Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The word "homophobic" is used to describe feelings of contempt toward homosexuals or homosexuality. You can get angry about the use of the word, but it is what it is. I don't think it's going away.
There really should be another word to describe disgust at the immoral, deviant behavior of homosexuals. "Homophobia" means fear of homosexuals. Most people opposed to homosexual behavior do not fear it; they are repelled by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 05:12 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,889 times
peccatum illud horrible, inter christianos non nominandum.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There really should be another word to describe disgust at the immoral, deviant behavior of homosexuals. "Homophobia" means fear of homosexuals. Most people opposed to homosexual behavior do not fear it; they are repelled by it.

That is exactly what it is, people are repelled by it as they should be. I have noticed time and time again that even gays must think being gay is so horrible that they will try to insult or attack someone by accusing them of being gay. I think we should take their word for it.

Most of them are very hetrophobic anyway. They have a fear of normal relationships and the fact that the same sex together can never have a family in the normal way. They go counter to nature.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
I think what it is is that gay people get pretty tired of the constant offensive words towards them, laws being made or not made to prohibit them from having a marriage like you can enjoy, people giving you looks of disgust or murmuring about you, family members disowning you because of your sexuality. You know, the type of things that people like you probably don't ever even have to question or worry about. I think it tends to get on their nerves after awhile.
Homosexuality is not natural, it's disgusting, perverted and wrong.

Why should I even want to deal with it?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:16 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That would be like saying that when blacks wanted equal rights in the 60s to say that they shouldn't have talked about it.
I understand how you feel.

but, again, IMHO.... I don't think that most people see it as a "civil rights" issue.

So, I guess the question is, is what you're doing working for you or against you?

please keep in mind that I'm not the enemy here....

Old 02-27-2010, 07:41 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Default “Opposition always enflames the enthusiast, never converts him.â€

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Half the time, the threads about homosexuality are started by people who are anti-gay and want to rant about it. Plus, this is a discussion forum titled "Politics and Other Controversies". You should expect people to talk and argue about controversial topics.

I've known LOTS of gay people in my life. The ones who "constantly" talk about being gay and homophobia are rare. You must not know many gay people very well.

And although sexuality may be a private matter to you, consider that not everyone agrees with you about that. In fact, in order for there to be any progress on gay rights, it HAS to be talked about. Nobody's mind changes if the subject is never discussed. Ignorance is not the answer.
I love it when people tell me that 'I must not know many gay people very well'....

Back in the day, all through high school, my very best friend was a gay guy. I could tell you stories of some of the wild things we did together.
My grade school "boyfriend" turned out to be gay. (Both of them died in their 20's of AIDS).

Most of my working life, I've worked in industries that are known for predominately gay populations..
When I lived in the city in the apartment building that I mentioned in another post, I became close friends with my neighbor across the hall. I also got to know his friends.
In my life, I've visited gay bars on more than one occasion with some gay friends. I've seen drag queen shows...

True. I'm not gay. But, how well does someone need to get to know gays to be qualified to comment on this subject???

To restate my point....

By "constantly talking about being gay", I'm talking about all of the threads and the constant discussions about "homophobia"....

If people are going to constantly talk about a subject that most people consider taboo,... they should expect opposition.

I don't expect you to listen to me. That is why I hesitated to post in this thread.
Just keep in mind that I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental. I'm just trying to make a point.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-27-2010 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-27-2010, 08:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.
In my opinion, people who call hundreds of millions of other people they have never even met, immoral, deviant and disgusting are....well...immoral, deviant and disgusting in my books.
I feel repelled by their behaviour.

God's poster boy Abraham would be considered immoral, deviant and disgusting by 21st century standards. Afterall, he had an incestuous marriage with his half-sister Sarah, got her pregnant when he was 99 (she was 90), had sex with Sarah's slavewoman Hagar and got her pregnant, kept a bunch of concubines who also had his children, then was just about to slit the throat of his son Isaac....

This fellow would be doing some serious time in a State Penitentiary and be condemned by society if he behaved that way in the 21st century.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is with the new trend of homophobic bigots not wanting to admit to being hateful, prejudiced, or intolerant of homosexuals? I'm really baffled. You can tell by their behavior that they are prejudiced and hateful yet they will never admit it or discuss it. In fact they use the excuse that "a lot of their friends and co-workers are gay."

Gay sounds like the new black . Remember the old saying "A lot of my friends are black". Suuuuure they are.

Any "homophobia trend" is simply a response to a more aggressive gay agenda. I think if they gays just shut up and quietly carried on their lives, no one would care. However, when one constantly places a minority agenda in the faces of the public, one can and should expect a response. I have nothing against gays; I just get sick of gays constantly bringing up thier "agenda", as I find it irritating. If anything, I think that the aggressive presentation of the 'gay agenda" creates more problems for gays than good, as it moves those ambivilent about the whole issue to being more anti-gay.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It is completely ignorant to think people have a phobia if they do not like or agree with something.
That is true.

Quote:
Homosexuality is an abnormal relationship.
"Abnormal" is technically true, although it often carries negative connotations, which is what I think bothers some people.

Quote:
that the world has rejected forever
That is not true across the board, although in general and esp in more modern times that has tended to be true...although in very recent history, attitudes are shifting much more to tolerance, esp in this country. That's why the whole "homophobia trend" thing annoys the heck out of many of us. It's BS. The trend is very much in the other direction.

Quote:
So what if you get a few converts to accept it because of propaganda and indoctrination. It is nothing ore than a sexual perversion. No more, no less.
I suspect extremely few people convert because of "propaganda," but society I'm sure in some cases can and does play a role. Again it is not so simple as everyone who is gay is so because _________ (fill in blank w/whatever reason is alleged).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That would be like saying that when blacks wanted equal rights in the 60s to say that they shouldn't have talked about it.
No, it wouldn't be like that at all. Gays HAVE the same rights as non-gays, with the only possible exception being the whole marriage thing (which is debatable and another topic in itself anyway). It's not like gays can't use the same bathrooms or anything.

Quote:
The perversion and ignorance is people thinking that it's a choice and that it's really a big deal politically. And the only propoganda is by those against it because their reasons come from hate and lies.
Pot meet kettle. Yeah there's no propoganda for it. I guess I just imagined gay pride marches and gay pride week (etc). PS if you don't think it's a big deal politically, I presume you don't live in America, where gay marriages have been a very big political issue lately.

Quote:
Allowing gay marriage wont make you gay, it wont force you to accept gays, it wont change the amount of interaction you have with gays.
But to many it will pervert the definition of marriage. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just pointing out that many people against gay marriage aren't "homophobes." Again disagreement does not equal hate.

Quote:
Anyone against gay marriage needs to think about those things. In short, the only reason to be against gay marriage is if you hate gays and are afraid.
Yeah that's the ticket.

Yknow what, I didn't vote for Obama, but it couldn't be that I simply disagree w/his policies or viewpoints or don't care for him as a person - I must be a racist and hate all Democrats!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:44 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Homosexuality is not natural, it's disgusting, perverted and wrong.

Why should I even want to deal with it?
In fairness, this is the kind of pathetic gibberish the others were talking about. Sorry, but being homosexual does not equate to being immoral, deviant, ad nauseum. That should be so easy even a caveman can understand it. But hey enjoy your ivory tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies