tables on NI Contributions..... Remember that these amounts are NOT just for health it covers unemployment, Housing, sickness, Old age Pensions and many other benefits...............
HM Revenue & Customs: Rates and Allowances - National Insurance Contributions

Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I'ts not free, someone is paying for it, how high are your taxes on what ever items that the tax goes to pay for UHC? Figures please and proof of these figures?????????
It is absolutely free to many who cannot work or are unemployed. The rest of us who work and pay the tax have NO problem with that. Who knows, one day we might be in that unfortunate position of a crippling illness that stops us working and it is a HUGE comfort to know that our healthcare will NEVER be affected.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:44 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,191 times
Quote:
It is absolutely free to many who cannot work or are unemployed. The rest of us who work and pay the tax have NO problem with that. Who knows, one day we might be in that unfortunate position of a crippling illness that stops us working and it is a HUGE comfort to know that our healthcare will NEVER be affected.
Thats fine but you do not have a right to tell me that I have to pay for someone else.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:00 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
What a amazing argument against a fully funded national health system....... NOT!
Yes it is. Do you hire someone to do a job with a PROVEN track record of failing miserably at that job? Would you hire someone with multiple traffic accidents, speeding tickets, moving violations to park cars?

The US government has already proven they can't run health insurance at an acceptable level, that is one major reason most people don't trust them with any thing like UHC.

Quote:
UHC works all over the World.
Right, that's why so many Canadians come to the US for health care, because UHC is working so perfectly up north.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
It is absolutely free to many who cannot work or are unemployed. The rest of us who work and pay the tax have NO problem with that.
Speaking for everyone now? Have the UK people ever been allowed to vote on that, or is it just imposed on them by the government? Have there even been polls taken in the UK to see if the people really have no problem with that?

Old 02-27-2010, 06:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Thats fine but you do not have a right to tell me that I have to pay for someone else.
Do you have a problem with others paying for a service you use that they don't? What if your house catches on fire? Is it OK for everyone else to pay for fire protection and you to use it?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-27-2010 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-28-2010, 04:27 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Right, that's why so many Canadians come to the US for health care, because UHC is working so perfectly up north.
Since when is Canada "the World" and how many Canadian come to the US for health services?

Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You sound like you fit right into the topic of your post. What I'm saying is you sound like an idiot. Have you ever seen the government run anything and do a good job of it? I didn't think so. Have you read the total health care bill as it was first proposed? Again, I didn't think so. I don't want the government telling me what medications my doctor can give me, I don't want the government causing me to have to wait to visit my doctor or hospital. If this whole program is so good, why are our congresssmen excluding themselves? Wake up, do some reading before you talk about something you don't know anything about. Better yet, just stay in London with the rest of the fools, you seem to fit right in there also.
Well here under universal health care cover, at least in my country people can choose between public (medicare) and private health insurance. In addition some of the private health care is rebated.

At least if people choose to have private health care cover they can easily switch to medicare if they like by using the public hospital system.

Anyway the medications are I believe are cheaper here in Australia than the US, as certain medications are heavily subisided by the government. In addition to make medications cheaper generic versions of the product are produced.

Anyway I know the US medical industry is one of the most profitable in the US, and they are a major lobbying group in Washington. Anyway I saw the program Sicko and astonished on a nation that is the richest nation in the world, there are people there that pay increadible amounts on medication there, and Cuba the medications are much cheaper, even here in Australia the same medications would be cheaper too.

Last edited by other99; 02-28-2010 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies