Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times

Advertisements

Whether you call yourself a progressive or a partier, this is an issue to get riled up over.

"There are many historical precedents of countries and empires failing after having lost their productive capacity. It is an ancient concept: a country that does not have industry cannot support an army."

If it could happen to the Romans,....?

"I wonder if the middle class is drugged up on Britney Spears, Michael Jackson and Tiger Woods; addicted to sugar, salt and fat; fake "news" shows on television; and Prozac to deal with depression and lull them into thinking that their condition is beyond control."

Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Excellent articles here and here.

Its a shame these guys' forewarnings about the situation we are facing today was not heeded.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:14 PM

Another good article on manufacturing while this paints a bleak picture about the privatization of once public spaces.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 PM

Party people, if you're mad and not gonna take it anymore then you need to listen to this man right here, my man Fritz.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Whether you call yourself a progressive or a partier, this is an issue to get riled up over.

[b]"There are many historical precedents of countries and empires failing after having lost their productive capacity.
Drill baby. Oil Rigs. More refineries. Coal! Shale! Compressed Natural Gas. Incorporate hydrothermal, wind, solar - however you can without double quadrupling the cost. Build More Nuclear! Desalination plants! Invest in science: NASA. Physics. Space Exploration. DARPA. Remove taxes on energy; the cheaper our energy is, the more we will produce.

Last edited by mossomo; 03-05-2010 at 11:34 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 AM

Will the Partiers stand up for something worth fighting over?

Or are they just Wall Street stooges of the cult of Beck?

"Most important, a major manufacturing resurgence is key to overcoming America’s debt-fueled economic crisis and to re-establishing prosperity based on wealth creation and earnings."

Old 03-06-2010, 08:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
I think you should be addressing UNION proponents as they are a major reason, along with government regulations, that our manufacturing base is nearly non-existant (priced & regulated out of the competative markets). The Tea Party people already "get it".

Old 03-06-2010, 09:35 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think you should be addressing UNION proponents as they are a major reason, along with government regulations, that our manufacturing base is nearly non-existant (priced & regulated out of the competative markets). The Tea Party people already "get it".
You failed to mention unfair trade agreements with China. Tax the hell out the garbage that they send us. If we did not have regulations in business we would be producing the toxic dry wall and toys that China has supplied us with. The middles class will never thrive without its manufacturing base. The Tea Party Mad Hatters should be addressing these nonsensical trade agreements.

Globalization Is Killing The Globe: Return to Local Economies

From the days of Adam Smith, classical economics pointed out that manufacturing and extraction are the only two ways to "create wealth."

"Wealth" is different from "income." Wealth is value, which endures at least for some time. Income is simply compensation for work. If you wash my car for $10 and I mow your lawn for $10, we have a GDP of $20 and it looks like we both have income and economic activity. But no wealth has been created, just income.

Thom Hartmann: Globalization Is Killing The Globe: Return to Local Economies

Old 03-06-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So instead of considering CEOs that make hundreds of times the salary of the vast majority of their employees in the states and probably thousands more in 3rd world, and yet prices never seem to drop despite increases in productivity and none in wages, and yet they still get rewarded for failure with tax payer fueled bailouts and bonuses

BUT

unions and at best lax regulation are the cause of our recent maladies?

Oh how I wish, I could be swept off my feet, and whisked away to Glen Beck's parallel universe, and rest my weary head on Bristie and Sarah's bosoms.

Alas, one can only believe so much in hopey changey, you betcha.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
So instead of considering CEOs that make hundreds of times the salary of the vast majority of their employees in the states and probably thousands more in 3rd world, and yet prices never seem to drop despite increases in productivity and none in wages, and yet they still get rewarded for failure with tax payer fueled bailouts and bonuses

BUT

unions and at best lax regulation are the cause of our recent maladies?

Oh how I wish, I could be swept off my feet, and whisked away to Glen Beck's parallel universe, and rest my weary head on Bristie and Sarah's bosoms.

Alas, one can only believe so much in hopey changey, you betcha.
I didn't say that either so don't put words into my mouth.

I do believe that what we see in corporations whose stockholders are not able to prevent their CEO's through their boards from voting themselves "golden parachutes" is a direct parallel to U.S. citizens allowing Congress to vote themselves pay raises, to vote into law legislation that does not apply to themselves, and to participate in the unfettered spending of taxpayer money. It is a parellel to the executive branch of our government using the FED for its personal piggybank.

No, more government is not the answer as their corruption is worse than that of corporations. If it were not, government influence could not be bought by corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies