Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 AM

33,511 posts, read 37,039,582 times

Advertisements

This is just an observation, but in my time on this forum I think the majority of conservative are not only anti gay, they let their religion do their thinking, (if you can call it that) deny climate change, are against the equitable sharing of wealth, and do not want any changes to health care...They are also against supporting the less fortunate with any sort of aid....In short they have an anti progress mind set that says I've got mine, so screw the rest of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM

4,771 posts, read 3,275,118 times
I think pro-gay versus anti-gay is a generational thing more so then political. There is far more acceptance coming from the under 40 crowd then the boomers and seniors. I work with various organizations aimed at ending homophobia in sports. From my experience I can tell you that from the big four, well over half of pro athletes support marriage equality, with the highest support coming from American players in the NHL. Those athletes are mostly moderate right leaning.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,738,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The made up word homophobe, by the gay community, implies a fear of gays which would be the very rare person. People do not fear gays, they do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle. I do not recognize made up words.
Lol, homophobe wasn't invented by the gay community, it was coined by George Weinberg, a psychologist from Columbia University in the 1960s. And the term means more than just fear, although people do in fact fear homosexuals/homosexuality. Any time someone makes the claim that gays will indoctrinate their children or lead to the downfall of society or bring about God's wrath, that is all based on irrational fear.

And all words are made up.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,738,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Except for Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist church people.

They are big time liberals. He was pretty important in the Democrat party a few years back .
Democrat =/= liberal.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 AM

127 posts, read 142,615 times
Conservatives are no more anti-gay than liberals. In all the years that liberals had full control, they did NOTHING to advance gay rights, other than talk about how little conservatives did when they were in charge. Truth is, neither side has done anything. One side is just better at lying than the other.

Liberals have to come up with nasty generalizations (anti-gay, racist, religious zealots, teabaggers, etc.) to call their enemies in an effort to turn ill informed voters against them. It's surprising how often it works.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,948,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Not all rightwingers are homophobes, but it sure appears that all homophobes are rightwingers. ("Conservative" is a different animal; one that has gone extinct, as far as I can tell.)
And quoted for truth. Have a rep point, Sir. Or Madam, whichever.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 PM

29,190 posts, read 22,236,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The made up word homophobe, by the gay community, implies a fear of gays which would be the very rare person. People do not fear gays, they do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle. I do not recognize made up words.
The word is a psychological term that was used long before the word gay became the popular definition for homosexuals. The gay community didn't 'make it up'. It was coined by psychologist George Weinberg in the 60's. Back then, homosexuals were called 'qu..r', not 'gay'.

It's literal definition is: morbid fear of homosexuals. As it has come into common usage, the word has lost some of it's strict definition; lately, it has become watered down to mean dislike, which is a far less intense word than fear.

Since all words are 'made up' at some time by someone, what language do you speak exactly?

Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,571,572 times
Default Conservatives aren't homophobes

So, they're homophiles?

Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,450,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This is just an observation, but in my time on this forum I think the majority of conservative are not only anti gay, they let their religion do their thinking, (if you can call it that) deny climate change, are against the equitable sharing of wealth, and do not want any changes to health care...They are also against supporting the less fortunate with any sort of aid....
The problem is that you mix opinions in with negative personality traits, which suggests that you feel you know the only true way to think. Such as you putting anti-gay in a list with "against equitable sharing of wealth". So being prejudiced is on the same level as being for free markets. Somehow these are linked characteristics? It's irrelevant whether people share both ideas or not, the ideas themselves not only have nothing in common but aren't even in the same realm of human thought. One is a prejudice, the other is an economic theory. You cannot put both in the same list and then draw conclusions from that list. It's like saying I like chocolate, I live vanilla, the sky is blue, I like strawberry.

I'm not going to argue each individual item you listed there. I'm just going to say that if some conservatives let their religion do their thinking for them, some liberals let their politics do their thinking for them. And letting your politics do your thinking for you would include saying something like conservatives are against changes to healthcare. That is campaign rhetoric from the Democrats. In fact, Republicans sat down with Obama in a meeting and presented a long list of healthcare reform ideas. This meeting is the source of Obama's quote "I won, and elections have consequences" when he rejected their ideas. Republicans are against Obamacare specifically, not against reforming healthcare. Why don't you know this? Or if you do, why are you misrepresenting the facts? Are you accepting Democrat talking points as truth? If so, is that any different than a Republican accepting a Bible passage as truth?

Quote:
In short they have an anti progress mind set that says I've got mine, so screw the rest of you.
Or, they have a pro-individual freedom mindset that says dependence on government creates a class of people who devalue work, family, and education since they derive more from benefits than they do from their own efforts and who are unable to make free political choices since they are constrained to vote for whoever will continue those benefits regardless of other political issues.

Example, we have helped black people with welfare, and being on welfare is harder to qualify for if you're a family than if you're a single mother. Now we have a 70% illeglitimacy rate in the black community and an epidemic level of fatherlessness that the President himself has declared a national problem. But in your judgment, the fact that I oppose a welfare system that has produced this outcome is because I have a "*********, I got mine" attitude, not that I feel it would be better for black children to have stable families with fathers.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,211,779 times
It also depends on how you define homophobe. The bar has shifted over the past few years. If you don't hold each one of the following positions, you are a homophobe.

1. Gays should have full marriage rights at the federal level, state level, and in places of employment
2. Homosexuality is a beautiful expression of love and should in no way by any person be thought of a repulsive or sinful
3. Sex between two men is in every possible way equal to sex between a man and a woman
4. Businesses that recognize heterosexual relationships in any way should be required by law to recognize homosexual relationships (Example: A bakery must bake a gay wedding cake, gay pride cookies, etc if it is requested)
5. 10% of the population is exclusively gay with 90% having same sex attraction to some degree. 70% of the population has enough attraction to either sex to be considered bisexual
6. Homosexuality is completely genetic and hardwired at birth in 100% of cases, and is as much a part of who somebody is as skin color

Most conservatives are against one or more of those things, so they are by definition homophobes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies