Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Katiana, I made an assumption that my experience can be carried over to every other family's situation. I made a mistake suggesting that it is possible in every situation to save money. Let me be clear that I do not think people should have their savings wiped out by a medical procedure.

I don't think I was airing dirty laundry about my family. It was pretty obvious that we were wearing things we could not really afford and we did not do it in the privacy of our home. BTW - is that the first time you mentioned your personal information? I am not here to troll even if my POV is different from yours so I don't expect you to share your information.

I also chose to pay the ophthalmologist through my insurance because that money would have been counted towards my deductible.

Just know that because I don't agree with your POV doesn't mean I watch FOX (I still don't have cable), and I don't expect people to dig out of their hole by themselves. It is quite obvious that you think I am angry but I am not. I make a suggestion which happens all the time, it might be tactless, uninformed but I am open to discussion and different POVs. Otherwise, how would you know where I stand and what concerns me?

I believe I know what concerns you and I just made an assumption that cutting out the cable bill would fix it for you.
When did I say I had a problem at all? DH and I have insurance through his employer, and it's pretty good.

I have no trouble making my expenses. It wasn't always that way, and now I'm seeing my kids go through the same "beginning of adulthood" experiences. I'm just saying, a single person can't save their whole income like you did when you were married and working. A single person who graduated from school with a lot of debt isn't smart to get an HSA plan like yours. Even with what you have, you make decisions that are prudent for you, like counting the opthamologist payment towards your deductible. Everyone does what's best for themselves, to the extent they can.

You may not have cable, but I'd guess you have internet and a computer, unless you are posting from a public library. Everyone makes some choices about what luxuries they allow themselves too. I doubt you have dial-up, either.

As far as my family details, I've talked about some of them. I won't say anything disrespectful about any of my family members on the web, though. "If you dig under the family tree, you're bound to get some dirt" and "If you shake the family tree, you're bound to get some nuts".

ETA: I don't have cable.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-16-2010 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When did I say I had a problem at all? DH and I have insurance through his employer, and it's pretty good.

I have no trouble making my expenses. It wasn't always that way, and now I'm seeing my kids go through the same "beginning of adulthood" experiences. I'm just saying, a single person can't save their whole income like you did when you were married and working. A single person who graduated from school with a lot of debt isn't smart to get an HSA plan like yours. Even with what you have, you make decisions that are prudent for you, like counting the opthamologist payment towards your deductible. Everyone does what's best for themselves, to the extent they can.

You may not have cable, but I'd guess you have internet and a computer, unless you are posting from a public library. Everyone makes some choices about what luxuries they allow themselves too. I doubt you have dial-up, either.

As far as my family details, I've talked about some of them. I won't say anything disrespectful about any of my family members on the web, though. "If you dig under the family tree, you're bound to get some dirt" and "If you shake the family tree, you're bound to get some nuts".

ETA: I don't have cable.
That single person should have thought a bit more about taking on all that debt. That was their choice and now they have to deal with it.
Not every student chooses to take on lots of debt.

I have 2 nieces..one took on all this debt for school ($90K) and is struggling like no tomorrow even with a job in her field as starting pay is pretty low.
The other opted for CC and then state U and has no debt..she worked and went part time. It took longer but she is debt free starting out.

Now which of the two are in a better position going forward ?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times
Katiana, I think it is easy to make assumptions especially about people on the internet. Part of that is my problem to communicate what I feel and also because, well, family history is boring. But you made a lot of assumptions about me and I about you.

I think I never posted on the Politics folder before. I have read in it and it was easy to just agree with talking points. Posting was different mainly because you actually responded to my thoughts (you people with the high rep points tend to overlook us .) Before going any further with you I took a step back to see what it was I was really taking a stand for.

I think the issue I have is that people are saving very little. For example, people avoid health care because of the high deductible in HD plans.No, I did not have a wad of cash upon graduation LOL! My husband and I said, what do we need to do to feel *secure* and one of the things was to have money saved. So maybe I need to look at personal savings and health care separately.

Another issue I have is that I was raised to not accept handouts from the government. Right now, I pay for health care so that is in line with my upbringing. Suddenly not paying seems strange to me. Maybe I can get used to just walking into the doctor's office and not paying. Kids are sent to public school without checks.

As far as being disrespectful to my family, disrespect goes both ways. I will leave comments about my family out, but I get the feeling that the picture I painted supported republican talking points that poor people are not being responsible with their money. So I don't want to generalize about all poor people just on my experience.

Best, Crisan

Last edited by crisan; 03-16-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
There are certain things in our current system that I feel absolutely must be fixed. Not a whole overhaul of everything, but certain inadequacies that exist - reading jmking's post brought to mind the failure of government to take care of our seniors. Once you hit that age, you are automatically pushed into Medicare, and you have no say about it. Now don't you think that if the government forces you into Medicare, that they would make sure you have broad health coverage through it (even if you have to pay some higher co-pays)? People on Medicare cannot get any other plan. All supplemental plans are tied into Medicare (and they are very expensive).

A government plan should not have exclusions of any kind, yet it does. If we use that as an example of how the government "takes care" of our healthcare needs, then watch out if this plan passes. They could have done away with the Medicare exclusions a long time ago (just as they could have tackled the fraud), but they didn't do it. Now they're saying they will do it. Don't count on it. When one hand of the government gives us something, there's the other hand taking away something else in exchange.
You maybe on to something, southward bound. However, we are not quite seniors yet. My wife is 51 who is totally disabled from this terrible desease. We've been struggling to get her on medicare for 3 years because she paid into the system for 30. The problem is no one in the mean time will cover her.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That single person should have thought a bit more about taking on all that debt. That was their choice and now they have to deal with it.
Not every student chooses to take on lots of debt.

I have 2 nieces..one took on all this debt for school ($90K) and is struggling like no tomorrow even with a job in her field as starting pay is pretty low.
The other opted for CC and then state U and has no debt..she worked and went part time. It took longer but she is debt free starting out.

Now which of the two are in a better position going forward ?
"That single person" is my daughter. She wanted to be a physical therapist. The only way to do that was to borrow ~$30K a year for three years to go to the University of Colorado, where she was an in-state student. There is no part time program for PT, either. The only way to "choose" not to take on that debt was to not go through that program or any other PT program. It really annoys me that some people think they have all the answers to someone else's situation. Do you think "that single person" shouldn't have gone to school to learn a profession? Do you think she'd be much better off working at McDonald's?

I'm not even arguing that it's a bad thing, to have all that debt. I was just saying that she is not a candidate, right now, for a high deductible insurance policy.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
"That single person" is my daughter. She wanted to be a physical therapist. The only way to do that was to borrow ~$30K a year for three years to go to the University of Colorado, where she was an in-state student. There is no part time program for PT, either. The only way to "choose" not to take on that debt was to not go through that program or any other PT program. It really annoys me that some people think they have all the answers to someone else's situation. Do you think "that single person" shouldn't have gone to school to learn a profession? Do you think she'd be much better off working at McDonald's?

I'm not even arguing that it's a bad thing, to have all that debt. I was just saying that she is not a candidate, right now, for a high deductible insurance policy.
Wow..small world. My niece with the high debt also went for physical therapy.

Under Obamacare though she would be subsidized. But would still have some deductible.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:15 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:

Under Obamacare though she would be subsidized. But would still have some deductible.
Small world alright, my wife is in physical therapy.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Katiana, I think it is easy to make assumptions especially about people on the internet. Part of that is my problem to communicate what I feel and also because, well, family history is boring. But you made a lot of assumptions about me and I about you.

I think I never posted on the Politics folder before. I have read in it and it was easy to just agree with talking points. Posting was different mainly because you actually responded to my thoughts (you people with the high rep points tend to overlook us .) Before going any further with you I took a step back to see what it was I was really taking a stand for.

I think the issue I have is that people are saving very little. For example, people avoid health care because of the high deductible in HD plans.No, I did not have a wad of cash upon graduation LOL! My husband and I said, what do we need to do to feel *secure* and one of the things was to have money saved. So maybe I need to look at personal savings and health care separately.

Another issue I have is that I was raised to not accept handouts from the government. Right now, I pay for health care so that is in line with my upbringing. Suddenly not paying seems strange to me. Maybe I can get used to just walking into the doctor's office and not paying. Kids are sent to public school without checks.

As far as being disrespectful to my family, disrespect goes both ways. I will leave comments about my family out, but I get the feeling that the picture I painted supported republican talking points that poor people are not being responsible with their money. So I don't want to generalize about all poor people just on my experience.

Best, Crisan
I do not overlook people with high rep points. I have no idea how much rep you have, nor do I care. Do not ever think you are inferior, especially on this board, b/c you have a lower rep than someone else.

It's true the US has long had a low savings rate. Yesterday I heard a story on NPR that said 1/3 (?) of people have only $1000 in savings. I had more than that when I was a brand-new young nurse, yes, supporting myself. But that is a separate issue from health care. When someone, or a couple, get to the point in their lives when they can afford to have a high-ded plan, I think it's great if they want to do that. You end up spending the money no matter what, either on higher premiums or out of pocket. You seem to be making good decisions for your family. I think you should get cable. (That is a joke!)

Not all poor people are making bad decisions or are irresponsible. Some just are in a bad situation. Most want the same thing you do, to do what is best for their families.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:

I didn't know Obama was proposing to subsidize PT education. Some of my DD's loans will be forgiven b/c she is working for a non-profit hospital. She's just starting out now. Eventually she will be earning more money, and the loan payment will not be such a high percentage of her income.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't know Obama was proposing to subsidize PT education. Some of my DD's loans will be forgiven b/c she is working for a non-profit hospital. She's just starting out now. Eventually she will be earning more money, and the loan payment will not be such a high percentage of her income.
No, her healthcare would be subsidized. More than likely she'd fall into a subsidized income category. But she would still have a deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies