Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 AM

8,797 posts, read 6,068,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Do you realise that why you are actually saying is: "I, for one, have no problem with gay people. I just have a problem with their being gay."

Your statement doesn't really make sense if you understand what sexual orientation is. It just comes across as "I have a problem with gay people"

A gay person's "gayness" is an inherent part of who they are, just as a straight person's "straightness" is an inherent part of who they are.

I dislike the slogan (it's not Biblical by the way) "Love the sinner, hate the sin" when it is used to condemn gay people, because it implies that homosexuality is just some sort of chosen behaviour. There aren't any verses in the Bible that state that homosexual orientation is a sin. (in the original Hebrew or Greek and the original contexts)

Your assertion about me is untrue. I have no problem with gay people. I do not agree with them being gay, I feel it is a choice, so no, it is not "who they are."

I know the slogan is not biblical, and if you noticed, I said "dislike" instead of "hate" b/c God does not hate anyone, which tells me 100% that the original phrase did not originate in the Bible.

Let me explain something. When I found God about a year ago, I gradually changed my views to what they are now due to His influence. I was a bleeding heart liberal even just 1.5 years ago. The LAST thing that I changed about my views was in regard to homosexuality. I searched high and low in the Bible to find what God has to say about being gay. I really struggled with it. After all that searching, I finally realized that while it does not explicitly say that being gay is wrong, it is implied in so many ways. The Bible does not tell us word for word what we need to know, a lot of it comes from reading sections at a time and listening to what the Holy Spirit is telling you at any given time. I would argue that the two biggest indications that homosexuality is wrong include Sodom and Gomorrah and everything the Bible has to say about marriage (which is between a man and a woman).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Wow.

Some quotes come to mind after wading through this post.

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” - Mahatma Gandhi

"You can safely assume that you have created God in your own image when it turns out God hates the same people you do" - Anne Lamot.

“No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means.” -George Bernard Shaw

"If any one says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

"For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Galatians 5:14)
You're forgetting something: I hate NO ONE. God hates NO ONE. I discriminate against NO ONE. I just don't believe that the marriage of two men or two women is equal to the marriage of a heterosexual couple. If God wanted homosexuality to go on, he would have allowed them to procreate. Nobody has addressed this as of yet, but I have said it several times, as have other posters.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Source?

For that matter when exactly do you think the "dawn of man" was?

What do the ancient Hebrew stories of Sodom and Gomorrah have to do with gay people?

Absolutely nothing.

The moral of the story was about inhospitality and the terrible treatment of strangers. Ask the Jews, it's their story.
JewishEncyclopedia.com - HOSPITALITY.

Are you familiar with the part of the story about Lot offering up his two young virgin daughters to be gang raped? Then later, these two daughters having sex with Lot?
And Lot was considered a "righteous" man, favored by the Lord.
Okay, S&G is the first time in the Bible that men having sex with other men is mentioned. God destroyed those cities. What does that tell you?

The dawn of man occurred with Adam and Eve. They were straight.

Therefore, straightness was pleasing to God and began at the beginning of time. Gayness was not pleasing to God so he destroyed the people who were committed the sodomy.

Spin it how you want, that's how it happened.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:04 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,576,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Actually I'm amused when I see the angry and militant gays on CD so quick to throw labels and stereotypes on any one who dare disagree with them.

Maybe we heteros need special hate crime legislation to protect us against the likes of you

I agree!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 AM

344 posts, read 460,229 times
Homophobia doesn't exist. Homo = human in Latin, phobia = fear in Latin, so homophobia means fear of humans in Latin, and it doesn't exist, if an actual homophobe existed, he/she would have to live in the mountains, the jungle or some place like that, since they couldn't be around other humans. Hating gays is not homophobia, homophobia is just a label created by the gay-liberal lobby to try to undermine anybody who speaks out againt their disgusting sickness and destruction of western society, but it's all in vane for them, in a few decades the World will go back to normal and they won't be allowed to bother normal people anymore.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,046,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I will tell it like it is. I have been in the Military for the last 12 years, and work with a bunch of macho type Military guys on base. We have talked about this and the DADT issue a bunch lately. Most of us (straight males) think the "homophobia" term is off base. Most of us do not fear gay people, just find it disgusting/wrong. Call me biggoted or whatever, I do not care. You asked for a truthful response, and I am giving it! Most straight males find gay sex acts disgusting! But on a similar note find lesbian sex acts erotic, go figure! Do they find most Gay men disgusting? Probably not. Most of the gay community does not like to admit that in the eyes of God, they are living a lifestyle of sin. Since most of the Country claims to be Christian, it seems to me like they should realize that a gay lifestyle is a sinful lifestyle. Call me crazy, but the disgust thing, and Christian aspect are both big reasons for our "homophobia". I spoke my mind. Let the name calling commence!
I don't believe in your God. I don't believe in what you call sin. I find the sex you have disgusting! Perhaps you should be banned from the military instead of me?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:19 PM

28,396 posts, read 16,248,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
...I would argue that the two biggest indications that homosexuality is wrong include Sodom and Gomorrah and everything the Bible has to say about marriage (which is between a man and a woman).

And, to your mind, it is not at all possible that the things the Bible focuses on were simply a reflection of the local culture of the particular author in that place and time?

I'll not even delve into other faiths besides Christianity (or the lack of any religious faith)...

Old 12-18-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Okay, S&G is the first time in the Bible that men having sex with other men is mentioned. God destroyed those cities. What does that tell you?

The dawn of man occurred with Adam and Eve. They were straight.

Therefore, straightness was pleasing to God and began at the beginning of time. Gayness was not pleasing to God so he destroyed the people who were committed the sodomy.

Spin it how you want, that's how it happened.

That's a GIANT assumption, especially the bolded part, but you knew that already. Right?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:25 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,693,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
And, to your mind, it is not at all possible that the things the Bible focuses on were simply a reflection of the local culture of the particular author in that place and time?

I'll not even delve into other faiths besides Christianity (or the lack of any religious faith)...
Hooligan, you obviously don't know the bible.
gay affairs? I'll take your word for it.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Nope, I don't know the Bible. I'm not naive enough to believe that ANY book written by man is completely devoid of bias or cultural slant, however. No matter how pious or divinely inspired a person is, we all have our opinions. Not to mention the possibility of purposely skewing the writings toward your intended audience (see the Christian adoption of the winter solstice celebration as the same time of year for "Christmas"). It's smart, and I don't begrudge Christians for doing it. Making the transition as easy as possible leads to more converts to your new religion. Like I said, smart.

I don't remember mentioning any "gay affairs", however?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies