Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,450,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Bernanke delivers blunt warning on U.S. debt - Washington Times

Keep thinking you can fund Medicare, SS, and the overbloated military. We'll see how well that works for ya.
People getting Medicare and SS paid into those. What needs to be cut way back are the food stamps, Medicaid, SSDI, and programs that pay people who never paid a dime to help fund them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:36 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
People getting Medicare and SS paid into those. What needs to be cut way back are the food stamps, Medicaid, SSDI, and programs that pay people who never paid a dime to help fund them.
You forgot about the military. All the rah rah nationalism in the world can't fund ospreys, more nuclear aircraft carriers and next generation fighter aircraft. Russia had to scale back after the Soviet Union fell, and very very soon it'll be our turn to scale back.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The first thing that will go is other entitlements. Then we will see.
How can anyone think this is a great time for the government that is out of money to spend to take over our entire health care system? Why would we want to create the biggest entitlement program ever when there's no money for the entitlement programs already going?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 AM

8,584 posts, read 9,058,690 times
Quote:
I think you mean SSI not SSDI. There is a difference and a big one. You must have paid into the system to recieve SSDI but not SSI which does not come out of SS. SSI is welfare SSDI must be paid by the receiver. And it is very difficult to get in most cases and can take years.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You forgot about the military. All the rah rah nationalism in the world can't fund ospreys, more nuclear aircraft carriers and next generation fighter aircraft. Russia had to scale back after the Soviet Union fell, and very very soon it'll be our turn to scale back.
The Constitution allows for the federal government to maintain a military.

What it doesn't allow for are the huge welfare programs, the free housing, free food, free everything.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,853,697 times
Quote:
People who receive funds from Medicare and SS, get far more back than they ever paid into them.

Example: When the programs were established, where was the promise of housing? Yet many seniors enjoy seniour citizen housing on the taxpayers dime. How about prescriptions, (yes, that plan created by Bush), when was that also a part of the plan? There are lots of other examples as well, heating bills, phone bills, cable discounts, all subsidized by the govt because one is a "senior"..

Fact is, no one ever paid into the plans to justify them receive all of these subsidies. What happened is there was a surplus of funds for several years, and rather bank them for future rainy days, they increased benefit after benefit until we have what we have today... its turned from an "insurance" policy, to a way of life for far too many americans with no sign of things to slow down anytime soon.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I think you mean SSI not SSDI. There is a difference and a big one. You must have paid into the system to recieve SSDI but not SSI which does not come out of SS. SSI is welfare SSDI must be paid by the receiver. And it is very difficult to get in most cases and can take years.
Thank you for the correction, yes I meant SSI. It's now time to end the welfare state.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
People who receive funds from Medicare and SS, get far more back than they ever paid into them.

Example: When the programs were established, where was the promise of housing? Yet many seniors enjoy seniour citizen housing on the taxpayers dime. How about prescriptions, (yes, that plan created by Bush), when was that also a part of the plan? There are lots of other examples as well, heating bills, phone bills, cable discounts, all subsidized by the govt because one is a "senior"..

Fact is, no one ever paid into the plans to justify them receive all of these subsidies. What happened is there was a surplus of funds for several years, and rather bank them for future rainy days, they increased benefit after benefit until we have what we have today... its turned from an "insurance" policy, to a way of life for far too many americans with no sign of things to slow down anytime soon.
I would not mind if the government would return all the money I've paid into Medicare and SS, preferably with interest but I'd be glad for the actual money I've paid in and let us opt out.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
How can anyone think this is a great time for the government that is out of money to spend to take over our entire health care system? Why would we want to create the biggest entitlement program ever when there's no money for the entitlement programs already going?
The individuals who think its a great time to take over the healthcare system, does so because they understand that there is profit to be made by the govt doing so. They have absolutely no problem removing these profits from society and giving them to the govt because they dont understand the economic ramifications on society..

They also are probably the same individuals who currently buy care, and would like to stop cutting that check every month, and see the government as the solution to saving them money.

yes, there are individuals who would LOVE to see the govt take over huge sections of our economy.. Banking, insurance, healthcare, are such prime examples.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I would not mind if the government would return all the money I've paid into Medicare and SS, preferably with interest but I'd be glad for the actual money I've paid in and let us opt out.
I agree.. I stopped paying into it 8 years ago when I re-adjusted my long term finances and investment strategy.. Never looked back.. I wont ever receive a dime, and can guarantee I'll be better off than those who will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies