Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree with all of this. The news report I heard seemed to imply that this wasn't a ticking bomb that might or might not go off again, but that it certainly would go off, and I was simply wondering about rebuilding in an intellectual (ie, not emotional) way. A lot of money has been donated, and while rebuilding, replacing what has been lost has a lot of emotional resonance, is this the best use of the money? While the port obviously has economic importance to the country, the country could pause and think about expending the money to areas where the earthquake damage was minimized, building a more diverse economy, perhaps, improving roads, putting its government headquarters further inland. I'm just thinking aloud, meandering as it were.
I read an article some where that said the UN has set up a study committee of some kind to decide how to rebuild Haiti plus ordinate it all. I don't doubt they will take into consideration all the things you're saying because it's just common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I read an article some where that the UN has set up a study committee of some kind to decide how to rebuild Haiti plus ordinate it all. I don't doubt they will take into consideration all the things you're saying because it's just common sense.
That's good!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If we spend billions then why the shoddy workmanship ?
re read. I said we would spend billions to rebuild. the shoddy workmanship has not been done yet....

I suppose it will be shoddy as it will be an effort led by the UN, but that is another story.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM

DC, the bottom line here is that while it makes a lot more sense to move these people and leave Haiti to heal itself (they have distroyed their environment) we will not do it because of the sickness these people suffer from.

It is a nasty mess and in the end Haiti will be left to the abject poverty they have been in since they were slaves.

it is sad really.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I read an article some where that said the UN has set up a study committee of some kind to decide how to rebuild Haiti plus ordinate it all. I don't doubt they will take into consideration all the things you're saying because it's just common sense.
Here is it..$3.09/day..1984 wages.

Can low-paying garment industry save Haiti? - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100221/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_haiti_earthquake - broken link)

"Garments are central to the economic growth plan commissioned by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon last year, a 19-page report written by Oxford University economics professor Paul Collier and promoted by former President Bill Clinton as special envoy to the impoverished nation."

Personally, I think agriculture/commodities would be the way to go..that country is rich in resources and could command a much higher dollar with commodities.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
DC, the bottom line here is that while it makes a lot more sense to move these people and leave Haiti to heal itself (they have distroyed their environment) we will not do it because of the sickness these people suffer from.

It is a nasty mess and in the end Haiti will be left to the abject poverty they have been in since they were slaves.

it is sad really.
Imperialism destroyed Haiti. The Dominican Republic is right next door and they are not as impoverished as Haiti.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:38 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
But evidently this recent earthquake actually makes another, more severe earthquake a strong possibility, as it has increased pressure on the plates beneath the island.
There was something on the Discovery Channel about this. Apparently geologists were not surprised that the earthquake happened where it did, and in fact, the same plate movements that caused that earthquake are also a big earthquake threat to southern Florida.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:47 AM

680 posts, read 1,383,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
(The ridge that the old city of New Orleans sits on is not sinking generally and is largely stable, ie. near the river. And I have a friend from the Netherlands who grew up in an area that sits FAR lower in elevation than New Orleans. The Dutch however have made protection of low lying areas a priority)
Plus New Orleans would not be sitting with disappearing wetlands had gas and oil companies not opened up canals into the marsh allowing for salt intrusion yet no one is holding those companies into account for what they have done.
All very good points. If the federal or Louisiana state government would sack-up to the task of building dykes that actually work instead of weak earthen levees, New Orleans would stand a much better chance of surviving the next one. As for the parts of town that are lowest in elevation, wouldn't it be a smart idea to not rebuild but rather to turn them into natural areas (parks and/or wetlands?)

As for what the oil companies have done.... grrr.... And dams upriver (along all the tributaries) have also played an important role in the demise of the protective barrier twixt Gulf and City.

Sorry for going off-topic with New Orleans chat when the question was about Port-au-Prince. As others have said, there really aren't many options for Haitians other than massive foreign aid for rebuilding viable cities, or relocating most of the population to safer lands.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Imperialism destroyed Haiti. The Dominican Republic is right next door and they are not as impoverished as Haiti.
well there is a random thought.

does it matter what distroyed Haiti? The question is about what happens now?

the place is a shambles. It was a shambles before the earthquake. Now is is a ruin and a shambles and the ecology of the place has been in utter ruin for decades.

If Haiti were in America we would declare the entire place a hazardous wast site and it would fall under Superfund legislation for cleanup.

what caused it all doesnt matter nearly as much as what gets done about it.

consider me jaded, what we will do will be the least we can and they will be no better off than before.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
I'm not familiar with Haiti, or the significance of Port-au-Prince, so I'm sincerely wondering if, in light of the threat of another devastating earthquake there, are there reasons why the city must be rebuilt?

Under world's greatest cities, deadly plates - Washington Post- msnbc.com

sure why not, just not at the cost of american taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies