Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 PM

527 posts, read 467,697 times

Advertisements

A similar thread brought this question to my mind-

Creationists like to attack teaching in science curriculums the theory of evolution as first put forth by Darwin saying it is only a theory, and that the theory of creation as first put forth in the bible should also be taught to give a balance- my question is this- would these Christians still want to press the issue if since evolution and creation per the bible were being taught, they also added how muslims, or hindus, Native Americans, etc. believe the world was created ?

I personally would have no problem with the teaching of creation as told in the bible in school, as long as other religion's beliefs were covered equally, and as long as it was covered in History or Social Studies class, and not in Science class- I believe that kids today could benefit from exposure to beliefs of all cultures and religions -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 01:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post

I personally would have no problem with the teaching of creation as told in the bible in school, as long as other religion's beliefs were covered equally, and as long as it was covered in History or Social Studies class, and not in Science class- I believe that kids today could benefit from exposure to beliefs of all cultures and religions -
That was essentially the decision that the Federal Courts have come to. Creationism by any name is religion and not science and as a result has no place in the science curriculum. If you want to teach about the Christian bible it needs to be taught in connection with a course on comparative religion or plausibly history.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Creationism needs to stay in the only place it belongs: A religious studies elective. Evolution is a huge part of biology. Therefore, it is necessary when taking a class on biology or other life science class.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's not usually a matter of people wanting BOTH taught, although that's often what folks say. That can be done now like mentioned above. But there are those who don't want evolution taught as fact, or even taught at all. Those are usually the ones pushing for creation inclusion in science classes. Or "teach the controversy" by letting kids make up their own minds, which is the most ridiculous thing I can think of. I can't figure out why so many people think that makes any sense at all. What if they want to make up their minds that 1+1 = c?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:44 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Evolution over Creationism in public schools. Evolution is an undeniable science no matter what the religious think. If you want to learn Creationism, go to a RELIGIOUS school.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
A similar thread brought this question to my mind-

Creationists like to attack teaching in science curriculums the theory of evolution as first put forth by Darwin saying it is only a theory, and that the theory of creation as first put forth in the bible should also be taught to give a balance- my question is this- would these Christians still want to press the issue if since evolution and creation per the bible were being taught, they also added how muslims, or hindus, Native Americans, etc. believe the world was created ?

The two main schools of thought in the US as to how the world began is Creationalism and Evolution. I have no issues with evolution being taught as a theory and if other points of views were presented so that the child can critically assess the arguments for and against and form their own independent judgment. In many districts, evolution is taught as a fact and no alternative points of views are offered so children are being spoonfed evolution and not allowed to critically evaluate and form their own opinions.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
But there are those who don't want evolution taught as fact, or even taught at all. Those are usually the ones pushing for creation inclusion in science classes.
You are absolutely right and that became abundantly clear through the testimony of the defendants in Tammy Kitzmiller, et al. v. Dover Area School District, et al. (400 F. Supp. 2d 707, Docket no. 4cv2688).

An outstanding documentary on the Dover School Board Case and one hell of an explanation of the current research on evolution.

Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial | NOVA | PBS Video

Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The two main schools of thought in the US as to how the world began is Creationalism and Evolution. I have no issues with evolution being taught as a theory and if other points of views were presented so that the child can critically assess the arguments for and against and form their own independent judgment. In many districts, evolution is taught as a fact and no alternative points of views are offered so children are being spoonfed evolution and not allowed to critically evaluate and form their own opinions.

Here's the problem:

There are no opposing scientific theories to evolution. It is being taught as a theory, as you said, and in science, a theory is as close to fact as you get.

Creationism is not and never will be science, no matter what term (Creation Science, Intelligent Design, etc.) you assign to it. There is no science whatsoever to it.

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
You apper to be misusing the term "theory." In science, theory is the highest level of certitude.

Evolution is both fact and theory. It can be shown to occur, which makes it a fact. Theories explain facts, which is what the theory of evolution does.

Think of gravity. Gravity is both a fact (it can be shown to occur) and a theory (relativity explains gravity).

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
And that is how it should be. Evolution is science and is a fact. If they go over Creationism, they need to go over all the other religions version of how the world began. Why just Creationism and the Christian version of it? Why just Adam and Eve? Why not Brahma? What about kids who are not Christian? Or Christians that aren't Hindu?

If you want to learn about that or your kids learning that, send them to a religious school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Here's the problem:

There are no opposing scientific theories to evolution. It is being taught as a theory, as you said, and in science, a theory is as close to fact as you get.

Creationism is not and never will be science, no matter what term (Creation Science, Intelligent Design, etc.) you assign to it. There is no science whatsoever to it.
Exactly. Creationism in my honest opinion-at most-is just a fable. It will NEVER be science no matter what they call it. Tell the kids to take a religious elective OR tell them to go to a religious school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies