Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Former First Ladies like former Presidents are afforded Secret Service protection for life and if history is our guide, it is more than justified.

Also, let me point out that presidential motorcades are rather large as they contain not only the candidates, the traveling press but local and state officials as well, so, just like long funeral corteges, they require special assistance from motorcycle patrols whose main responsibility is to provide the safe and efficient movement of a large number of cars through traffic.

The officers family has little standing with regards the Sec Clinton as a defendant, but it makes good press.

the clintons have been out of office longer than 4 years, so who cares. plus I do not think or believe that a former or any 1st lady needs any secret service protections at all. after all the american people did not elect the 1st lady to office, they just came with the the potus as a package deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
doesnt matter, not the publics problem. if a politician is so worried about their safety, then let them handle and hire their own security.
Who are you going to get to run for office under those circumstances? People like the Sect. of State, etc., don't make the kind of salaries that would allow them to hire their own security....not to mention the fact that the Secret Service men and women are thoroughly vetted and trained where private companies may or may not be.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 02-24-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
the clintons have been out of office longer than 4 years, so who cares. plus I do not think or believe that a former or any 1st lady needs any secret service protections at all. after all the american people did not elect the 1st lady to office, they just came with the the potus as a package deal.
I believe Ms. Clinton received protection as a political candidate.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

and she should not have had it, she also recieved it as a ex 1st lady as well.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
drama? we already have drama in washington dc, each and everytime politicians violate our rights.

I am still in the belief that if politicians want protection, then let them supply it for themselves.

potus should be the only one getting secret service protection.

former potus that have been out of office less than 4 years should also get it, but anything more than 4 years is their cost and not with the secret service.

this also applies to the veeps as well.
Yes, apply the same principles of non protection here that they have in unstable countries where leaders have their own private armies and at any time the current government can be toppled by just killing off the leadership and staging a coupe. That makes so much sense. <sarcasm>

You say we already have drama in D.C. but we haven't had the drama of assassinations in a very long time and I hope to God we never have a rash of them again. THAT is drama, not the current fashion of petty bipartisan bickering.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 02-24-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Who are you going to get to run for office under those circumstances? People like the Sect. of State, etc., don't make the kind of salaries that would allow them to hire their own security....not to mention he fact that the Secret Service men and women are thoroughly vetted and trained where private companies may or may not be.

tough, if they dont like it, then do not run for public office.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Yes, apply the same principles of non protection here that they have in unstable countries where leaders have their own private armies and at any time the current government can be toppled by just killing off the leadership and staging a coupe. That makes so much sense. <sarcasm>

You say we already have drama in D.C. but haven't had the drama of assassinations in a long time and I hope to God we never have a rash of them again. THAT is drama, not the current fashion of petty bipartisan bickering.
I wish I could rep you again.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:

You say we already have drama in D.C. but haven't had the drama of assassinations in a long time and I hope to God we never have a rash of them again. THAT is drama, not the current fashion of petty bipartisan bickering.

I did say that I think that the potus and veep needed secret service protection right?

I just think that no other politician needs any publically provided protection at all. at least not with taxpayer money.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And she also holds one of the most important cabinet positions in the country and that takes her traveling all over the world. So she deserves Secret Service protection on two counts.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
And she also holds one of the most important cabinet positions in the country and that takes her traveling all over the world. So she deserves Secret Service protection on two counts.

in the days of old when the potus was 1000,s of miles away I could understand having a secof state. but now with instant transmission, cell phone use and computers there is no need for a sec of state. just another useless politician stealing money from the taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies