Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times

Advertisements

At the CPAC conference, Beck compared Progressivism to Communism, and cited previous progressives such as Woodrow Wilson and FDR, who pushed for the income tax and universal health care, respectively. Despite the former being used by elected officials to create things for the common good, Beck stressed that these were the first steps on the road to ruin.

Upon hearing Glenn Beck announce that he learned this by reading books at the library, Stewart had some choice words for the Fox News host:

"Glenn, the library isn't free! It's paid for with tax money. Free public libraries are the result of the Progressive movement to communally share books. The first public library was the Boston public library in 1854. It's statement of purpose: every citizen has the right to access community owned resources. Community owned? That sounds just like communist. You're a communist!"

Video: Rage Within the Machine - Progressivism | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
Stewart To Glenn Beck: "You're A Communist!" (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Lol, Glenn Beck's never been in a library.

But Stewart is right, as always -- libraries are communist and must be avoided at all costs.

They're elitist, too... full of strange ideas, many promulgated by avowed, unabashed foreigners.

Think of the children!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
Roflmao!!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:47 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Once again, the left fails to understand and respect the difference between the federal government and its purpose, and state and local governments and their purposes.

For a group that supposed to be so "smart" and enlightened, this "stupid, ignorant conservative" sure does have to point that out to you guys a lot...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 AM

305 posts, read 360,453 times
I find it funny how the left has to go to extremes and 'claim' that Beck is a communist for using a library...

...ok, I DO realize that the statement was facetious - BUT, it still was a dumb statement...carry on progressives!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,069 times
No, Beck is a capatalist, not the old fashioned type that produced products or goods for sale...

Beck is the the other old fashioned style capatalist...the "Snake Oil" salesman. He claims his recipe cures everthing.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
I find it funny how the left has to go to extremes and 'claim' that Beck is a communist for using a library...

...ok, I DO realize that the statement was facetious - BUT, it still was a dumb statement...carry on progressives!
Beck's statement is similar to the old conservative at the town hall meeting this summer who said "keep the government's hands off my medicare."

Or the conservative actor who played "Coach" who went on TV and said he was on food stamps when he was young, and "nobody was there to help me!"

If we didn't have Progressive ideas in this country, women wouldn't be voting, blacks would be at the back of the bus, we would enter into a Depression every 12 years or so, we'd have no national parks, insane pollution levels, child labor, rampant poverty, the list goes on...

When Beck said the books at the library are "free," he was being just as ignorant and hypocritical as the two examples above.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 AM

32,813 posts, read 19,492,759 times
arty.

do you under stand the difference between the FEDERAL government and state/local governments

Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 AM

12,371 posts, read 9,316,377 times
The John Daily Show is the best at getting the point across about Glenn Beck's hypocrisy.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 AM

305 posts, read 360,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Beck's statement is similar to the old conservative at the town hall meeting this summer who said "keep the government's hands off my medicare."

Or the conservative actor who played "Coach" who went on TV and said he was on food stamps when he was young, and "nobody was there to help me!"

If we didn't have Progressive ideas in this country, women wouldn't be voting, blacks would be at the back of the bus, we would enter into a Depression every 12 years or so, we'd have no national parks, insane pollution levels, child labor, rampant poverty, the list goes on...

When Beck said the books at the library are "free," he was being just as ignorant and hypocritical as the two examples above.
links please?

EDIT - nevermind...your statements here seem so devoid of intelligent thought, I dont know if its worth my time...but, I would like to know what 'text books' you have read so I can help others steer clear of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies