Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:18 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
What is sad is that you seem to be little more than a Beckian like talking point, especially as unions are barely over 7% of the private workforce, yet you don't seem to have the capacity to critically evaluate what your masters are telling you.
With typical aplomb and right on cue, you have assumed once again.

I work for a living. Beck comes on when I am at work… both on TV and on the radio.

You are silly. But I appreciate you providing the fodder for your own discrediting.

That 7% may seem small but when you consider the industries plagued by unions, it is a clear picture that unions are a nuisance that have destroyed production in this country

Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The sad thing is, that you as a liberal dont get that the decrease in American production is a direct result of Unions and thier democrat thug allies in congress driving up production costs.
Most union membership nowadays is for government paid positions, civil servants. In the private sector, as said, it's down to 7-8 percent of the total workforce.

Yes it is cheaper to pay someone 50 cents an hour in China and ship it over, than pay someone a decent wage in America. Every administration and every party in the last 30 years - Republican and Democrat; Reagan, both Bushes, Clinton, Obama... have either allowed this to happen, or done nothing to alleviate the issue.

So like what... do you want to make 50 cents an hour, live to the same standard as them? Just to support the rights of corporations which want to rake in billions off the common person?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:59 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
This is a real issue that both sides need to address. I have seen all the good paying good benefit manufacturing jobs in my area just go away. We have no unions and the jobs still left because they can pay slave wages elsewhere. Even if UE goes to 3% and those jobs pay little money the standard of living will continue to go down. Maybe politicians need to start taking action on this or they need to go.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Now ain't that the pot calling the kettle black.

Quote:
The sad thing is, that you as a liberal dont get that the decrease in American production is a direct result of Unions and thier democrat thug allies in congress driving up production costs.
1st off, I've never referred to myself as a democrat, which you seem to have confused with being a liberal. In fact, since I've 1st started posting in this forum, I've been highly critical of both political parties. And I've always referred to myself as an independent.

Quote:
I work for a living. Beck comes on when I am at work… both on TV and on the radio.
Well, at least you admit being a Beckian, at least you're being upfront about it.

I guess its much easier to just repeat what Beck indoctrinates you with rather than do the hard, mundane and painful task of researching what he commands you. Else you would've known that the private sector union is barely over 7%.

Quote:
You are silly. But I appreciate you providing the fodder for your own discrediting.
Okay Beckster, just how is it that unions are destroying manufacturing in this country? How are they hurting corporations?

Tech companies have made a killing by hiring hb1s and giving American workers the shaft.

Corporate America has wrecked havoc with many workers' pensions.

And frankly despite your claims that unions are destroying manufacturing, manufacturing is not even a heavily unionized industry in the 1st place.

"Private sector industries with high unionization rates included transportation and utilities (22.2 percent),telecommunications (16.0 percent), and construction (14.5 percent)."

Quote:
That 7% may seem small but when you consider the industries plagued by unions, it is a clear picture that unions are a nuisance that have destroyed production in this country
So, your telling me with all the outsourcing/offshoring, hb1 hiring, downsizing, price gouging, tax payer funded bailouts and subsidies, along with dwindling private sector unionization rates, labor, particularly organized unions have wrecked havoc on industry and production.

Man beck must be slangin' some powerful crack or someone has just got the biggest man crush ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It is difficult to deprogram the ones programmed by TV programmers. It just does not compute.
Ain't that the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
This is a real issue that both sides need to address. I have seen all the good paying good benefit manufacturing jobs in my area just go away. We have no unions and the jobs still left because they can pay slave wages elsewhere. Even if UE goes to 3% and those jobs pay little money the standard of living will continue to go down. Maybe politicians need to start taking action on this or they need to go.
I hear a lot about how we can't compete with guys like China because of their low standards for wages, safety, health etc.

Yet Germany and I think maybe even Denmark do well when it comes to trade and manufacturing. So I think the claims that developed nations just can't compete in manufacturing and trade is a myth that is long overdue for a debunking.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

In SC we have little to none of union representation. We have never had unions and yet all our manufacturing jobs left. They were paying 10 to 12 dollars on average and it still didn't stop them from leaving. This is not a topic to blame on Dem's or re pub. This is something that has been happening for a long time but feel free to blame Obama I expect that. That kind of thinking will make sure we lose all these jobs and capability's.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Hmm, the thread topic states: Required Reading for Tea Parties and Other Angry Peoples!

Well, I haven't attended a tea party since I was six years old with my dollies and I don't consider myself an "Angry Peoples" (lol) so I don't know if I could thoroughy appreciate your thread.

But I do feel that your obsession with all things Glen Beck is concerning.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Hmm, the thread topic states: Required Reading for Tea Parties and Other Angry Peoples!

Well, I haven't attended a tea party since I was six years old with my dollies and I don't consider myself an "Angry Peoples" (lol) so I don't know if I could thoroughy appreciate your thread.

But I do feel that your obsession with all things Glen Beck is concerning.
You should read the article. This may be the one thing that all of us needs to agree on and find out exactly where every politician stands on it. We need to forget about a lot of other issues until this one is made right. I wonder do we have the skilled labor needed to produce arms and other things for a major war like WWII?

Old 06-28-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
In SC we have little to none of union representation. We have never had unions and yet all our manufacturing jobs left. They were paying 10 to 12 dollars on average and it still didn't stop them from leaving. This is not a topic to blame on Dem's or re pub. This is something that has been happening for a long time but feel free to blame Obama I expect that. That kind of thinking will make sure we lose all these jobs and capability's.
They're not interested in solving problems.

That thought is the farthest thing from their minds. All they care about is their precious talking points, everything else be damned.

Unless the public understands the need for public campaign finance reform, so politicians are not so dependent on multinationals, America will continue to be up for sale, turning tricks for the highest bidder, both foreign and domestic.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,625 times
Quote:
Whether you call yourself a progressive or a partier, this is an issue to get riled up over.

"There are many historical precedents of countries and empires failing after having lost their productive capacity. It is an ancient concept: a country that does not have industry cannot support an army."

If it could happen to the Romans,....?

"I wonder if the middle class is drugged up on Britney Spears, Michael Jackson and Tiger Woods; addicted to sugar, salt and fat; fake "news" shows on television; and Prozac to deal with depression and lull them into thinking that their condition is beyond control."

How old are you, 12? Were the first words out of your mouth "PARTY PEOPLE, PARTY PEOPLE, PARTY PEOPLE"?. What the hell is that all about? Why do you feel the need to keep repeating yourself? If you had a point to your post, it has fallen on deaf ears(and not just mine either). Grow Up man, you PARTY LOVING MAN

Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
They're not interested in solving problems.

That thought is the farthest thing from their minds. All they care about is their precious talking points, everything else be damned.
Notice that the recent critical points focused mostly on trivial issues rather than any thing relevant about the state of manufacturing in the country.

I posted this some months back but it is as relevant today as it was then.

Quote:
I hope all of you (at least the ones that have not been totally enthralled by the Rushie and Foxie Show) realize that when presented with factual data, those who live in an alternate Beck inspired reality will either:

1. Selectively list and spin data to support the delusions their spreading.
2. Ignore, avoid and refuse to answer direct questions.
3. Try to drown out the relevant data by posting nonsense after nonsense, so the data will be pushed to the back burner and forgotten.
4. And/Or find a wedge issue to deflect and distract from the queries.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies