Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Creationism is a CT attempt to trojan horse religion into state education. You shouldn't teach kids evolution in sunday school and you shouldnt teach kids creationism in schools.

Yep a poor attempt at that. Evolution goes against what the bible or Quran say. They are not quite compatible with each other unlike what some religion affiliated folks(who believe in evolution) like people to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The two main schools of thought in the US as to how the world began is Creationalism and Evolution. I have no issues with evolution being taught as a theory and if other points of views were presented so that the child can critically assess the arguments for and against and form their own independent judgment. In many districts, evolution is taught as a fact and no alternative points of views are offered so children are being spoonfed evolution and not allowed to critically evaluate and form their own opinions.
If creationism were to be taught in public schools, which version would you teach? Not all creationism is created equal as virtually every religion has its own creation story. Even if you were to teach it from the Christian Bible, would you go with young earth, gap, or old earth creationism? Outside the rural Southern United States, there are very few people who subscribe to the strict 6,000 year old earth creationism that creation advocates ultimately want taught as fact even if they do subscribe to some other form of creationism.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 PM

201 posts, read 235,726 times
Creationism should be put in context of fairy tales, such as Jack and the beanstalk or Rapunzel. Then it would be fun for young to read and perhaps color pictures of the tall tales included in the myth.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Default Reality Is Sometime Complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have come to the conclusion that it is far easier to say 'god did it' instead of studying the ToE
I came to the exact same conclusion when I took Calculus in College. This is too complicated, I'll just say it's magic that it works in Engineering!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:21 PM

Default Creationism not the same as Anthropology

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
Creationism, by definition, means to create. and if you are discussing creationism, you are discussing the 'history of mankind' and all the life on planet earth.

what do you not understand about that?
Anthropology is the study of the history of humanity. Creationism is the religious belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe were created in some form by a supernatural being or beings.

Anthropology is a science. Creationism is not.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Without evolution, nothing in biology makes sense. Evolution is the conerstone of all life sciences and is probably closer to a paradigm now than a scientific theory. If creationism is going to be taught in school then it should be taught in a bible class or one on mythology.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Really? Who has observed, for example, a wolf evolve into a dolphin? Or who has seen a dinosaur evolve into a bird?
There are other possible scientific explanations beside evolution by natural selection. It's just that our society is too stupid to entertain them.
First, evolution does not say a wolf will evolve into a dolphin. It says that far, far back in history, they have a common ancestor. Think of evolution as a tree. From Winkipedia, "A phylogenetic tree or evolutionary tree is a tree showing the evolutionary relationships among various biological species or other entities that are known to have a common ancestor. In a rooted phylogenetic tree, each node with descendants represents the most recent common ancestor of the descendants, and the edge lengths in some trees correspond to time estimates." So apes and humans evolved from a common ancestor--but humans did not evolve from today's ape."

All modern dogs are decendants of a wolf-like ancestor. Other decendants of the wolf are foxes, jackals, Bush Dog, the cape dog Lycaon and coyotes. They each evolved in a manner that was most successful (produced the most viable offspring that reproduced again) in their particular environment.

Second, there are no current competing scientific explanations that explain all the evidence we can see about the history of mankind and the earth (fossils, geology). There are a thousand religious beliefs, but they are not scientific. Science does not believe in Magic.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
That's where you lose people.

I could care less that the theory of evolution is taught in school. It's a scientific theory. It belongs in public school science classes.

Big bang theory, some stuff happened out in the cosmos....everything evolved from a big hot gas ball exploding. How so? How did some part of that big hot gas ball end up as a worm and another part end up as a dinosaur? Or a tree? Or a fish? Or a parasite? Wrong place, wrong time? Wrong dirt/dung pile?

Then we have the theory that all homo sapiens evolved from apes. But we still have apes...if humans evolved from apes, why are apes still running around picking lice off of each others backs? And where IS that missing link that is so elusive? Where's the unknown city of the missing links that apparently had a home on every continent in the world and evolved all at the same time? Where's the half human-half fish guy? Or half ape-half fish guy?

Disclaimer: not on top of evolutionary knowledge. If any of this has already been scientifically explained without any question, please forgive my ignorance and inform me. I will research it and pass it along to my school-aged kids.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
That's where you lose people.

I could care less that the theory of evolution is taught in school. It's a scientific theory. It belongs in public school science classes.

Big bang theory, some stuff happened out in the cosmos....everything evolved from a big hot gas ball exploding. How so? How did some part of that big hot gas ball end up as a worm and another part end up as a dinosaur? Or a tree? Or a fish? Or a parasite? Wrong place, wrong time? Wrong dirt/dung pile?

Then we have the theory that all homo sapiens evolved from apes. But we still have apes...if humans evolved from apes, why are apes still running around picking lice off of each others backs? And where IS that missing link that is so elusive? Where's the unknown city of the missing links that apparently had a home on every continent in the world and evolved all at the same time? Where's the half human-half fish guy? Or half ape-half fish guy?

Disclaimer: not on top of evolutionary knowledge. If any of this has already been scientifically explained without any question, please forgive my ignorance and inform me. I will research it and pass it along to my school-aged kids.
I am not sure you understand the theory of evolution. Apes still exist today because the apes humans evolved from were NOT the same type of apes that exist today. In fact, both humans and modern apes evolved from this common ancestor.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
if humans evolved from apes, why are apes still running around picking lice off of each others backs?
I can't believe what I am reading.....you actually are old enough to have kids and can ask this? Sorry if that sounds rude but ... come on now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies