Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times

Advertisements

I would never expect my child to pay for their education. It's my duty to provide until they are 21 or on into grad school. They are going on the family full ride plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree that a good foundation is necessary. However, I would include social studies in that. What good does teaching reading do if they're only going to read "readers" for five years?
Ok we were doing so good agreeing and you have to go and blow it. LOL

Ok I am going to give you a true example of what happen to my 6 year old then you tell me if you still think so.

Ok my 6 year old is in 1st grade he goes to school from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm that is 6 1/2 hours. Out of that 6 1/2 hours they spend less then 2 hours a day on reading, math, science and writing. The rest of the time is spent on social studies, art, music, gym, history. Only 2 hours out of a 6 1/2 hour day. I was shocked when I found out. I thought for sure it would have been much more on the main subjects. So I asked the teacher about it and I was told that the teachers have to spend a certain amount of time on each thing even if the childen want to say read more or even if she thinks they could use more time on say math. Now I think it is wondwerful to learn about the president, no really I do. but I would much rather have my 6 year old know how to spell president then know where he was born.

Quote:
I'm not really impressed with a lot of private schools. I've seen some of their students, and I don't think they do a better job in most cases than the publics. If you think your kids are going to get some huge college scholarships, think again. Most "scholarship" aid these days is loans and jobs.
I agree many private schools are not worth the money.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Make it profitable for parents to have academically successful children. Give mom and dad a tax credit for junior's academic excellence. Then, sit back and watch test scores soar....

Old 02-25-2010, 12:18 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Yes, and it's a direct reflection of our culture where nobody is allowed to experience failure of any sort. We wouldn't want to hurt the self esteem of any child by addressing the actual problems of why they aren't succeeding, just pass them and move on.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are your kids in high school yet? One of the doctors I work with sent all his kids to a relgious school until 8th grade, then to public high school. He said the religious school was "mediocre" academically for high school. I think it does depend somewhat on the size of the school. It's good it's working out for your kid.

I'm just sayin' re: scholarships, you need to keep some money in reserve for college or your kids will graduate with a huge debt.

There is a huge difference between private schools and religious private schools. I have heard from countless people that catholic schools are far below in math and science. Now a private school that is not religious based you probably do get a better education if you can afford it.

I looked in to private school for my boys not religious and for half day kindergarten it was $15,000 per year. That is just insane.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I looked in to private school for my boys not religious and for half day kindergarten it was $15,000 per year. That is just insane.
Oh my GOD! That is an insane amount of money for kindergarten tuition. One of my best friends sends her son to Science and Arts Academy Science & Arts Academy, gifted PS-8 education for Chicago, Chicago suburbs, Chicagoland (http://www.scienceandartsacademy.org/index.html - broken link)(private school for gifted kids) and I thought her tuition for 1st grade was outrageous at $16,000/year.

I really don't think that the education her son is receiving is all that superior to the one my daughter (also in 1st grade) is receiving at my local public school. I will say though, that my school district was ranked 9th in my state, so it's probably a little better than the average school in IL.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:40 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
I had this talk with some people the other day about this and they say yes, it's a mess.

So what can we do to change the tide before kids look at school as a glorified daycare instead of a place of higher learning?

whose fault is it? the school system? the teachers? the parents? All?
I have friends and family who are teachers and in talking w/them and many others through them over the years, it's easly the parents (not all, obviously) - or perhaps fairer/more to the point, the way our society has gone in general, ie WAY more permissive and generally a truckload stupider in terms of dealing w/kids. Teacher's authority has been shredded thanks to all this boo-hoo "don't upset my precious angel" attitude which a very disturbing # of parents have and which school administrations cower to out of fear of being sued or otherwise getting in trouble. That and similarly brilliant touchy-feely trends like "you can't fail" are asinine in the extreme and makes it extremely hard to teach when you spend so much time just trying to keep kids under control. It isn't about politics or any given "system." The saddest and ironic part is it's the kids who suffer the most.

I always thought being a teacher would be a fantastic job, but you couldn't pay me enough to do it nowdays.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
15,000 a year is pretty much the standard rate for middle to high school in Houston, and most large cities. Lower school usually ranges the 8-12k range. It's all what you are looking for and feel is worth while for your own child. Some prefer the kinder learning enviroment private has in larger cities, and the better allocation of funds for education versus free lunches and ESL. (yeah, I'll get flamed for that.) Those that have never attended or used both public and private are usually the first to NAY SAY private schools.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Most parents can easily supplement what their elementary kids learn in school by having reading/writing time at home. Although I admit to dropping the ball myself when my kids were young I distinctly remember my dad working with me when I was a child. It didn't take hours or anything, just a little time a few days a week. It's time we should be spending with our kids anyway right? We just get bogged down in sports or other activities and forget that we are their best teachers. Not that I could have home schooled them, I sure didn't have that skill set, but I know I could have done more with the skills I did have.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
There is a huge difference between private schools and religious private schools. I have heard from countless people that catholic schools are far below in math and science. Now a private school that is not religious based you probably do get a better education if you can afford it.
I went to a religious private school and when I finally went to public school, I found that I was far ahead of my peers.

There are some specialized public schools that are pretty good too.

It depends on the school, but as with everything, the good schools are hard to get in to and the not so good are plentiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies