Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Alliance for Natural Health - USA

If true, this could be the next generation of government intervention into what you ingest. John McCain = RINO. This is just all one big cluster**** on your rights to control your own health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Guess this doesn't affect anyone here because no one buys things like Omega-3 or Calcium supplements.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
I buy several different nutritional supplements and would welcome some government oversight into this out-of-control industry. One of the largest lobbies on Capitol Hill is the supplement industry. They can put anything they want into our capsules and tablets without any interference from the FDA.

Why wouldn't you want to know that what you think you're taking is actually what you're taking? If you truly care about your health then why are you so willing to trust profiteers who are so lacking in ethics that they sell placebo pills at high prices, claiming that they'll make your unit bigger or cure baldness or lower cholesterol? I'm not a big fan of McCain but I welcome this move towards confronting a massive and corrupt industry that bilks a gullible public out of billions for products that may or may not be what they claim to be.

In anticipation of your response, I agree that consumers should do some research and find trustworthy brands before making their supplement purchases. But imagine adopting such a policy for prescription drugs --- people aren't motivated enough, smart enough, and wealthy enough to research everything they put in their bodies and make optimal decisions. I've occasionally purchased cheap brands that I know nothing about simply because I don't have the money to pay for a trusted brand. So I don't really know what I'm getting because there are no regulations on this wild-west industry.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Yup..we're too stupid to educate ourselves so government, as usual, will come to our rescue and save us from ourselves.

We deserve what we get.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:38 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I certainly love having pills that I can take that can consist of lawn clippings, without strict requirements of labeling what is actually in them. I know the private market has greatly benefited people in their strict requirements for supplements, along with the advertising. Just ask those who ingested hydroxicut how their livers are faring, or the consumer comments about the MLM Monavie businesses.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I certainly love having pills that I can take that can consist of lawn clippings, without strict requirements of labeling what is actually in them. I know the private market has greatly benefited people in their strict requirements for supplements, along with the advertising. Just ask those who ingested hydroxicut how their livers are faring, or the consumer comments about the MLM Monavie businesses.
Yep, just as the FDA really helped out to prevent e-coli in spinach. Of course, since the FDA was diligently watching over us, no one really needed to do their homework on where the spinach came from. Well, until people starting dying from it. Then I guess it mattered.

The same FDA that did wonders on Yaz, the patch, and countless other drugs. I guess women deserved what they got because the FDA gave these wonder drugs it's seal of approval, which is as good as gold.

Lest we forget there are already laws on the book against fraud. The courts enforce these laws. But, we shouldn't let those facts get in the way from hiring feel good paper pushers in our utopia.

Now, supplements can cost a lot more, and corporate interests can benefit from this barrier to entry just as they do all regulations, crowding out the little guys from selling alternative therapies. Of course, the poor can now be crowded out from buying fish oil and calcium and the pharma conglomerates can profit immensely from their conventional medications as a result of heart and bone deficiencies. But it'll be ok because drugs like all health care will be free soon enough, because of course big pharma will develop new drugs for no profit and a fixed salary for all the workers.

Happy happy joy joy. Gee, wasn't it libs who were condemning Bush for not allowing drugs to be bought from Canada (something I also supported)? Oh, I forgot.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
I wonder what Pharmaceutical company is greasing his palm.
The last frontier that Big Pharm hasn't gotten their hands on yet.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I wonder what Pharmaceutical company is greasing his palm.
The last frontier that Big Pharm hasn't gotten their hands on yet.
Oh they will..the propaganda is out there.

Create a problem so the government can come in and regulate to fix it for the benefit of all Americans.

Got to create a media blitz about a "crisis" that the government has an answer to.

That's all we get these days.

Best to buy a book and start growing your own supplements.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Conservative my butt.

Tell people if it hurts you or not, and then stop at that. Unless someone is forcing it down the throat of someone else, its none of the governments business.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM

It's amazing. Liberals are suddenly pro-corporation. It's like a rebirth in their movement. It's like...

CHANGE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies