Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,819 times

Advertisements

Part, if not most, of the arguments for either case is that none of it is spoken or argued from a standing of knowledge or study. It's argued from a point of what someone has been told.

Mr. Darwin summarized his work as "the great argument". Some of his 20 year research was taken from his own notes some of it from other's. Regardless, it is very well laid out and very hard to dispute. How can one argue against sea shells on mountain tops and whale bones in deserts? Divine intervention didn't place them there and they didn't get there in a mere 40,000 years thru natural causes.

Personally, I'd like to see Mr. Darwin's work(s) edited into simpler English. Not only was Mr. Darwin a gifted scientist (naturalist) but a gifted writer as well. His words can and are easily misunderstood by the less learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Part, if not most, of the arguments for either case is that none of it is spoken or argued from a standing of knowledge or study. It's argued from a point of what someone has been told.

Mr. Darwin summarized his work as "the great argument". Some of his 20 year research was taken from his own notes some of it from other's. Regardless, it is very well laid out and very hard to dispute. How can one argue against sea shells on mountain tops and whale bones in deserts? Divine intervention didn't place them there and they didn't get there in a mere 40,000 years thru natural causes.

Personally, I'd like to see Mr. Darwin's work(s) edited into simpler English. Not only was Mr. Darwin a gifted scientist (naturalist) but a gifted writer as well. His words can and are easily misunderstood by the less learned.
Every natural event is explained away by "Creationists".

Dinosaurs of Eden
Kids just naturally think that dinosaurs are cool. The Creationists have noticed this; and in defense of their belief that the universe was created c. 4004 BCE have responded with a slew of sophisticated and grossly mendacious books for children (including some pseudo-SF, feh!), which explains how all the trilobites and dinosaurs and Pleistocene megafauna lived alongside humans during biblical times, were present in the Garden of Eden, and had berths on Noah’s Ark.

Making Light: Dinosaurs of Eden

Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:

I'm currently studying 'On the Origin of Species' and it's a fairly difficult book to read. I have a stack of other books to help me decipher Darwin's work, and I'm really taking my time. My fiancee's mother got me an original copy (bound in the late 1800s) as a birthday present last year.

I have come to the conclusion that it is far easier to say 'god did it' instead of studying the ToE

Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm currently studying 'On the Origin of Species' and it's a fairly difficult book to read. I have a stack of other books to help me decipher Darwin's work, and I'm really taking my time. My fiancee's mother got me an original copy (bound in the late 1800s) as a birthday present last year.

I have come to the conclusion that it is far easier to say 'god did it' instead of studying the ToE
I'm 60 years old but still read and comprehend at a 12th grade level, somehow , but my trusty Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary was a big help and I learned more than a few words.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:05 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
How can one argue against sea shells on mountain tops...
I'll make a minor, but important correction.

The fossils are not on mountain tops, but in the rock itself. Such a phenomenon cannot be excused by a global flood.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'll make a minor, but important correction.

The fossils are not on mountain tops, but in the rock itself. Such a phenomenon cannot be excused by a global flood.
You're right, a simplification on my part but atop the mountain(s) none the less embedded in the rock.

A cataclysmic process that does not, cannot occur in the span of a mere 40K years.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The two main schools of thought in the US as to how the world began is Creationalism and Evolution. I have no issues with evolution being taught as a theory and if other points of views were presented so that the child can critically assess the arguments for and against and form their own independent judgment. In many districts, evolution is taught as a fact and no alternative points of views are offered so children are being spoonfed evolution and not allowed to critically evaluate and form their own opinions.
And we also teach that the earth is a sphere. Let students on their own time figure out why it has four corners.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,147 times
Creationism is nothing more than a "back door attempt" to get religion into public schools.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:45 PM

938 posts, read 1,230,267 times
If they can teach Chris Columbus in 2010, they can teach Creationism.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:55 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
If they can teach Chris Columbus in 2010, they can teach Creationism.
Yes, they can. In approrpiate classrooms. Colombus is approrpiate for history, Creationism is appropriate for religious studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies