Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh heck NO.

There are many people whose lives are not as valuable as a barnacle, let alone an Orca.

First example that comes to mind is the guy who just threw his 3-month-old daughter off a bridge into the Raritan River here in Jersey because he was mad at the mother.

As a matter of fact, I think it would be quite fitting to give him to this Orca for a toy.

Gotta agree with ya on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:24 PM

527 posts, read 467,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
That whale should be hacked up and served for dinner. Poor girl......
No, the whale should just be set free in the ocean to do what it is supposed to do-

Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM

938 posts, read 1,229,931 times
Shamu: That's it! I can't take this anymore!!!..YOU!...you mean ol' trainer you..come here!!! aRRRRGGHGGH!
Trainer: OH NO!!! Gulp!
Shamu: Now let us outta here or more will die!!!!!...MORE I TELL YOU!!!!!
Free Willie: You tell em Sham!!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I hope they don't. It's so ridiculous that humans punish animals thinking that'll show the other animals it committed a crime.

It should be released into the wild.
...after how many decades in captivity? You sure you want to kill him slowly like that?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
No, the whale should just be set free in the ocean to do what it is supposed to do-
You can't just toss them back in the sea after they have been in captivity for years and years. This whale was 30 years old. I don't know how long he has been in captivity.

They need to basically "relearn" all their natural instincts, like hunting.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:39 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,519 times
I don't like zoos or exhibits like this because I'm totally against forcing animals to live in cages. How you YOU like to be locked up for the rest of your life in a cage?

On the other hand, I feel really, really bad for the trainer and her family.

Just sad all the way around. Tragic.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 PM

202 posts, read 484,249 times
I dont feel the whale should be killed. And I dont understand the mindset of those who do. This was not the whale's choice to live the life he has lived as an entertaiment source. Humans made that decision for him.

Anyone..anyone..who does work with a wild animal has to know that there are certain risks involved with it. This is just the way it is. You either accept these risks, and deal with the consequences, or you dont do the job. Blaming a wild animal for something like this just is not fair. And putting it down because it was being what it was meant to be ( a wild, unpredictable animal) is wrong.

He can't be released, because i'm not sure he would have the skills to survive on his own after being in captivity for so long. Seaworld is responsible for this whale. They should not be allowed to just toss him aside now.

And I doubt they will. After watching a couple of different news segments and interviews of a couple of people "in the know" about the business, apparently this whale is worth millions of dollars. He is Seaworld's main breeding "stud". The general thought was that Seaworld would never destroy this whale, as he is too valuable to them.
And they shouldn't. He is their responsiblity, and they made his life what it is.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There has actually never been a reported case of a killer whale actually killing a human being in the wild. All the reported deaths due to killer whales have been the result of whales in captivity. For one thing, killer whales don't frequent areas close to shore like sharks do... People aren't swimming in the middle of Puget Sound where orcas are. And there isn't any proof that an orca would find it neccesary to hunt a human swimmer to begin with...

There is no evidence to suggest that a released orca would somehow stalk human beings and drag them to their death---this is more along the lines of the plot of a bad horror film. Kind of like Jaws IV: the Revenge...

FOXNews.com - Killer Whales Don't Kill People in the Wild
I've seen video of killer whales going right up onto the beach to grab a seal & eat it. They are much closer than you think. My opinion is that this orca just got fed up with trainers making them do endless tricks. Elephants do the same thing and go on a rampage in circuses by stepping on top of the trainers. They'd had enough and aren't going to take it anymore

Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
How horrible...allegedly killed the trainer by biting them in the torso and tossing them around...happened in front of fans...wow...
that how they kill seals in nature we are nothing to a whale but you take risk when you work with something like that but they don't attack humans very often

Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecountry1 View Post
I dont feel the whale should be killed. And I dont understand the mindset of those who do. This was not the whale's choice to live the life he has lived as an entertaiment source. Humans made that decision for him.

Anyone..anyone..who does work with a wild animal has to know that there are certain risks involved with it. This is just the way it is. You either accept these risks, and deal with the consequences, or you dont do the job. Blaming a wild animal for something like this just is not fair. And putting it down because it was being what it was meant to be ( a wild, unpredictable animal) is wrong.

He can't be released, because i'm not sure he would have the skills to survive on his own after being in captivity for so long. Seaworld is responsible for this whale. They should not be allowed to just toss him aside now.

And I doubt they will. After watching a couple of different news segments and interviews of a couple of people "in the know" about the business, apparently this whale is worth millions of dollars. He is Seaworld's main breeding "stud". The general thought was that Seaworld would never destroy this whale, as he is too valuable to them.
And they shouldn't. He is their responsiblity, and they made his life what it is.

And therein lies the bigger picture. What are they breeding them for? For sale on the water amusement parks. It can't be for research. How many 6 ton killer whales do you need to study. Killer whales are unique in the wild in that they don't cast out members of their pod. Their offspring live with them sometimes for life. Sometimes a portion of a pod will divide and form a new one. None of the whales that are bred are ever released into the wild. Orcas on their own don't survive. They need a social group and a hunting pack that works as a team to eat.

My opinion is they should stop breeding them immediately. End these vanity watershows and find a good sized fjord to net off and let them live in peace until they die naturally. We as humans made a mistake in trying to keep them in the first place. It's time we make the best of a bad situation and do the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies