Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:47 PM
zox

344 posts, read 478,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The two main schools of thought in the US as to how the world began is Creationalism and Evolution. I have no issues with evolution being taught as a theory and if other points of views were presented so that the child can critically assess the arguments for and against and form their own independent judgment. In many districts, evolution is taught as a fact and no alternative points of views are offered so children are being spoonfed evolution and not allowed to critically evaluate and form their own opinions.
I could understand simultaneously teaching other views alongside Evolution in grade school when a young person has yet to form their views on religion and how life emerged. However, Evolution is typically taught in high school after a person has most likely already been raised in a certain religious faith. Therefore, why would a school need to teach Creationism or another view alongside Evolution if that person already grew up in a particular faith? I'm Hindu and was already aware of my religion's concept of creation when I was taught the theory of Evolution. I didn't need Evolution to be taught alongside Hinduism. Therefore, why would a Christian need to hear about Adam and Eve again when he or she is learning about Evolution? The very people, the Evangelicals, who are protesting this issue have very little to be concerned because their children are well versed in Creationism by the time they learn about Evolution? They are already aware of what constitutes Creationism so why can't a classroom just teach Evolution alone in a Biology class? It's just not practical for a general biology class to simultaneously teach every religion's views on creation alongside Evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 04:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
There are absolute facts in science. Facts H20 is water is a fact.
Creationism should not be taught in public schools unless the local community approves it.
Evolutionary theory should be taught as a theory there is no absolute fact that man evolved from ape or any organism. Theory taught in science is part of science
I don't think "the community" should have that kind of say since a majority can make life unpleasant for the minority, which is practically a given when it comes to religious differences.

The community CAN organize their own means for teaching their children creationism. Maybe they can find a building somewhere where folks can go to learn. They can go once a week or so. Perhaps on Sunday when nobody is doing anything. If the community (and the families) do this then their kids will for sure know all abour creationism. And there would be no need to worry about it being taught in public schools. And those that don't believe it or believe something else entirely won't have to waste their time hearing about it. It's WIN WIN

Old 02-26-2010, 04:35 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Thumbs down Evolution/Creationism in school

No religious creation myths belong in any science class in any public high school.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Creationism should not be taught in public schools unless the local community approves it.
Evolutionary theory should be taught as a theory there is no absolute fact that man evolved from ape or any organism. Theory taught in science is part of science
Absolutely correct. Of course, you may be using the laymen term of 'theory' because scientific theory is NOT hypothesis as many may think.

Definition of Scientific Theory

Scientific theory is as close to fact as you can possibly get.

Of course, I don't think that creation should be taught period, unless it's outside of a scientific setting. Until ID/Creationism can stand up in a court of law (kitzmiller v Dover is a good start) it can stay in church where it belongs.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM

172 posts, read 298,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Absolutely correct. Of course, you may be using the laymen term of 'theory' because scientific theory is NOT hypothesis as many may think.

Definition of Scientific Theory

Scientific theory is as close to fact as you can possibly get.

Of course, I don't think that creation should be taught period, unless it's outside of a scientific setting. Until ID/Creationism can stand up in a court of law (kitzmiller v Dover is a good start) it can stay in church where it belongs.
He's not entirely correct. It is a fact that modern organisms evolved from older organisms. It has, and can be, observed. Evolution is a fact and a theory, just as gravity is a fact (things tend to fall downward) and a theory (Einstein's general theory of relativity).

The theory of evolution is used to explain the mechanisms involved in these changes.

Also, wjtwet, something being labeled as a "fact" does not denote absolute certainty.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM

571 posts, read 943,412 times
Why would you *want* your religious beliefs to be taught to kids in school? That's the fastest way to make it appear boring and out-dated to kids. How many kids get pumped up over evolution?

I mean, if I believed in something and it was a huge part of my lifestyle, I wouldn't want to have some skeptical teacher that may or may not believe the same thing I did taught to kids who either believe in it, believe in it and are bored/disrespectful, or kids who don't believe in it and will defame & laugh at my beliefs. And trust me, I'm a high schooler. Kids are either Richard Dawkins atheists, Pat Robertson evangelicals, or are simply disinterested and likely never will care. This will just serve to create disruptions and arguments and make everybody's faith/atheism/whatever look very, very bad. Americans already have so little tolerance for one another... why intensify this?

But then again, this is just like flag burning amendments: all to appeal to people who aren't exactly bad people or stupid people, but are very simple-minded and by-the-book.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalmhc View Post
He's not entirely correct. It is a fact that modern organisms evolved from older organisms. It has, and can be, observed. Evolution is a fact and a theory, just as gravity is a fact (things tend to fall downward) and a theory (Einstein's general theory of relativity).

The theory of evolution is used to explain the mechanisms involved in these changes.

Also, wjtwet, something being labeled as a "fact" does not denote absolute certainty.
I know, I figured I'd toss the poor guy a bone

Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
No, it's not. It is a definition.

A fact is a measurement of a specific event, like the temperature at midnight.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalmhc View Post
He's not entirely correct. It is a fact that modern organisms evolved from older organisms. It has, and can be, observed.
Really? Who has observed, for example, a wolf evolve into a dolphin? Or who has seen a dinosaur evolve into a bird?

Quote:
Evolution is a fact and a theory,
No it's not a fact, nor it is a theory. Evolution by natural selection is a theory.

Quote:
just as gravity is a fact
No, it's not. It is a principle. A specific apple falling to the ground is a fact. Gravity is a general explanation of the fact.

Quote:
There are other possible scientific explanations beside evolution by natural selection. It's just that our society is too stupid to entertain them.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Evolution over Creationism in public schools. Evolution is an undeniable science no matter what the religious think. If you want to learn Creationism, go to a RELIGIOUS school.
Evolution is not a science. Biology is a science, evolutionary biology is a science, but evolution is not a science.

If you can't get your terminology straight, why shouldn't people disregard you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies