Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Are you really saying he created 2 million NEW jobs? Please link us to that fact.
There are about two million more jobs in the economy today than there would have been without the stimulus bill. You would have to live under a rock not to have seen that reported, as its been in every newspaper as the result of reports like this...

CBO: Estimated Impact of ARRA on Employment and Economic Output

As for those programs to develop five million NEW jobs in the green economy in ten years, what are you Republicans doing to support that? Oh yeah, filibustering it and everything to do with it. Brilliant.

Quote:
If the economy was going to be choked to death by medical cost alone it would have happened long ago. Stop pretending it is the end of the world if we do not address HC.
If we don't do anything, in just a few short years, that $20 bill in your wallet will be a $16 bill because another $4 will have been sucked up by health care costs. Stop pretending that our past refusals to deal with health care aren't about to do us and our economy in.

Quote:
We need to address HC cost, that is true reform. Not this spend and tax scam job they are presenting. This scam bill wont save us a dime, it will cost us more and make the economy choke for real. Remember, less government is better.
Right. All those other developed countries and their better, cheaper national health care plans are proof positive that less government is better. And after all, all the current administration plan does is cover 30 million people, reduce costs, and lower the deficit. Hard to see why people could support a thing like that, isn't it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Mindset of some people on here
10% unemployment = if it's not happening to me, who cares?
21% cut to doctors who take medicare = I'm not on medicare yet, so I don't care.

These people have children who may not eat, may lose their homes,etc
We will have thousands of older Americans who will either not be able to go to the Drs. because their Dr. no longer takes medicare or they will have to wait months to get an appoinment.
Is this OK with you?
Instead of all the attacking one another going on, do any of you have possible solutions to these problems?
Remember, ' But, for the grace of GOD go I'
I wish I had the answers but, I don't. I just feel awful for everyone who has paid into these programs and now don't have them available when times are hard.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Two million jobs from the stimulus and counting. Not enough of course, given the colosaal dimensions of the mess Bush left behind. Then again, you were told by various people at the time that the stimulus package really needed to be at least twice the size it was if it was to have the desired levels of impact. I guess you've come around now to seeing the wisdom in that.

The stimulus package was 37% tax cuts. $288 billion worth of them. You got some. So did we get a job explosion or not?

Interesting that this would appear in the same post as a strident call for further tax cuts.
2 million jobs..lolol....right...More Obama math.

Problem is even if those numbers are true.....there not permenant jobs!

Money runs out...jobs run out!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Oh, the spin. I'm about to die laughing over here from all the spin.
You must have started reading your own postings.. Trust me, many of us have similar replies..
Quote:
Unfortunately, we didn't get rid of the idiot Republicans in time. By the start of 2007, the damage had already been done. The tax cuts for the rich,
Which caused unemployment numbers to drop.. Yeah, the damage of that taking place.. Tell me why they didnt reverse the tax cuts if they were so disasterous? They EASILY could have done so.. after all, they did have the majority.. So blame Bush for the Democrats incompetence, its much easier for you than to discuss facts..
Quote:
the diversion of productivity gains into corporate profits
Tell me what Bush did to cause this?
Quote:
the zero interest rates pushing up home prices and inviting the wolves of Wall Street into the secondary mortgage markets
Nice try but
1) Would this be the very same low interest rates you credited just the last couple of days for a lower national debt due to a lower 10 year note yield? Hypocritcal at its best.. Celebrate lower rates in one posting, while blaming them on another..
2) Wall Street did not get into secondary mortgage markets due to A) Bush, or B) lower interest rates. They have been in the market for DECADES, and lower interest rates would indeed mean lower interest, resulting in lower profits, thereby minimizing any interest in this as an investment vehicle, not expand it. Please focus and discuss facts rather than your typical bs..
Quote:
the relaxing of leverage limits, the refusal to recognize rampant abuse of subprime credit markets and the effects that would have.
Want to tell me what part Bush had to play in this?
Quote:
The real estate market had already cracked in the Spring of 2006. The credit crisis that would blossom into full view in the Summer of 2007 was already a done deal, and reluctance to do anything meaningful about it then brought us straight to the Fall of 2008. All Republicans. All the time.
So by your own admission, by time Democrats took office, it was "into full view".. Want to tell me what actions Democrats took in 2007? How about 2008? Tell me what DEMOCRATS did to be proactive in what you now admit was "in full view"?
Quote:
The Democratic Congress did finally bottle Bushie up, leaving him unable to do much further damage, but faced by record-breaking Senate Republican obstructionism and the ever-waving veto pen, it was no mean feat to get anything actually constructive done at all. S-CHIP for instance died twice, but the LONG OVERDUE increase in the minimum wage did finally make it through the minefield and began to put purchasing power back where it was needed -- remember the real median income of all households not at the top of the income scale had FALLEN between 2000 and 2006 -- but things were too far gone and too fundamentally wrong for that alone to have had any decisive effect.
We know all about obstructionism, we're seeing it still today. Those very same individuals who stopped any "repair" which could have taken place in 2007, "in full view", did not take place. WONDERFUL JOB... All of this of course is ridiculous and an outright lie by you because one of the first things Democrats did was to raise minimum wage, despite most individuals proclaiming this would increase unemployment. Democratic response, the market is strong, and can absorb any new losses.
Quote:
LOL. What you mean to say is that even the Republicans who created the crisis had to rush off to Congress for funds when the inevitable results of their unprecedentedly poor stewardship came to smack them in the face. Oh, we've brought ourselves to the brink of a global financial meltdown. Maybe we should do something about that. Yeah, maybe we should. Nice freaking work, Republicans! Thanks so much for all that...
Wait, why would they need to rush off to to pass funds when you just admitted it was "in full view" since 2007? It doesnt appear that they rushed anywhere until it was too late. Your plain view synopsis is either an outright lie of the truth, or it shows the inactions of those who held power, being Democrats.. Either way, YOUR PARTY FAILED..

Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
when is enough credit card debt enough? Good for this senator.
tell us liberals how much debt is enough to stop spending?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
.....and what kind of logic is it that says....

"vote for this bill....even though THERE IS NO MONEY to pay for it...."

Certainly not good logic....just like the not good logic that says....

" Simple! We'll just PRINT MORE MONEY....."....

Everyone out there simply must realize that printing money simply to pay people off with it is a very bad idea....leads to run-away inflation and devaluation of the currency....and if we continue with this "policy" we will lead ourselves down the road to third-world nation status....
In order for money to be worth something people have to value it.....money needs to be based on some value...some standard. If we turn money, specie into nothing more than ink on paper then the system that works because this currency has value will cease to function....I've seen MANY countries where the monetary unit was devalued to the point of ridiculousness "million dollar" bills and that type of thing.....I've personally witnessed money being devalued and "old" money literally blowing down the streets like trash...like dried leaves....Lets not set America up for failure....like the failures of Wiemar Germany in the 1920's.....because such disasters typically lead to unpleasant consequences...

Old 03-03-2010, 04:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Roy...it's about $2.5 trillion that's been built up since 1983, and all of it is invested and earning interest.
Show me the proof of what you say. The Congress has spent over $3 trillion that they considered surplus because of what I said.

Clinton's surplus was just what they called surplus from SS and that makes me wonder about that surplus you talk about.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Two thousand federal transportation workers were furloughed without pay on Monday, and the Obama administration said they have a Kentucky senator to blame for it.

Federal reimbursements to states for highway programs will also be halted, the Transportation Department said in a statement late Sunday. The reimbursements amount to about $190 million a day, according to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

The furloughs and freeze on payments were the result of a decision last week by Republican Sen. Jim Bunning to block passage of legislation that would have extended federal highway and transit programs, the department said. Those programs expired at midnight Sunday.

The Associated Press: Senate impasse puts federal employees out of work

Thanks, Jim!!!
I see that a bunch of you left leaners here really don't know what PayGo is or you don't think that it means anything.

BTW, Bunning backed off today so now all those federal workers can be paid off. I wonder how many of them will get anything. I guess none.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
The Dems should not be faulted with the current job situation. Noone can expect them to turn around 8 years of mess the republicans left behind. If our economy is a mess its a mess because Bush left it that way. Its going to take some time to un-do all the mess this man created. Never has any president made such a mess of our country in recent history.

Now as far as this Bunning guy. Was he in office when Bush was giving all of these handouts to banks? If so, why didn't he vote against it?
Exactly how did Bush do this? I hear you guys make the claim, but what exactly did Bush sign into law that caused the economic collapse?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
The Dems should not be faulted with the current job situation. Noone can expect them to turn around 8 years of mess the republicans left behind. If our economy is a mess its a mess because Bush left it that way. Its going to take some time to un-do all the mess this man created. Never has any president made such a mess of our country in recent history.

Now as far as this Bunning guy. Was he in office when Bush was giving all of these handouts to banks? If so, why didn't he vote against it?

Bush was just the Executive branch. When did Pelosi and Reid take over the Legislative branch?

You have been fed a vision that is just smoke & mirrors.
How you forget, there is a House and Senate making the laws and really running the country. Who is Barney Frank, again? What is he in control of and has been? The President just agrees with them with his signature. He can't change a bill when it hits his desk.
Ignorance breeds fear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies