Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,747,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Logic has nothing to do with it.
To a "conservative" mind, you bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosemeninlove View Post
Look it up Rhett, in wikipedia for starters continuing with religoustolerance.org. You can also research Stats Can. Much of what you've brought up here is inconsequential to this discussion. Whether or not the divorces in question were newly marrieds or not, please find refuting cititations ot the stats we provided before slinging your usual misinformation. One couple was married for two years :

CBC news: "Two women who got married in Parksville two years ago have been granted a divorce by a B.C. Supreme Court judge in Nanaimo.

Gay and lesbians in B.C. won the legal right to marry in 2003, sparking a wedding boom.

Here, we'll give you this much - wiki:
"On September 13, 2004, a lesbian couple known as "M.M." and "J.H." in Ontario were granted Canada's first same-sex divorce"

"In June 2005, a lesbian couple in British Columbia, whose names cannot be released, obtained a similar ruling."

Your attempt to discredit us is a failure. What you want to do is engage in a direct flame war.

And now, your citations please.
You've proven that two gay couples in Canada divorced by 2005. What you have NOT proven is that no others divorced.

I have researched and there is NOTHING to indicate that these are the ONLY two instances of gay divorce in Canada since 2003...

I saw the exact same two cases that you did. I've read the Wiki. What I didn't see was ANY indication that these are the ONLY two cases. You have not shown anything that indicates it either.

As for a flame war, I am simply pointing out your fallacy that you like to fall back on that somehow in your mind proves that gay marriage is the greatest thing since sliced bread.... I don't really give a crap one way or the other, but I'm not going to permit you to use factually incorrect data to back up..... whatever it is..... you are trying to say.

Gay Divorce Rates - Gay Marriage Divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by one source
Canada's first gay marriage divorce was filed by one of the first gay couples to be married in Ontario. The couple was married a week after same-sex marriage was legalized in Ontario. They had been together for five years but separated five days after their wedding day.

Divorce laws had not been amended by that time to apply to same-sex couples, and still referred to spouses as 'a man and a woman who are married to each other.' The court had to defer the case until the Canadian Supreme Court ruled on the legality of gay marriages nationwide.
But that's no matter, it's the same couple you cited I believe... This PRO GAY (mind you) website goes on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpride.com
Many gay couples who married shortly after same sex marriage was legalized in their country waited years for their chance. Such couples might be thought to have a higher than usual level of commitment and stability. Yet gay and lesbian couples were divorcing just months after they married – or less.

Gay couples divorce for many reasons. Gay couples experience strong cultural pressures. Gay couples are also more likely to be two-income families with no children, which in the straight population have a higher risk of divorce. One of the less-thought-of reasons for gay marriage is to ensure that a couple in the process of break-up can access divorce courts.

As gay marriage is a relatively recent phenomenon, the gay divorce rate will not stabilize for a long time. Gay couples can only now access the streamlined legal processes that marriage and divorce provides. A study showed that the gay divorce rate for Dutch lesbian couples was higher than gay male couples, although the reason wasn't clear. Data from Nordic countries, where gay civil unions have been legal for more than a decade, also showed a slightly higher divorce rate for lesbians
Now, as I've stated, there are no "official" numbers from Canada, but this HARDLY implies that only two gay couples have divorced in Canada since marriage was allowed.

Again, I know you THINK I'm railing against gay marriage. I really don't care. The FACT is that you are wrong. Ready for YOUR citations that prove that your two examples are the ONLY two gay divorces to have occurred in Canada.

When you fail to come back with that, perhaps we can move on? It's not true.

Have scoured the website you provided as "proof" that your claim is true. So far nothing. Either provide the page that unequivocally states that ONLY two gay divorces have occurred in Canada, or admit that you are mistaken on that.

Here's a bit more, (though I doubt you'll read it)

http://gaymarriage.lifetips.com/cat/64296/gay-divorce/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaymarriage site
In the Netherlands, where gay marriage has been legal since 2001, gay and heterosexual divorce rates are equal at 1 %. This is the most reliable statistic so far, as the Netherlands was the first country to legalize gay marriage.
Although statistics have yet to emerge, there is no reason gay marriage divorce rates should be vastly dissimilar to heterosexual divorce rates.
The absence of statistics giving me a precise number on how many gay divorces have occurred in Canada doesn't mean that since we only have two news-clipping of specific gay couples getting divorced, that only two have occurred...

Thought you were smarter than that.

Last edited by Rhett_Butler; 03-02-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 AM

305 posts, read 359,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What rights?
The rights that are given to married partners - without having to perform other legal filings.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
Sure do. Don't use religion to dictate what people can and can not do.
I didnt. You misunderstood.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Quite frankly, civil unions will not be seen as the same as marriage and the civil union laws ( what they grant you and what they don't) we suspect will be endlessly revisited and tinkered with.
The thing is that this is VERY proveable.... New Jersey has obviously dropped the ball on the concept.

This isn't some vague "separate but equal" thing. It would be in writing and pretty easy to see whether the two constructs are equal or not.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
The rights that are given to married partners - without having to perform other legal filings.
Who gives them those rights?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 AM

236 posts, read 236,593 times
Lol sorry Rhett, but we don't do business with trolls, especially ones with the specious proclivity for splitting hairs. Anyone here can research on google. Anyone here can also enter your avatar name and search out your posts in threads to gain perspective on where you're coming from in this.

Have a nice day!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Who gives them those rights?
Wrong. The question is not who - it is what gives those rights. Those answers can be found in 'U.S. family law'.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
Wrong. The question is not who - it is what gives those rights. Those answers can be found in 'U.S. family law'.
No, the question is... Who?

How did the US family law come about? Without the government?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Lol sorry Rhett, but we don't do business with trolls, especially ones with the specious proclivity for splitting hairs. Anyone here can research on google. Anyone here can also enter your avatar name and search out your posts in threads to gain perspective on where you're coming from in this.

Have a nice day!

Translation: You are right Rhett. We have no proof and tried to use an unsubstantiated claim to further our cause. We didn't read any of your sources because we weren't prepared to face the obvious conclusion that we are wrong on this point... We scoured the internet in an attempt to find something ANYWHERE that says only two gay couples have divorced in Canada in the seven years that gay marriage has been allowed and were unable to find anything that says that.

Rather than actually say "We're wrong", however, we found it MUCH more dignified to call you a troll for daring to point out that our awesome factoid was incorrect.

Beyond that, I encourage people to see my perspective on this. I'm actually in the top 50-60% as far as my views on gay relations in this country and am VERY open to compromise on the matter.

You can see red all you want because I don't truly believe that straight and gay marriage are the same thing and the law shouldn't be written to claim it that way. Fact of the matter is that I am WAY more open to compromise on this matter than most others.

Oh, and on a side note? Just because Canada does it, doesn't necessarily mean that the whole world should follow suit. Much as it pains you to hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies