Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
Well when forming Militias is legal then you should really start worrying about your future in the U.S. because these people will take advantage of that and they will spread like cancer. If the government keeps ignoring this disease, then this decision will backfire.
And the government should start by ripping up the Bill of Rights?

As for now I have a right, a right that is not given to me by the government, to speak my mind and I am always amazed when I find someone that thinks that tearing up the Bill of Rights is a good idea.

The truth of the matter is the government only governs by the consent of the people. If enough people stop consenting it is all over and it won't take guns either. Imagine 20 million Americans mailing dog turds to the IRS.

Actually it wouldn't take 20 million. Imagine 1 million mailing in a quarter thimble of baby powder.

The point I am making is without our consent the government is nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Man this decision would backfire big time in the future, because they would only get bigger and bigger. Militias pose a risk of destabilizing the country and limiting freedom, the government should keep an eye on them, but sadly you got people like arctichomesteader who defend them not knowing what their main aims are.
No knowledge of them? I've gone to a few militia meetings...I know what they're about. They aren't this big danger you're making them out to be. And it would be unconstitutional to ban them, as that would violate the right to keep and bear arms, the right to assemble, etc.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And if you're acting illegaly...LEO's and military members have a duty to disobey.

That's already covered by the UCMJ. A military member is under no duty to follow an illegal order. That's why this oathkeepers thing is redundant.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So as a Police Supervisor I have a house surrounded but several of my officers now want to question the Constitutionality of the Arrest. My experience is that these officers will be looking for other employment.

Same thing in the Military or does no one remember School Desegregation.
I'm curious how you can make the leap from someone being a member of a group to that same person being insubordinate. Do you think anyone who associates with any militia group is not to be trusted? Do you have any evidence to suggest that militia group members and associates are more likely to act in an insubordinate manner?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM

731 posts, read 776,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Militias work very well in Switzerland. Why not here? You seem to idly speculating as to what could happen. Again, right out of the George W Bush playbook.
Because Switzerland is small country, with a small population, its easy for them to control their people, but when you have a country of over 300 million, with a lot of people opposing the government, illegal immigrants, and other immigrants pouring in the country, wasting so much money on Iraq and Afghanistan, the country itself is in debt, these private militias could take advantage of that and start recruiting more people and things would slowly start going downhill from there.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
One thing for sure, the libbies hate the people that love and respect their country. They make fun of patriots.

What about liberal veterans?

Last edited by Greatwoods; 02-23-2010 at 08:13 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
People on all sides have argued for handgun bans. Though I'm a liberal I'm for the 2nd ammendment, but this argument is nothing new. And how exactly is cap & trade and UN treaty signings unconstitutional?
Progressives from either party are likely to be against the 2nd Amendment but not all liberals are progressives. That leaves you supporting the progressives although you don't agree with throwing away the 2nd Amendment.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Summers73, there's one thing you need to know, when private militias get powerful they may not have the ability to takeover, but fear will spread around the area they exist, and if they expand their movement, fear would spread among more people, and that means freedom will get limited. This thing would not happen in 1 year, but it will take years and it will eventually happen if the government continues to give these people a blind eye.
Have you thought of mentioning what you said here to the Attorney General? HOw much longer do you think he will be in his position? I think Holder is on the way out, but maybe you could get him to use his lawyers to watch all those people who don't agree with Obama about so many things. I think you better tell him about those people.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
What about liberal veterans?
There is a world of difference between liberals and progressives and it is past time for many here to recognize that.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Roy, will you drop this nonsense already? You didn't know what a progressive was until you know who threw a tantrum about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies