Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,158,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
no incumbent will get my vote...I know that much

they wont get my vote either, will be voting 3rd party this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:15 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,058,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I would rather nothing getting done, than to pass an unconstitutional health care bill.

after all, the general welfare clause in our Constitution says "promote", not "provide".
Well aren't the Republicans supposed to have all of these great ideas that they claim are not being heard? Here's their chance. Now they can voice all of their brilliant bi-partisan gems.

BTW..what does the word "promote" translate to, according to your definition?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:15 AM

527 posts, read 466,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Specialrequest, feel free to acknowledge your error at any time.
I don't feel I was in error- as I said above, I didn't say that they got money and the Democrats didn't-or that they got more than the Democrats,just that they got it- which I am sure some did-I wouldn't doubt the Democrats have recieved more RECENTLY as stated in the post in reply to mine-they are the majority party right now-I bet the Republicans got more when they were the majority-money goes to power-Congress is run by money, either in deals made so Congress can bring home pork barrel money,corporate contributions to politicians- lobbying-

Are you saying that Republicans are scott free on recieving any money- the post in reply to mine says Democrats received MORE than Republicans, it's not saying Republicans received none-surely the fact that I picked on the Republicans to mock over the Democrats is my right in this amusing but pointless argument between the right and left over issues. If you really read a lot of the posts made here by either left leaning or right leaning members all through these threads you can just substitute either Republican or Democrat in place of which ever was used by the poster and the post usually still holds true-

Old 02-25-2010, 09:17 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,959,294 times
BTW...this whole country is welfare...the Wallstreet bailouts, the Automobile bailouts, the home loan bailouts were nothing more than white collar welfare. Fat cat institutions that couldnt cut the mustard or make wise decisions and who all had their hands out when it was time for them to bear the brunt of their profligate spending.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,681,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
You know your post would definately have merit if your recognize that NONE of them are acting in a bi-partisan way, NONE. Your post would also have merit if you recognize that both sides are acting like children and need to grow up. Your post would have merit if you recognized that NEITHER side realize that there are two sides to the story.
For anyone on the Right or Left to honestly believe that those IDIOTS in Washington want to work together your really delusional.
Since Obama took office, the democrats have been running around DC like they were king of the castle. The checks and balances systems installed to provide for compromise between different ideologies has taken a back seat to the agenda of the left.

NOW, that the right has some pull, and they are using that pull to ensure that their is true bi-partisanship, and that their opinions are provided the same validity as the agendas of the left... they are being partisan?

Seriously?

The left STILL doesn't get it. Its apparent in the attempts to seat the republicans as an "audience" to the debate.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
The ones who believe our problems are pinned on one party or the other are the problem themselves.
Now suddenly, this thread is about general problems? The only problem being discussed here is the outlined in the OP.

Lets not divert the discussion off to generality non-sense about people who are partisan. I am calling out a partisan act on the President only weeks after his comitment to bi-partisanship in his SOTU address.

That is the problem. That is what was called out. That was an action of the left which I pointed out. Don't try to deflect into some general conversation about who is the problem because you don't want to defend the actions of this partisan president.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,521,526 times
Quote:
Since Obama took office, the democrats have been running around DC like they were king of the castle. The checks and balances systems installed to provide for compromise between different ideologies has taken a back seat to the agenda of the left.

NOW, that the right has some pull, and they are using that pull to ensure that their is true bi-partisanship, and that their opinions are provided the same validity as the agendas of the left... they are being partisan?

Seriously?

The left STILL doesn't get it. Its apparent in the attempts to seat the republicans as an "audience" to the debate.

You just refuse to get it or accept the fact that NEITHER side are blameless. You have the Democrats acting like kids in raiding the candy store and the Republicans acting like the kids in the background throwing rocks. Do you NOT get that Both sides have an agenda and that agenda does NOT include working together to get the job done.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,959,294 times
One other thing: its not about Obama lacking the leadership to do anything...I didnt vote for the guy, but he's competent to get the job done...the problem is politicians who have the interests of private investors in their back pockets..

both dems and republicans...Obama's problem is that he needs to be more of a maverick, so to speak...If he wants to get something done, he needs to go ahead and do it, and quit pining for the approval of republicans and fellow dems...it worked for the last guy.

I dont even have a problem with universal healthcare...the congressmen are sitting there bellowing about how wealthier taxpayers shouldnt have to provide healthcare for everyone else, when the congressmen themselves already rely on those same taxpayer dollars for their own healthcare ...

nothing but a bunch of hypocritical ideologues with no conviction whatsoever. And I dont see why we cant still have insurance across state lines, even with universal healthcare...people could still choose to go pay for insurance from a private insurance provider if they wanted to do so....I fail to see how universal healthcare would do anything other than remove the collective monopoly that private providers currently have on the marketshare.

I dont see how anyone could refute that having a reasonably low or free price for consumers to reference for their healthcare, could be a bad concept. Without a low price point for consumers to reference, the private insurers will always simply collude to jack premiums through the roof, while only offering a dollar's difference between the various plans, under the guise of "free market competition".

I support some form of universal healthcare...but I dont think that should be this govt.'s main priority right now, and I dont support all of the things in this current proposed legislation.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
You just refuse to get it or accept the fact that NEITHER side are blameless.
Show me a thread where the right was being partisan and I will slam them too.

That isn't this thread. This thread is about what the left did in regard to how this summit was to be held. It was apparent that it wasn't bi-partisan.

You can go off on a tanget about how both sides are to blame all you want. That doesn't change the fact that THIS thread is about the actions of the left.

Please don't deflect.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,521,526 times
Quote:
Show me a thread where the right was being partisan and I will slam them too.

That isn't this thread. This thread is about what the left did in regard to how this summit was to be held. It was apparent that it wasn't bi-partisan.

You can go off on a tanget about how both sides are to blame all you want. That doesn't change the fact that THIS thread is about the actions of the left.

Please don't deflect.

NO actually, the title of this thread was concerning the Republicans complaining about the seating arrangement, you've included yourself into the typical partisan discussion. Maybe you should check out the title of the thread and try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies